Roobus's K20A2-Powered LBZ on BaT

But to my knowledge, there are no I4 transmissions that differ from the units installed from the factory on 07K engines. I'll FB message @Bobkat and try to get him over here to clarify.
Thanks. I'm way outside my field of expertise, but I don't see any way this thing fits in a 32.5" space.
Mentally, I've sort of moved on to a JDM option. My lead mechanic is anxious to get going on it, so we may start on Plan J by next week.

Thanks. I'm way outside my field of expertise, but I don't see any way this thing fits in a 32.5" space.
Mentally, I've sort of moved on to a JDM option. My lead mechanic is anxious to get going on it, so we may start on Plan J by next week.

So......what is it you are after ?? Massive amounts of power ?.....Or something that might fit without a lot of chassis hacking ? Light weight or you dont care ? Huge budget or on-the-cheap ? I've checked out many of the options....and might be able to help you choose a bit........

Oh no...here in North America we certainly got Eagle Talons in 2wd...both turbo and non-turbo...from about '90-'98. And also other Mitsubishi Eclipse in 2wd..again both turbo and non-turbo. Also same cars sold as a Plymouth Laser.......but I think only '90-'94....

And i think that Lemons rotary-swapped X1/9 had the engine longitudinal using a Porsche transaxle. Cant imagine the hacking to have got that in there......

So more DSM gearbox donors even better. Then swap in the EvoIII gears and double synchros.

Think if Lancia didn’t think to extend to install the 037 engine longitudinal. That kind of thinking is what makes engine swaps worthwhile and make world rally champions.

If I were swapping something into an X, I’d be going tubular to ditch the wasted cubby hole space to have a proper functioning rear grille and increase engine compartment size. Then measure. One reason I don’t have a X. No space and lousy access.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late information, I am swapping in a 07K with 0A4 (KPF) transmission that came from a Jetta. Not sure how the KPF compares in size to other VAG trans but it was used in Diesels in other markets. I guess for the 07K they chose it for the torque capabilities. The package will fit with some relocation of the accessories. Alternator and water pump will be flipped to the other side of the motor. There will be some cutting of the frame for clearance but mostly for strength and stiffness. This will be an ITB motor and the goal is 220 to 250 wheel with about the same torques.

old school fit test. The plumb lines are from left to right, trans cover, right axle flange and the face of the pulley.

IMG_7651.jpg

Now the new kewl Skewl method. I wish it was easier to put up videos. I have scanned the motor and the bay. Will it be a no cut, no will it go in yes.

1664850042816.png

I considered a A855 (or a normally aspirated variation) from the neon srt which loosely is a 4G69 with a DOHC head mounted backwards, which is a better layout for going in an X because the exhaust is in right orientation. But in fact the package is bigger than the 07K package by about 1.5 inches. And the width of the package is also thicker than the 07K. The 07K is only thick in the timing chain area. The A855 is a big 4I. It would have been nice because we have a lot of experience with the platform and have a tone of gofast bits and spares.

Here is our Track ACR that is around 450-500 hp depending on the loaded tune.

IMG_8741.jpg

rare occasion that they are side by side.

IMG_8740.jpg

I considered a A855 (or a normally aspirated variation) from the neon srt which loosely is a 4G69 with a DOHC head mounted backwards, which is a better layout for going in an X because the exhaust is in right orientation. But in fact the package is bigger than the 07K package by about 1.5 inches. And the width of the package is also thicker than the 07K. The 07K is only thick in the timing chain area. The A855 is a big 4I. It would have been nice because we have a lot of experience with the platform and have a tone of gofast bits and spares.

Here is our Track ACR that is around 450-500 hp depending on the loaded tune.

The factory SRT4 rallyteams (Doug Shepherd) were unbeatable back in their day.

I had a 1G DSM AWD recce car for many years. Had several different race engines and occasionally did some Time Attack and rallyx that it did well in. Strong little boosted engines.C4693DB5-D78C-40EB-B478-746779EE79F0.jpegFDF6DA9C-2C39-47B1-8A82-4A269774E624.jpeg31197B15-972A-4F41-8563-39871631B465.jpeg

Raced in plenty of Evos. Drivetrain-wise much stronger than Subaru.

Last edited:
The factory SRT4 rallyteams (Doug Shepherd) were unbeatable back in their day.

I had a 1G DSM AWD recce car for many years. Had several different race engines and occasionally did some Time Attack and rallyx that it did well in. Strong little boosted engines.View attachment 66650View attachment 66651View attachment 66652

Raced in plenty of Evos. Drivetrain-wise much stronger than Subaru.
and so much better looking than a Subaru. We meet a guy at the salt-flats with a 900 plus HP billet block 1G DSM AWD it was a monster.

So......what is it you are after ?? Massive amounts of power ?.....Or something that might fit without a lot of chassis hacking ? Light weight or you dont care ? Huge budget or on-the-cheap ? I've checked out many of the options....and might be able to help you choose a bit........

All good questions-- and all relevant to why I was interested in Roobus' LBZ to begin with.
We've done a lot of motor swaps over the years, so am not a neophyte-- no, we don't need a 650 HP Hellcat motor in an X1/9.

Mainly I'm interested in what would fall solidly into Resto-Mod territory. Basically, the answer to the question of "With a lack of engaging, affordable mid-engine sports cars in the market today (718, Lotus, etc being way too expensive. Toyota announced today that we shouldn't hold our breath for that new MR2 that was rumored-- it ain't coming), what would an updated, practical X1/9 look like today?"

My list is (roughly):
Zero cut, minimal cut installation
Manual transmission
Brakes upgraded from FIAT parts bin to Abarth/500 Turbo calipers, pads, rotors
200HP to the wheels m/l
Retain front trunk
Retain rear boot
Better seats
Better rubber
Better telematics
Still analog driving
Retain the original character of the car
Meet modern emissions
OBD-II port
Modern gas mileage

At the end off the day, one clear area for inquiry really becomes "What Modern Engines actually fit in the engine bay without firewall removal and tank/spare relocation"?

One of the things I liked about the LBZ on BaT, which is where I started on this thread, was that it was true to the original spirit of the Lancia, while hitting most of the items on my "wish list".

I should probably start a fresh thread over under projects-- given all the experience here I'm sure people have a great handle on the What Fits question.

Thanks for the interest!

All good questions-- and all relevant to why I was interested in Roobus' LBZ to begin with.
We've done a lot of motor swaps over the years, so am not a neophyte-- no, we don't need a 650 HP Hellcat motor in an X1/9.

Mainly I'm interested in what would fall solidly into Resto-Mod territory. Basically, the answer to the question of "With a lack of engaging, affordable mid-engine sports cars in the market today (718, Lotus, etc being way too expensive. Toyota announced today that we shouldn't hold our breath for that new MR2 that was rumored-- it ain't coming), what would an updated, practical X1/9 look like today?"

My list is (roughly):
Manual transmission
200HP to the wheels m/l
Retain front trunk
Retain rear boot
Better seats
Better rubber
Better telematics
Still analog driving
Meet modern emissions
OBD-II port
Modern gas mileage

At the end off the day, one clear area for inquiry really becomes "What Modern Engines actually fit in the engine bay without firewall removal and tank/spare relocation"?

One of the things I liked about the LBZ on BaT, which is where I started on this thread, was that it was true to the original spirit of the Lancia, while hitting most of the items on my "wish list".

I should probably start a fresh thread over under projects-- given all the experience here I'm sure people have a great handle on the What Fits question.

Thanks for the interest!
I have thought that the 1.6L turbo from a Ford Fiesta ST might be fun in an X. I would expect it to be compact, but I don’t know any dimensions.

I’m also a fan of the Mazda MZR series, and both Mazda and Ford turbocharged it with impressive results in transverse applications.

what would an updated, practical X1/9 look like today?"

My list is (roughly):
Manual transmission
200HP to the wheels m/l
Retain front trunk
Retain rear boot
Better seats
Better rubber
Better telematics
Still analog driving
Meet modern emissions
OBD-II port
Modern gas mileage

If Fiat made the X19 today, it would use the 1.4 DOHC (non multiair) engine like the Fiat 500 abarth / modern 124 spider with or without a turbocharger... If Abarth got a hold of it, then it would be the 1750cc dohc version as per the works rally car 124 spiders use, and the alfa 4C uses with a turbocharger (with 240hp and 350Nm or torque and a six speed transmission- with dual clutch and paddle shifts)

the 1750cc turbo engine can be tuned in excess of 500hp.

Geneva_MotorShow_2013_-_Alfa-Romeo_engine-2.jpg

SteveC

Back