14" momo's

Those are the best looking wheels I have ever seen on an X 1/9! Period-correct look, they fit the style of the car so well!
I agree. They are Campagnolos but I'm not sure the exact model name/number.
I have a set of knock-offs in 15" that are for 100mm bolt pattern front wheel drive cars. I had a set of spacer-adapters made to correct the FWD offset and the bolt pattern (and center bore diameter) to fit one of my X's. This will allow a wider selection of tires in 15".
Were the real Campagnolos in this style offered in 15" and a 98mm bolt pattern? Personally I prefer 15" wheels/tires on the X's body over 13 or 14" (strictly speaking aesthetically). But I also really like the wider version of the 14" BiTurbo wheels on the X. Wheels are a very subjective thing.
As for tire size, for my car I'm not too concerned with retaining the stock circumference; I feel the increase in final drive ratio with a larger diameter tire is a benefit. Speedo accuracy is a myth on my car anyway. And any modern tire will offer improved handling over the original stock type tires. I do not care for low profile tires on classic cars, but I do like wide ones. So a aspect ratio of 55 (possibly even 50 for 15" diameter) seems about right to me.

I have a set of knock-offs in 15" that are for 100mm bolt pattern front wheel drive cars. I had a set of spacer-adapters made to correct the FWD offset and the bolt pattern (and center bore diameter) to fit one of my X's. This will allow a wider selection of tires in 15".
Were the real Campagnolos in this style offered in 15" and a 98mm bolt pattern? Personally I prefer 15" wheels/tires on the X's body over 13 or 14" (strictly speaking aesthetically). But I also really like the wider version of the 14" BiTurbo wheels on the X. Wheels are a very subjective thing.
As for tire size, for my car I'm not too concerned with retaining the stock circumference; I feel the increase in final drive ratio with a larger diameter tire is a benefit. Speedo accuracy is a myth on my car anyway. And any modern tire will offer improved handling over the original stock type tires. I do not care for low profile tires on classic cars, but I do like wide ones. So a aspect ratio of 55 (possibly even 50 for 15" diameter) seems about right to me.

Yes. My taste goes for "pie cutter" tires. My MG has 13 inch wheels, only 4 inches in width.

Very fun to kick the back out on switchbacks.

I would like to retain the 13" wheels when I get my X 1/9...but those wheels are so "right" for this type of car.

I've got some old Campagnolo brochures that Al Cosentino sent me in the 70s. I'll see if I can ID them. Back then, they were "the" high end wheels for the X. Too expensive for me at the time but years later I got a mountain bike with Campy wheels. They also made high end bike equipment and wheels for other exotic applications.

I've got some old Campagnolo brochures that Al Cosentino sent me in the 70s. I'll see if I can ID them. Back then, they were "the" high end wheels for the X. Too expensive for me at the time but years later I got a mountain bike with Campy wheels. They also made high end bike equipment and wheels for other exotic applications.

Funny you mention that!

I just got Al's "FAZA" bible last week.

So far, it has been a very interesting read, to say the least!

I was certainly born and raised in the wrong era...

My taste goes for "pie cutter" tires. My MG has 13 inch wheels, only 4 inches in width. Very fun to kick the back out on switchbacks.
I'd like to mount four of those emergency "space saver" wheels/tires that are extremely narrow and hard (I think they have like 100 psi), just to go drifting with.

download.jpg

Those are the best looking wheels I have ever seen on an X 1/9! Period-correct look, they fit the style of the car so well! What model wheels are those? I know they are Chromadoras, but do they just bolt up, or do I need to modify the arches or wheel wells to accommodate them?

hello.. those wheels are CAMPAGNOLOS, but you can see my CROMODORAs on my webpage.

http://trazia.com/x19/cromodora.html

Regards

Ricardo

FEDERAL 185-55-14

I use on my 14's campagnolos FEDERAL 185-55-14 easy to buy anywhere in US

xweb-072.jpg

I found an old FAZA catalog that has something that looks like those wheels. This photo shows them in 5.5x13, 6x13, 5.5x14, 6x14":

FAZA Order Blank.jpg

In the next photo, that style wheel is noted as "Bertone Design". Also note the photo of the Campagnolo satellite chassis:

FAZA Brochure.jpg

Admittedly I do usually like the bigger rims and smaller tires BUT my mind was changed looking at a magazine article years ago featuring a Datsun 240 with I believe 13" rims. I loved it, it was beautiful. Now, on a modern car I do like the larger rims, I liked the 16s on my old Civic, and the 17s on my wife's CX5 but on my '79, I like the 13s.
XXXXX.jpg

Back