1974 intake manifold

seems to me it will fit
If I did read it right and that one is the best if staying stock then I'll once again suggest Dino66. He's sent me a number of items already and not a single issue. Don't let the fact that he's in the UK deter you. As soon as you say you want something he has it's "very well packed" in a box and on its way. PM him, pick his brain and maybe he can help with the carb too?

1300 intake will fit on a 1500 head without any issues. A 34 carb with early intake manifold is a very nice setup. Dual carbs will give amazing throttle response and a nice growl. But you will need zen like patience to get them balanced right.

I have dual IDFs on my internally stock 1500 and it runs great. No idea of mileage as it's not an issue on this car.

Back when I raced a car with a English ford engine, I used to get things shipped from England often. Would take about a week.

For Fiats I have found some stuff from Greece, again no issues with shipping but expect about a week.

I can find that manifold and ship it Monday if you want it. I can also take some pictures of it next to the IDF type intake, since I have one of those.

With the IDF type manifold you could use a IDF or DCNF those come in a few different sizes, 36 up 46.

Back when I raced a car with a English ford engine, I used to get things shipped from England often. Would take about a week.

For Fiats I have found some stuff from Greece, again no issues with shipping but expect about a week.

I can find that manifold and ship it Monday if you want it. I can also take some pictures of it next to the IDF type intake, since I have one of those.

With the IDF type manifold you could use a IDF or DCNF those come in a few different sizes, 36 up 46.

Sure some pictures would be great thanks

Found the old manifold, and took some pictures with the IDF type. This is a manifold from a 1979 X I don't have a older one to compare. I think the IDF type would be a better set-up, you could use a DCNF or a IDF, for a stock engine a DCNF might be a better choice.
P1010015.JPG P1010016.JPG P1010017.JPG

Found the old manifold, and took some pictures with the IDF type. This is a manifold from a 1979 X I don't have a older one to compare. I think the IDF type would be a better set-up, you could use a DCNF or a IDF, for a stock engine a DCNF might be a better choice.
View attachment 31237 View attachment 31238 View attachment 31239
Wow that IDF manifold is cool looking. What is that off of and what kind of carb goes on that? Is that manifold a direct bolt on?

The one I refer to as the IDF type, set up to use a IDF or similar, I think I got mine from a E-bay seller in Greece. It is for a 2 throat type carb where both open together, not a primary / secondary. I plan to use it on the 128 that will eventually be a vintage race car, I heard that I might be in a slower run group with one carb instead of 2. So plan to use on large carb. Each carb throat will feed 2 cylinders. Also no water cooling, the head I tapped and inserted set screws into the 2 water holes that would connect to the manifold. Yes it is a direct bolt on, but like others have mentioned the 128 and the X engines sit at a slightly different angle, might not matter, or could make a tapered carb plate to adjust.

The one I refer to as the IDF type, set up to use a IDF or similar, I think I got mine from a E-bay seller in Greece. It is for a 2 throat type carb where both open together, not a primary / secondary. I plan to use it on the 128 that will eventually be a vintage race car, I heard that I might be in a slower run group with one carb instead of 2. So plan to use on large carb. Each carb throat will feed 2 cylinders. Also no water cooling, the head I tapped and inserted set screws into the 2 water holes that would connect to the manifold. Yes it is a direct bolt on, but like others have mentioned the 128 and the X engines sit at a slightly different angle, might not matter, or could make a tapered carb plate to adjust.

do you have a picture of the type of carb that goes on that manifold.

DCNF and IDF are both popular aftermarket carbs.

In theory, the DCNF is for transverse engine (like the x19) while IDF are usually for longitudinal engine (like the 124 Spider), but many members have attended the contrary with good success.

BTW, the intake manifold for the IDF cars will not accept a DCNF carb. The bolts configuration isn't the same.

Performancewise, both the DCNF and IDF are a plus compare to the stock x19 carbs.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=weber+idf+40&qpvt=weber+idf40&FORM=IGRE

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=weber dcnf&qs=n&form=QBIRMH&sp=-1&pq=weber dcnf&sc=0-10&sk=&cvid=C069A2EEEC2F46718892E75FEC307885

The IDF doesn't have a cold start feature, the DCNF doesn't have choke but it does have a fuel enrichment feature.
Both are available from several sources, many on E-bay, new and used.

All these option I’m lost at what I should do now. I’m pretty sure I wanna do a 74 manifold but not sure what carb I should run

The reference to a "1974 manifold" reflects the fact that in 1974, the intake and exhaust manifolds were more opened and the carb usually a little more performance oriented. If you are moving to a DCNF or IDF carb, the year doesn't matter.

The interest for a 1974 x19 part is generally because they are made for the x19 and are cheaper than a more performance oriented part. Also, in some racing organisation, this is a swap that is allowed without bumping you into another class. But if you are considering a IDF manifold, you are alreday one step ahead of the 1974 intake manifold.

The reference to a "1974 manifold" reflects the fact that in 1974, the intake and exhaust manifolds were more opened and the carb usually a little more performance oriented. If you are moving to a DCNF or IDF carb, the year doesn't matter.

The interest for a 1974 x19 part is generally because they are made for the x19 and are cheaper than a more performance oriented part. Also, in some racing organisation, this is a swap that is allowed without bumping you into another class. But if you are considering a IDF manifold, you are alreday one step ahead of the 1974 intake manifold.

what I was saying is if I use a stock 74 intake manifold for the reason of them being more open. What carburetor would be a good option with that? I have a header and a borla exhaust already

The intake manifold from 1974: "These manifolds are sought after because they were cast with the widest, most free-flowing runners of all 2bbl downdraft carb manifolds supplied on the X1/9.Due to emissions issues starting in 1975-78, the intake runners dropped significantly in size. Even the 1979-80 1500 intakes do not have runners as large as this one." Source Midwest Bayless web site.

The carb used in 1974 was a Weber 32 DMTR. But a 34 DMTR will fit on these intake manifold and offer more performance.

You will find some details about carbs differences at:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/weber-34-dmtr-dmtra-and-dat-differences.11449/

what I was saying is if I use a stock 74 intake manifold for the reason of them being more open. What carburetor would be a good option with that? I have a header and a borla exhaust already

A USA '74 X1/9 1300 or Euro X1/9 1500 intake manifold is what you're after, as they have the larger-sized ports compared to other stock carb'd X1/9 manifolds. Pair it up with a Weber 34DMTR or 34DATR, & this combo is just fine for a spiritedly street-driven car, with no mounting issues, carb linkage fabrication or other things to deal with. The DMTR is for cable-activated choke, the DATR/A version is for water (coolant)-activated choke. Pick the version you want, bolt it & the manifold on, get the jetting dialed in & you're done. It's a good bang-for-the-buck combo proven by both X1/9 & 128 owners here for decades.

I used the 32DMTRA that came with my car for several years with a FAZA 35-75-75-35 cam and a total desmog. It worked well but you probably want to go up a size or two on the fuel jets over stock. They ran a bit lean from the factory.

If you just want to spend money on your car there are plenty of good intake options. If you just want to improve the performance of your '79, economically, replace the weak link, the stock carb. An earlier carb will bolt on, is easy to find, and relatively inexpensive. And, you'll get 75% of the performance that the more expensive options offer. The early carb on your stock manifold won't impress anyone though. If you want to impress spend the money to get the dual DCNF setup.
If you want a better performing engine, do the dual DCNF setup, add a cam, and bump up the compression.
If you really want to spend money there are plenty of other things you could do.

If the engine is stock, original cam, exhaust and compression, then you only want a small carb upgrade. If completely stock stay with a single carb. To use twin carbs, you would also want a exhaust header and a mild cam, with stock compression you have to stay with a fairly mild cam.
With a single carb, two basic options, primary/secondary or both open together. The primary/secondary works with the OEM Fiat intake. The type where both open together, you need the type intake that I have.
To much carb or to much cam and you won't have any low RPM power, less ideal on the street, more suitable for the track.
Just some basic guidelines......

The original carb is rather small so there is room to upgrade, many options.

Lots of great information offered here. It can get confusing. I suggest you begin by reading through the related sections of Steve C's write up:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/ultimate-sohc-engine.22546/

It is long, some of it won't apply to you, unfortunately a lot of the pics are gone, and much of the content refers to Euro spec stuff. But it is still a great overall reference that will explain a lot of your questions. You may need to read it a couple of times to absorb it all.

My general thoughts are that for a street driven, relatively stock X1/9 (which includes your exhaust system), a single carb set up is preferred over dual carbs (I repeat, this is my opinion). A "progressive" carb (independent primary and secondary throats, similar to the various stock carbs) will offer the best general drivability, while a fixed two throat (e.g. Weber DCNF) should offer a slight performance increase - particularly at the top end (higher RPMs).

The comment about the '74 intake manifold having the largest port openings is a little misleading. My understanding is it has the largest of the US spec manifolds. But the Euro spec is slightly larger. How much difference with any of them make is questionable. Your stock 1500 manifold will be fine for many of the carbs that fit it for normal street driving. If you plan to do any racing or track time then that's a different (and MUCH more expensive) situation.

It sounds like cost is one of the considerations for your goals? If that's the case I suggest forgetting about any aftermarket manifolds and matching Webers, and stick with a factory (stock) type manifold and one of the carbs that fit it directly. Otherwise I like a single Weber DCNF on an appropriate (aftermarket) manifold.

Back