4age silver top conversion

good one gerard, so how much clearance on the extractors (firewall and between engine and trans.)
you haven't said what your'e doing about driveshafts,hope you make it as simple as everything else you do
cheers
pete

the clearance between the fire wall and the extractors is only around 30mm.....haven't actually measured it, but I am hoping that with the acl heat shield in place, this will be enough. between the block and the extactors is a little more.
Drive shafts are getting farmed out to Gonzo. He's taking them to his work to join the toyota ones with the fiat ones. They have the necessary gear ( lathe etc) to do the job. I think that this should be ok as we are only dealing with 160hp what do you think?.....if not, I have been quoted $600.00 a pair to have complete new ones made.
ps it's not a bad looking foot hey!

look much like the MR2 pieces. Man, it's nice to see these pics. As you've positioned the engine, you'd have to say it's a good thing you chose a 20v, with its distributor mounted on the end of the intake cam, because it doesn't look like there's enough space for the 16v's mounted on the exhaust side of the block. Hm. More to think about.

Those bottom engine mounts were a bit tricky to put together, I will try and get some better pics of them for you .
A distributor mounted on the engine block would definately make it more of a challenge, although I have deliberatly mounted the engine as close as possible to the firewall for two reasons.
I wanted to have enough room on the inlet side to make an inlet plenum without intruding into the boot and i wanted the weight of the engine as far forward as possible. Heres hoping it all works.

I haven't had a lot of time to spend on the fiat lately but I managed to make a bracket to mount the toyota gear lever to the tunnel. The only draw back to the way I set this up, is that the handbrake warning light switch will no longer fit, not a big deal to me. After having a good look in the tunnel I decided not to go with my original plan of extending the toyota cables with rods ( to hard to make it work around the handbrake rods) (Pete you said this would be the case too). I looked into having longer cables made but they wanted $500.00 for the pair......I ended up buying two "universal" push pull cables (2mts long) at just $70.00 each. I then welded the toyota ends to these, hooked every thing up and it all works quite well with all gears easily selected.

While I haven't had a lot of time to work on the car I have been able to gather some parts in my travels
two new fuel pumps (delivery pump and high pressure)
fuel lines and fittings
weld on radiator neck ( for the new coolant tank yet to be made)
stainless bends (for the inlet plenum Yet to be made)
Gonzo is laser cutting a stainless flange for the intake plenum
and my 10inch Whoa brake kit should arrive soon
Getting closer

My whoa brake kit arrived yesterday, I couldn't wait to fit them up to see how they looked.
The kit is of very good quality and is a very straight forward fit with just a couple of very minor hitches.
first is that the caliper mounting brackets need to be bolted up with the whoa engraving facing away from the wheel, not facing out as the instructions stated.
second is the dust shield needs to be trimmed to allow clearance on the mount bracket.
and I now need to get longer wheel bolts ( the instructions did however say to look out for this)

I am yet to bleed them and of course road test them but so far I am very satisfied with the kit and think that it was money well spent. and a very resonable price.

Woops! About those instructions....

Don't know how that inconsistency on the position of the brackets got in there, but we'll get it fixed. Thanks for the head's up.

-Matt
Midwest Bayless Italian Auto

Along those lines Matt...

Do you feel the "dust shields" are necessary... especially in a racing app?

I tossed mine long ago (street use) after one or two broke from vibration I guess... they were cracked and rattling. Anyway... never looked back and never had any cooling or fade issues...

Your thoughts...

Wheel bolts

and I now need to get longer wheel bolts ( the instructions did however say to look out for this)

Gerard,

Are these of any use to you?

IMG_4179.jpg

Brand new - I have a sack of them.

Regards,

Brian

Gerard,

Are these of any use to you?

IMG_4179.jpg

Brand new - I have a sack of them.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian, they could be, what size socket fits the head? I would need to see if the appropriate socket would fit into the holes in my wheels, as my bolts are a allen key head and are a very neat fit into the wheel. It would really help me out if they did fit as so far I have been unable to source any at the regular outlets.
thanks Gerard.

17mm

Gerard,

17mm is the go.

I too have been having troubles finding studs at the usual places - for my Performance Challengers.

I thought these were the answer, but they just bottom out. Still haven't come up with anything that suits.

Regards,

Brian

Gerard,

17mm is the go.

I too have been having troubles finding studs at the usual places - for my Performance Challengers.

I thought these were the answer, but they just bottom out. Still haven't come up with anything that suits.

Regards,

Brian

I just measrued my wheels Brian....and no luck .... a 17mm socket is way to big to fit. thankyou very much for your offer though. I think I will probably convert my hubs to studs and use barrel nuts.

its been a while

progress has really slowed lately, hard to find time.
I have just finished stripping the un wanted stuff from the wiring loom tonight, so that is a real relief!
I also managed to convert the front wheel hubs to studs and bought some barrell nuts to hold the wheels on, so the front brakes are all sorted now with no clearance issues.
The Inlet plenum has been started....but I have now run out of Tig gas so thats on hold until I get some more.
The gear lever bracket that I started a while back is now complete and mounted.
the fuel system and the remote oil filter are both plumbed in.
and I got some a swanky new electric speedo and tach for my birthday so now I have to build a new dash cluster......
here are a few pics....
gearlever.jpg

whoabrakes.jpg

leftovers from the loom......
leftoversfromthewiringl.jpg

Thanks charlie. The lever is from the half cut I bought, it was a Toyota Levin, not sure of the year though mid 90s I think.

Toyota Levin

I don't believe that model was sold over here in the USA. I used a shifter out of an early MR2 but yours looks like a much better choice. I really like the way you have built it into the tunnel. I had to sink mine much deeper into the tunnel because the cables attached between the mechanism and the shift knob, not near as nice. I'll bet that shifter was used on some model over here, I guess it's a trip to the wreaking yard. Mine is connected to a Lancia gear box and the cables were too short which also required more linkage because I couldn't get to the back of the box then come over the top. However I have discovered that in a Lotus Elise the cables go under the transaxle and come up from the back and over the top ( just right ). I was able to find a set of these cables on E-Bay for $80 US and bought them. They are not installed yet but when I do I would like to update the shifter at the same time. Your project looks great so keep up the good work.

Charlie

all those wires

sure bring back some memories from the swap I did. Keep up the great work, enjoy the pics and story line.

Charlie, try looking for a Trueno!!

Old Fiat Driver;68744[I said:
......I don't believe that model was sold over here in the USA.
.........I'll bet that shifter was used on some model over here, I guess it's a trip to the wreaking yard.

Used Jap import AE101/111 Toyota Levin's are very commonplace here in NZ, and appear to be very similar (if not identical) to Trueno's, which I believe were sold in USA in high volumes.
You may have more luck looking for one of these in a wrecking yard, moreso that a Levin!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

I don't believe that model was sold over here in the USA. I used a shifter out of an early MR2 but yours looks like a much better choice. I really like the way you have built it into the tunnel. I had to sink mine much deeper into the tunnel because the cables attached between the mechanism and the shift knob, not near as nice. I'll bet that shifter was used on some model over here, I guess it's a trip to the wreaking yard. Mine is connected to a Lancia gear box and the cables were too short which also required more linkage because I couldn't get to the back of the box then come over the top. However I have discovered that in a Lotus Elise the cables go under the transaxle and come up from the back and over the top ( just right ). I was able to find a set of these cables on E-Bay for $80 US and bought them. They are not installed yet but when I do I would like to update the shifter at the same time. Your project looks great so keep up the good work.

Charlie

this levin was never sold here in aus either, this is an imported half cut, how ever the corollas are pretty much the same I believe, with the exception of the engine.
this lever has been modified to better fit though, so when I pull it out again soon to fit the throttle cable I will take some better pics for you.

Back