4th. Annual Palos Verdes FIAT Fun Run-SoCal

I'm also remembering about late 1980-early 1981

working at some project sites near.....I think it was near Manchester in England in the cities of Wolverhampton and Walshall and in Lidney, on the Bristol coast. I never got accustomed to driving there. Shift with the left hand, gas pedal and brake with the left foot, clutch with the right foot.....in addition to driving on the wrong side of the road. I think I must have forced many, many other folks off the road.

I also remember asking for directions from Walshall to Wolverhampton and being told, "go to the roundabout and turn left on the dual carriage way". It sounded like English to me but I didn't realize that what the bloke was telling me was go to the rotary and turn left on the two lane divided highway. Anyway at the end of the day I enjoyed stopping in a local pub for a couple of pints of bitters and just talking politics, the economy, or soccer/football with the locals. I still have some fond memories of wheeling and dealing with the locals to trade President Reagan for Prime Minister Thatcher. That was after several pints. Great people, though.

Mike

Mike

Back