$500 fiat x19 need help with timing adjustments

Joemarf

I NEED TO HEAR MY FIAT SCREAM!! Someone please help I just bought a 79 x19 hasn’t run in 10-15 years, it has compression spark and fuel even got it pulling from the tank but I only got one cylinder to pop that’s it, I keep adjusting the distributor but it doesn’t help, I believe it’s timing related, cleaned plugs dis everything I could think off and she still won’t go, if anyone has any info about timing or anything in general that would help a lot

Welcome to Xweb.

I saw your post on FB. :)

You can start by reading through this Wiki tutorial to get a general idea of what you need to do to set the static timing. Granted, the engine used in the example is a 1500 FI with AC unit, but it is basically the same steps. If you X doesn't have AC, there will be fewer things to deal with. The entire Xweb Wiki is here.

Welcome to Xweb.

I would suggest reading this thread to get some ideas of how to time the engine. Check out the last pic which shows the orientation of the plug wires on the 90° cap.

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-new-1985-x-1-9.42591/

I know, different year and fuel injected but the timing discussion is where you need to start if you are getting gas and sometimes firing.

The first thing to verify is the overall timing which can be done without taking anything off the engine. Crank at TDC, verify the cam is also on the pointer under the black plastic cap and then verify the flywheel position. Finally rotate the distributor to the position shown in the pictures.

There is also a great document in the Wiki which shows the entire timing process with great pictures and verbiage.

Back