'74 style and Euro style bumper blocks curiousity...

petex19

True Classic
I have a gorgious set of fiberglass euro style bumpers made by "Ricardo" but I don't like the plastic bumper blocks and am curious how difficult it would be to find original blocks and I'll mount them to my fiberglass blades. I believe Ricardo made exact replicas of the the Euro set including the blocks so the mounting should be the same? Does anyone know if the blocks on the U.S set and the Euro set are the same and what material are they made of, steel or alluminum or ?

'PeteX1/9

Europe and US early bumpers are different

Europe and US early bumpers are different on size, shape and way to mount the blocks. the blades are longer front and rear and the rear ones have end on both sides.

I recreate my bumpers to make easy the installation because all the fiberglass bumpers vendors you can find on europe (europe version) they selling only the Fiberglass parts. (nobody sells the brackets)

THE HOLES TO INSTALL THE PLASTIC BLOCKS ARE IN THE SAME PLACE THAN THE REAL ONES BUT IF YOU TRY TO ADAPT ORIGINAL RUBBER BLOCKS ON THE FIBERGLASS BLADES MAYBE WILL NEED TO SEALED THE HOLES AND MAKE A NEW ONES .

I include here all the process to paint my actual fiberglass bumpers mounted on my car, you can see all the details, hope to somebody post the US version pictures here to see the diference between Europe and US style early bumpers.

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Using Foam as a gasket.

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Back side

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

The bumper on top is the original, the bottom one is the reproduction on fiberglass

IMG_0260.jpg

After installed, looks awesome!!

Front detail

CIMG1516.jpg

CIMG1520.jpg

CIMG1524.jpg

CIMG1523.jpg

CIMG1522.jpg

Rear view

CIMG1515.jpg

CIMG1514.jpg

CIMG1513.jpg

CIMG1511.jpg

CIMG1531.jpg

CIMG1529.jpg

Rear bumper block detail

CIMG1530.jpg

Clearance between the bumper blade and fender

CIMG1533.jpg

CIMG1532.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ricardo,

you have any spare blades that you want to exchange for some green paper?:laugh:

I found the 74 bumpers setup from matt

Midwest-Bayless is proud to announce availability of complete blade-and-block style bumper sets, with adapter brackets for mounting to any 1975-88 Fiat Bertone X19 with North-American style safety bumpers.

The photos below are of Midwest-Bayless kit bumpers fully installed.

BUMPERS-2.jpg

Ditch those big ugly bumpers for a complete set of blades and blocks to get the 1974 / European look!

BUMPERS-8a.jpg

Lose some weight while you're at it; those factory bumpers weigh almost 30lbs each!

BUMPERS-3.jpg

The mounts slide into place of the bumper shocks and secure with the original bumper-shock bolts. A 10mm hole will need to be drilled in each fender to secure the end of the blade to the body.

BUMPERS-7a.jpg

Includes 16 major pieces and all mounting hardware. Four bumper blocks, four bumper blades, four bumper mount adapters, and four bumper blade hanger brackets.

bumper-set-x-1.jpg

Blades and blocks are made of heavy fiberglass resin and include integral steel mounting points for rigidity and longevity.

The blocks are symmetrical, fitting to any corner, and are 1.25" shorter than a standard NA-spec block, so they give a nice, slim appearance with textured satin black finish.

The bumper blades, and TIG-welded mounts and brackets are finished in satin black.

Black button-head hex-key fastening hardware and spacers included.

bumper-set-x-6.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are interested in a partial kit, we offer a "Bumper Blocks and Mounts" set, which includes the bumper tube mounting brackets and blocks. These are the foundation of the kit, and conceal the hollow bumper mounts. You can add a "Bumper Blades and Brackets" set at a later date to complete the kit.

BUMPER-KIT-BLOCKS-MOUNTS-X19-a.jpg

BLOCKS-2.jpg

PLEASE NOTE! These are for off-road / show use only. These are not NHTSA or TUV certified and are not for crash safety protection.

For additional information, including extra photos, pricing and ordering:

BUMPER SET COMPLETE:
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=286510095

BUMPER BLOCKS ONLY:
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=286511495

BUMPER BLADES ONLY:
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=286512095

Hope it help you Pete :)

Just A Thought...

After looking at all those nice looking X's fitted with '74 bumpers (especially the blue '87) I thought it would be a nice touch to add the front and rear chrome guard bars similar to the ones AMCO had a while back.

I always liked that look.

All is made on fiberglass and mounted with screws and bolts

Ricardo what kind of glue did you use to put the bold on the bumper blocks. Thanks

Hi,

All is made on fiberglass and mounted with screws and bolts, inside the block it's added a bolt that can move, (this bolt is attached to inside the block with fiberglass). This helps you place it in the bumper, adjust, align and tighten in the correct position, the gasket just added it to avoid scratching the bumper.

IMG_0240.jpg

Back