800 Miles in an 86

fiatrn

Jonathan is the FiatRN
This last weekend I took my first drive in the 86 X I bought. I live in Colorado, the car was in NJ, and it went to my friend in Pennsylvania for some low grade refubishment. (here: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/86-bertone-for-sale.44699/#post-433330) After a 15 mile test flog on some curvy roads near Allentown PA, everything seemed ok, so I headed out to NJ.

I made it three miles before the car stalled.

fueltrail.jpg

I pulled to the side of the road, and found that the fuel line from the fuel rail to the cold start injector had unhooked itself at the fuel rail. It looked like the factory metal collet had undone. The line looked new. I thought my friend had replaced the hoses, so I was a little baffled, but... she picked me up some hose clamps, I reclamped the hose at the side of the road and was off to NJ! How this did not result in the destruction of the X1/9 is a testament to the low flammabiity of liquid gasoline ! And luck.

I drove down eastern PA along the Delaware River, through lovely small towns and over fun curvy roads, to cross the river at Washington's Crossing. Jonathan Crossing the Delaware was not immortalizied in a painting like when Washington did it, but fun to return to my home state none the less. I did some highway miles into NJ and spent a few days visiting Mom, where i shined the car up a little more one afternoon. It still won't win awards for paint, but a couple coats of spray wax should at least keep it safer and it did make it look presentable.

delbridgeX19.jpg

XatMoms.jpg

I bought this car off an member here, who hadn't used it much in the last few years. My friend in PA did a bunch of work, replaced the seive of a radiator, and swapped on some new tires. Everything seemed funcitonal except the radio - it has a cassette deck, but I had no cassettes. And it turned out the antenna is not wired up, so even listening to radio wasn't happening.

The car came with the original owner's manual in a little branded Bertone pouch. What I found baffling was that the pouch really doesn't fit into the glove box, unless I am willing to really fold/roll up the manual. An odd conundrum. The manual went with me on the trip but was never necessary.

bertonemanual.jpeg

Next on the adventure agenda was picking my girlfriend up at Newark airport, and then driving to Boston for the marathon weekend. After a small stint on i95 in southern CT we stopped for lunch, and when we got out of the car it smelled like gasoline. No fumes inside, just outside, I was unable to locate a fuel leak, even with the fuel pump running and the engine off. It just smelled like a fuel leak. This made me uncomfortable, but I couldn't locate any badness and it was a Saturday afternoon, so no shops were open. Onward, but off the interstate and onto smaller roads for a more fun X drive through CT, RI and into southern Mass. It used only one tank of gas from NJ to Boston, carrying two people, luggage, and doing plenty of highway miles.

Monday afternoon I fueled up in Dedham and the fuel smell was back. This time I found a tiny pinhol leak in one injector supply hose. I guess my friends didn't notice them underneath the manifold when they did the other fuel lines. Luckily I had a bag of parts in the trunk (the accelerator cable just in case, a clutch hose, and those 5 small short fuel hoses) that contained the fuel hose. I noted two things - one, that the hose to the cold start injector was newer but different than the hoses I had suppllied my friends, and two that the injector lines looked 'weepy'. I could only find one tiny pinhole leak in injector hose number 2, but the other ones looked bad. So in the darkness of an April evening I pulled half the manifold while my family helped me with lights and tools and a trip to the store to nab some hose clamps. It really wasn't a hard job, and having quality precut fuel hoses from Midwest really helped speed the process along. I determined that the line to the cold start injector hadn't been changed by my friends - they told me later it looked new so they left it, not realizing there were the lines under the manifold and not realizing that the collet wasn't in good shape. I guess the previous owner had swapped that One line but it didn't hold. They had done all the main, easily visible fuel supply and return lines.

With the fuel lines all fixed for real now, the car continued to work basically flawlessly. It has been a long time since I drove an X1/9 - - maybe 15 years, and that last one was a '74. I found this car delightful and fun, with much better power. The steering is excellent, the car is comfortable. Sound with the roof on is decent, with the roof off is considerabbly better than expected and less than the wind noise in my 124 top down. The 1500 makes far more power than I expected, though I do live at a mile high and everything is slower here. This X has an aftermarket cam and headers and a PBS light flywheel, and with the stock air intake system in place it's pretty quiet with just enough "music" but no drone. The 1500 is so so smooth - a veritable sewing machine. it has some sort of 'short shifter' that worked great and had none of the vagueness I remember from other Xs i drove when I worked on Fiats for a living in the late 1990s.

XatMill.jpg

Even though I drive small cars (a 124, an 850 sedan), the X is astoundingly tiny in the modern world. Driving on i95 I often felt invisible. Stopped at a light in NJ I marvelled at a giant car next to me that turned out to be a subaru crosstrek. Everything seems gigantic - but also, everything seems absurdly large bc the X feels fine as a driver and only small in comparison to the cars around it. It feels like it is as big as it needs to be.

My girlfriend took all of this madness with aplomb. Despite 5 years together, we've never road tripped in the 124. We did take the Lancia Delta on a long trip from CO through southwestern Utah. But despite being only 3 years newer, the Delta is a world apart in the feeling of modernity compared to the Bertone. The X is a bit more raw and a little harsher in ride, nvh, etc, plus down on power (what isn't down on power of the same vintage as a Delta?). I think she went into it wondering why I would choose to drive 800 miles in a 38 year old car rather than fly direct to Boston, but then she did seem to see the adventure side of it by the time we were back, albeit the risk of immolation was disconcerting to her.

XinDedham.jpg

I left the car in my friend's garage in Nazareth. She'll drive it for fun, and I'll use it on my next visit back east - perhaps this summer. Eventually I'll bring it out to Colorado.

Sounds like a grand adventure. Incidentally, I have seen identical fuel trails behind my red over grey metallic '85; in August 2012 I replaced all the original fuel hoses as preventive maintenance. When taking the car out for a spin in March of 2021, it left a trail of fuel behind, as the now 9 year old hose to the cold start injector had cracked close to the fuel rail. As luck would have it, earlier that day I had bought a 20 lb. pail of kitty litter for the garage. In case, you know, there should be a spill of some sort.

Great adventure getting to know your new X, and a great write up about it! I made my own foray from NJ to Eastern PA this Tuesday. I met another forum member down in Flemington, and afterwards decided to then head into PA. It was a beautiful day, and I enjoyed driving South along Rt. 32 as I paralleled the Delaware River, making my way down to New Hope. Checking out one of the stops along the Delaware Canal State Park route. Lovely area this time of year, and with some fantastic roads. Let me know if you're interested in joining up for a drive the next time your'e in Jersey.

Great adventure getting to know your new X, and a great write up about it! I made my own foray from NJ to Eastern PA this Tuesday. I met another forum member down in Flemington, and afterwards decided to then head into PA. It was a beautiful day, and I enjoyed driving South along Rt. 32 as I paralleled the Delaware River, making my way down to New Hope. Checking out one of the stops along the Delaware Canal State Park route. Lovely area this time of year, and with some fantastic roads. Let me know if you're interested in joining up for a drive the next time your'e in Jersey.
This last weekend I took my first drive in the 86 X I bought. I live in Colorado, the car was in NJ, and it went to my friend in Pennsylvania for some low grade refubishment. (here: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/86-bertone-for-sale.44699/#post-433330) After a 15 mile test flog on some curvy roads near Allentown PA, everything seemed ok, so I headed out to NJ.

I made it three miles before the car stalled.

View attachment 83756

I pulled to the side of the road, and found that the fuel line from the fuel rail to the cold start injector had unhooked itself at the fuel rail. It looked like the factory metal collet had undone. The line looked new. I thought my friend had replaced the hoses, so I was a little baffled, but... she picked me up some hose clamps, I reclamped the hose at the side of the road and was off to NJ! How this did not result in the destruction of the X1/9 is a testament to the low flammabiity of liquid gasoline ! And luck.

I drove down eastern PA along the Delaware River, through lovely small towns and over fun curvy roads, to cross the river at Washington's Crossing. Jonathan Crossing the Delaware was not immortalizied in a painting like when Washington did it, but fun to return to my home state none the less. I did some highway miles into NJ and spent a few days visiting Mom, where i shined the car up a little more one afternoon. It still won't win awards for paint, but a couple coats of spray wax should at least keep it safer and it did make it look presentable.

View attachment 83751

View attachment 83754

I bought this car off an member here, who hadn't used it much in the last few years. My friend in PA did a bunch of work, replaced the seive of a radiator, and swapped on some new tires. Everything seemed funcitonal except the radio - it has a cassette deck, but I had no cassettes. And it turned out the antenna is not wired up, so even listening to radio wasn't happening.

The car came with the original owner's manual in a little branded Bertone pouch. What I found baffling was that the pouch really doesn't fit into the glove box, unless I am willing to really fold/roll up the manual. An odd conundrum. The manual went with me on the trip but was never necessary.

View attachment 83755

Next on the adventure agenda was picking my girlfriend up at Newark airport, and then driving to Boston for the marathon weekend. After a small stint on i95 in southern CT we stopped for lunch, and when we got out of the car it smelled like gasoline. No fumes inside, just outside, I was unable to locate a fuel leak, even with the fuel pump running and the engine off. It just smelled like a fuel leak. This made me uncomfortable, but I couldn't locate any badness and it was a Saturday afternoon, so no shops were open. Onward, but off the interstate and onto smaller roads for a more fun X drive through CT, RI and into southern Mass. It used only one tank of gas from NJ to Boston, carrying two people, luggage, and doing plenty of highway miles.

Monday afternoon I fueled up in Dedham and the fuel smell was back. This time I found a tiny pinhol leak in one injector supply hose. I guess my friends didn't notice them underneath the manifold when they did the other fuel lines. Luckily I had a bag of parts in the trunk (the accelerator cable just in case, a clutch hose, and those 5 small short fuel hoses) that contained the fuel hose. I noted two things - one, that the hose to the cold start injector was newer but different than the hoses I had suppllied my friends, and two that the injector lines looked 'weepy'. I could only find one tiny pinhole leak in injector hose number 2, but the other ones looked bad. So in the darkness of an April evening I pulled half the manifold while my family helped me with lights and tools and a trip to the store to nab some hose clamps. It really wasn't a hard job, and having quality precut fuel hoses from Midwest really helped speed the process along. I determined that the line to the cold start injector hadn't been changed by my friends - they told me later it looked new so they left it, not realizing there were the lines under the manifold and not realizing that the collet wasn't in good shape. I guess the previous owner had swapped that One line but it didn't hold. They had done all the main, easily visible fuel supply and return lines.

With the fuel lines all fixed for real now, the car continued to work basically flawlessly. It has been a long time since I drove an X1/9 - - maybe 15 years, and that last one was a '74. I found this car delightful and fun, with much better power. The steering is excellent, the car is comfortable. Sound with the roof on is decent, with the roof off is considerabbly better than expected and less than the wind noise in my 124 top down. The 1500 makes far more power than I expected, though I do live at a mile high and everything is slower here. This X has an aftermarket cam and headers and a PBS light flywheel, and with the stock air intake system in place it's pretty quiet with just enough "music" but no drone. The 1500 is so so smooth - a veritable sewing machine. it has some sort of 'short shifter' that worked great and had none of the vagueness I remember from other Xs i drove when I worked on Fiats for a living in the late 1990s.

View attachment 83752

Even though I drive small cars (a 124, an 850 sedan), the X is astoundingly tiny in the modern world. Driving on i95 I often felt invisible. Stopped at a light in NJ I marvelled at a giant car next to me that turned out to be a subaru crosstrek. Everything seems gigantic - but also, everything seems absurdly large bc the X feels fine as a driver and only small in comparison to the cars around it. It feels like it is as big as it needs to be.

My girlfriend took all of this madness with aplomb. Despite 5 years together, we've never road tripped in the 124. We did take the Lancia Delta on a long trip from CO through southwestern Utah. But despite being only 3 years newer, the Delta is a world apart in the feeling of modernity compared to the Bertone. The X is a bit more raw and a little harsher in ride, nvh, etc, plus down on power (what isn't down on power of the same vintage as a Delta?). I think she went into it wondering why I would choose to drive 800 miles in a 38 year old car rather than fly direct to Boston, but then she did seem to see the adventure side of it by the time we were back, albeit the risk of immolation was disconcerting to her.

View attachment 83753

I left the car in my friend's garage in Nazareth. She'll drive it for fun, and I'll use it on my next visit back east - perhaps this summer. Eventually I'll bring it out to Colorado.
Give me a heads up on this one also! Can you imagine 3 Xs together??!! I've done some shows down in New Hope/French town many times.

Owners of FI cars---yet another testimonial for frequently inspecting your fuel hoses. Today's gas is murder on yesterday's hose materials. I don't think it's being overly fussy to plan to replace the pressure hose side of your fuel system every 4-6 years.

If you flip the passenger seat forward and look on the spare tire compartment cover, there is a pouch to hold the owner's manual portfolio.

Last edited:
Used to live in Milford NJ and spend time at my family's house in VT. There are some really lovely roads out that way. Taconic Pkwy is one of my favorites as well as the small roads in Bucks county and around the Delaware river. Perfect for this type of car.

Nebraska is beautiful and easy to live in, but the roads are straight and at mile intervals.

Thanks for posting about your road trip, it pleases me greatly to see how much you're enjoying the car!

It was a surprise to see that you had problems with the fuel lines as it didn't seem that long ago that I had replaced the lines and powder coated the hardware. Then I did the math and found that "not long ago" added up to something like twenty years. Maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised after all...

The owner's manual was already a bit dog-eared when I bought this car from its original owner, so I put it in the plastic folder to help protect it from further wear. The folder didn't come with this car but was one of two that was in the '87 X I had before your car. I've never seen folders like them anywhere else, so I don't know the story behind them.

The short shifter is just an OEM shift arm that has been cut down and had new threads cut in the top. The shifter also came out of the '87 X. I don't know when or why, but the shifter's plastic fulcrum had been replaced with a nicely made metal bit. It seems unlikely that makes a difference in how the shifter functions but having the plastic out of the way made it easier to fit in the lathe to make the modifications. I really liked the short shifter but if you don't, I believe the original shifter is among the parts I sent to Stephen and I assume you have.

Oh yes, the rest of the world does seem huge from the seat of a X1/9! My wife still will mention looking in the rear-view mirror while waiting at a stop light while driving a X and only seeing the license plate on the truck behind!

Please do keep posting about your adventures in your new X, I look forward to seeing how you and the X get along!

Cheers - dj

p.s. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about anything I did to the car when it was mine.

@Dan Sarandrea (Phila) - Thanks for the tip on the storage spot! I passed it along to Jennifer, so the manual should be safely stored there.

@SuperTopo - the hoses that were in there were 20 years old. My friends had missed them when swapping out all the other fuel lines for me. They were simply rotted, rather than not fitting. When I removed them, I grabbed them with needle nosed pliers and they tore in half. As pointed out, a good reminder for us all to make fuel lines a frequent replacement item.

I replaced them with whatever Matt at MWB sells. I trust him to have sent me excellent stuff.

@JimD - thanks! I passed it along to the girlfriend, who doesn't read Xweb. I bet she'll roll her eyes at me :)

@Tom Ginefra - we just missed each other, albeit on the opposite sides of the Delaware. I went south on the PA side and on my return trip, north on the NJ side. The PA side is a little prettier with better views of the river, but the speed limit seems artificially low between towns. Still great fun, though, and perfectly suited for the X. NJ is faster, but there's often that berm between you adn the river - maybe the edge of the old canal?

Thanks for posting about your road trip, it pleases me greatly to see how much you're enjoying the car!

The short shifter is just an OEM shift arm that has been cut down and had new threads cut in the top. The shifter also came out of the '87 X. I don't know when or why, but the shifter's plastic fulcrum had been replaced with a nicely made metal bit.

my memory of driving Xs was that the 1300 shifters felt far more precise than the 1500 shifters, which were always a little wobbly. Of course, they were also old cars in the late 1990s when i was working on them (occasionally, most of our cars were 124s). The 86's modified shifter is great - it is so precise! I loved it.

Please do keep posting about your adventures in your new X, I look forward to seeing how you and the X get along!

Cheers - dj

p.s. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about anything I did to the car when it was mine.
My next tentative trip east is the end of may, beginning of June. I'm not sure details but it might be fly into allentown and drive the car to usptate NY. We'll see.

The X performed so well on this trip, I feel totally confident in road tripping it in the future. I will have to do something about the stereo - it popped out of the dashboard a 1/2" over big bumps, and I think the antenna was unhooked, so I just listened to the voices in my head during the solo parts of the journey. And I'll start daydreaming of further maintenance it might need.

+1 on the idea that the X is a great car to do a long road trip in. As long as the regular maintenance has been done, they are comfortable, lots of storage and the motors love to be used. Just as has been said here before, make sure you have roadside assistance and enjoy the miles (or kilometers!)

Intrinsic and fundamental design of the exxe IS durable/reliable.. Decades ago when all exxes were younger, more than a few were used as a daily driver & commute car with zero issues and totally reliability, never stranded or had a issue... proper maintenance applied.

IMO, root cause of exxe problems today is age and lack of proper maintenance...
As exampled in this "800 mile road trip" discussion... injection hose failure caused "stop running"...

All of which could be easily prevented by simply replacing ALL hosed, and decades young beyond wore out bits...
Few do this... then complain their exxe is "un-reliable"... fragile and ////\\\\

Bernice

Took the family to the Jersey shore when the kids were jus young-uns. Flew into Newark and drove down to Stone Harbor for the week.

Kids were just at the right age to say "Dad - you're speeding".

True, the speed limit was 55mph, but I tried to explain that there was no way we could safely obey that limit. 80 mph was the flow of traffic.

Yes, Virginia, New Jersey has no speed limits. :)

Back