850 Coupe Not Starting

Thanks for all the suggestions. Trying to work through them all still.

Today we replaced the ignition coil and the ceramic piece attached to it. The connections were loose on the old one so I wanted to replace it as well. Also replaced the distributor cap which was old. Finally we installed a ground wire from the back panel to the bell housing. Please bear with me through this process - when I bought the car the PO literally cut, pulled, removed, etc everything so I have had to try and trace back every single wire. And I do not have another 850 I can look at for reference. And this is my first Italian car. I really appreciate all the suggestions!

Unfortunately, the car still did not start BUT...the ignition coil clicks each time we turn the key now and there is no spark jumping from the coil case to the body. I pulled the ignition coil wire out of the distributor cap, cranked the engine, but do not see any arcs when I put the wire to metal, so I think the distributor is still not getting power.

I have what might be a stupid question that I feel silly even asking. At the battery, the red wire is grounded to the body. The black wire routes from the battery to the back of the car. At the battery, does the red wire attach to the positive terminal or the negative terminal?

OMG! you may have realized by now but Fiats are negative ground cars, that means black battery cable to ground, however the cable going to the starter motor might be black now, but if it connects to the starter, needs to be positive. Some times red cables aren't red, get replaced, painted over or just covered in crud. If indeed you have grounded the + terminal of the battery, you're not going to get a spark. Positive GND would be a 50's or 60's era british car or a pre-63 Alfa.

Last edited:
There is a short red thick wire going from the battery area to the chassis. Then there is a long black thick wire going from the battery area through the cabin to the starter. Both are not painted or crud covered too much. The black also has a brownish wire next to it at the battery terminal.

I just used my multi-tool and the back wire at the battery is the same black wire bolted to the starter. However, there is a thinner red wire plugged into the started as well. I assumed this thinner red wire went to the steering column but have not checked it yet with the multi-tool.

Does all this sound correct?

Assuming so, then the red at the battery is negative, correct?

There is a short red thick wire going from the battery area to the chassis. Then there is a long black thick wire going from the battery area through the cabin to the starter. Both are not painted or crud covered too much. The black also has a brownish wire next to it at the battery terminal.

I just used my multi-tool and the back wire at the battery is the same black wire bolted to the starter. However, there is a thinner red wire plugged into the started as well. I assumed this thinner red wire went to the steering column but have not checked it yet with the multi-tool.

Does all this sound correct?

Assuming so, then the red at the battery is negative, correct?

Sounds about right. I run a modern ground wire from one of the water pump to block bolts to one of the bumper mount bolts under the coolant reservoir.

So the car is not turning over or the car is turning over? If not then you can create a jumper to apply power to the starter solenoid or use a remote starter switch https://www.amazon.com/Sunpro-CP785...62&hvtargid=aud-801657747996:pla-572172822137 to force the issue.

Your ignition switch wiring could be suspect leading to the solenoid or just a weak switch. You might consider a starter relay to take the load off the switch. I put one in the engine compartment near the coil.

I think I need to recheck timing on my Coupe now as well! The Manual I had said 10 degrees for the 903 (Chiltons I believe), which I guess is wrong.

Hey Michael, we live not too far from each other, maybe 1.5 hours. Us east coaster Fiat guys should get together sometime. I've got a 850 too, also a parts car.

Back