86 bertone. $8500..ebay.Not mine.

Agreed. Top dollar, only three not very detailed pics, less than two lines of description, and a seller with zero feedback.

Could be a super clean well preserved car, but we will never know from that ad.

Almost like he doesn't want to sell it. :eyepop:

I was going to say...

Reminds me of the car I used to own, with the exception of the dirty interior and the cloth seats. :p
Definitely not super clean though.
Too bad. If the engine bay looks like the interior, he might get $4-5K for it. Exterior is worthy though.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the car I used to own, with the exception of the dirty interior and the cloth seats. :p
Definitelynot super clean though.
Too bad. If the engine bay looks like the interior, he might get $4-5K for it. Exterior is worthy though.

Don't be so sure. Lack of very nice examples + the return of FIAT into the US could mean raising the price bar.

Not everyone is internet savy could explain the weak ad & storage dirt etc. would easily disappear with a good steam cleaning.

4k miles in 10 years sound familiar??? Not sure why the history report only starts in 2001 tho ... :confuse2:

Take a look here... would you ever think this X would fetch over 10 grand :eyepop:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979...1170737?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cc1e6deb1

FB left from both parties pretty much proves the sale :shock:

Great seller. Easy transaction. I would recommend this seller. Member id fsha3740 ( Feedback Score Of 8 ) Mar-11-12 14:16
Reply by oregonmotorcompany (Mar-11-12 15:13):
Thanks so much. Enjoy your 1979 Fiat X1/9 with just 42K miles!

Fiat (#260951170737) US $10,100.00 View Ite

the return of FIAT into the US could mean raising the price bar

I have thought about this and I hope it is true, and think the opposite might be true as well. Really nice classic Fiat 500's were selling for $15,000 the past few years (I got that for mine easily) But what if you can buy a new 500 for the same price, which is 1000% better car if you actually plan to use it? Or an new abarth 500 for $7000 more? Will the prices for the older 500's start to go down now that the new ones are here? There has to be at least a good percentage of Fiat enthusiasts that will now buy a new Fiat instead of help driving the prices of the remaining older nice cars upwards.

Point taken

A car is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay.

I actually favor the look of the car, but from my own experience , the owner would (potentially) have to put in a lot to bring it up to a reliable standard. I've learned what the expense of that is.

The early example you show is a good one, but note the difference in how the seller marketed it. LOTS of photos, clean, detailed history, etc.
That seller knew his car and let everyone else know it, but the guy with the '86 shows little in comparison. One can only assume that the seller is either inexperienced or it's being sold by a non-owner.

But you're right in that this car could fetch a pretty good price. Time will tell and
I'll be watching...

I don't think that one sale...

...bringing in a high price can be considered a trend. We have been looking at this question for well over a year now. Maybe 3 or 4 cars have sold for $4000 or more...Bob Browns trailer queen being one of them (WELL deserved).
The average selling price (not asking price) would have to move up considerably before any sort of trend on X1/9's value appreciating could be rendered. I really don't see much change in the last 10 years, or more. You can still buy a running X1/9 for $1000, just like you could back then. The overwhelming majority of these cars still range from $750-$3500.

I'm referring to the elite 1 owner time-capsule examples which are few & far... not just the basic runners. I paid over 5k for the low mileage example in my sig...granted it came with CD30s but still I knew it was pretty darn mint.

And this past year has been the lowest amount of For sale X ads that I can ever recall... and I recall really good :)

Back to this eBay X... I think it could be a treasure that just needs a little research done by the person in the market for an X... just my .2...

ps- T you probably would have bet the house that the brown X would never get that kind of loot :nuts:

...bringing in a high price can be considered a trend. We have been looking at this question for well over a year now. Maybe 3 or 4 cars have sold for $4000 or more...Bob Browns trailer queen being one of them (WELL deserved).
The average selling price (not asking price) would have to move up considerably before any sort of trend on X1/9's value appreciating could be rendered. I really don't see much change in the last 10 years, or more. You can still buy a running X1/9 for $1000, just like you could back then. The overwhelming majority of these cars still range from $750-$3500.

That car was not worth that $$$...

....in most everyones opinion. The fact that someone paid it only means it was worth that much to them. Ebay isn't the only venue out there for selling cars. Not too many X's for sale there currently...but if you go through Craigslist, there are always plenty to choose from. I look weekly at the link below to see what is available nationwide:

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.c...c=&fil=x&ys=&ye=&ps=&pe=&pgs=50&submit=++++go

The average selling price for these cars has been pretty steady for many years, and no real deviation has been experienced since Fiat has come back.

Will the prices for the older 500's start to go down now that the new ones are here? There has to be at least a good percentage of Fiat enthusiasts that will now buy a new Fiat instead of help driving the prices of the remaining older nice cars upwards.

This has not been the case for Camaro's, Challengers,etc.

Why has this not happened? Rarity and two completely different sets of buyers.

As for buying a cheap X by the time its fully sorted and painted that cheap car is not so cheap. Plus its just putting lipstick on a pig.

We all know how difficult it is to find a rust free, really nice X.

For the life of my I can't understand why many X owners bash the value of our cars.

When a really nice X gets sold at a classic car auction then we will be more in vogue. For the most part people haven't even seen an X in 20 years.

I could go on and on...

I am not bashing the value of an X...

....merely stating what the market has shown for the past 10+ years. I have been driving these cars off and on since 1983 and have watched the pricing for the entire timeframe. I also know what costs are involved in restoring them, trust me. The facts are out there. What these cars sell for states what the selling value is. Period. I have poured over $10,000 into personal X1/9s KNOWING I would never get half that money back. What they are worth to the owner is completely different than market value.

The fact that someone paid it only means it was worth that much to them.

BINGO ! Like we discussed in the past timing is everything! Having the right buyer looking when you have your FS ad up.

Trust me I'm right with you on Jaxed, or AutoTrader etc... Might be some decent Xs FS right now but in general FS ads are way down almost in half. More of us are hanging onto what we have + new blood is streaming in.

Felipe is onto something about value bashing. It's like an established bar/pub with the regulars.

i know the seller...

He has been a flu member since I have which is almost 20 years. He is an older gentleman with no computer skills. The fact that his adult kids are helping him sell the car for him just shows their interest. I spoke to his wife and he is just thinning the herd. He has 3 absolutely flawless, award winning 850 Spiders and a mint 850 based Siata Spring. He is looking to just keep the Siata and one 850. I would personally deliver a nut for one of his 850s. I cannot imagine that his X is anything other than an extremely nice example. I too was dismayed at the description, number of pics and the cleanliness of the car at the time they were taken. I am sure this is a "Real" mint car only needing a wash/wax and the routine maintenance that these cars require every few years. He has turned a corner and now realizes that he cannot give the attention that he has give to each car in the past. As he still enjoys his cars, he is not giving them away and knows the values of the cars he has.

Trust me, with a little schooling from the JJ university of photography and literary prose, this car would most definitely sell for the askking price this spring.

Now for the real question. Do you guys actually want to SEE this car sell for that money, or are you content to have the status quo of current values?

Last edited:
Huh? lipstick on a pig?

As for buying a cheap X by the time its fully sorted and painted that cheap car is not so cheap. Plus its just putting lipstick on a pig.

We all know how difficult it is to find a rust free, really nice X.

For the life of my I can't understand why many X owners bash the value of our cars.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

More pictures, now we can see the minty nature of the car. More details in the description would be nice, but amazing what just adding a few pictures does for an impression of the car.

As for the discussion of what we hope it sells for? I hope he gets what he wants for it. I want to see the value of our X's climb. I think they are currently drastically undervalued.

I would rather, for a daily driver, rather have the above X1/9 than this Porsche 914. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pors...8039807?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item256ded04ff

But look at the difference in presentation and marketing. The Porsche has 49 pics, and lots of description. It also has 38 bids with 3 days to go with a reserve not met bid of over $10K.

+1

.... I have poured over $10,000 into personal X1/9s KNOWING I would never get half that money back. What they are worth to the owner is completely different than market value.

I totally agree and have 1st hand experience with this.
As example, Mac-X restoration will dwarf this amount. Call me crazy (OK, I'm listening!!) but it's more than
a car value that drives many of us to do this. But an outright purchase is another story if you know up front
what work needs to be done to restore a car. It's not so cheap to do anymore.

Back