86 bertone. $8500..ebay.Not mine.

Of course you never get out of them what you put in but time-capsule examples don't fall into that category.

Original owner, 20k mile range in near perfect condition should be valued in the $8-$10,000 range IMO. Sure you can paint one but it wouldn't be the same.

Just like Jim found your X BB I'm sure there are many other potential X-head wannabees just looking for cherry examples. So market value is too broad a term and value should be judged on a one by one example basis.

So what you have to rejuvinate the hoses etc... sure... but that does not dictate a subtraction in value.

I have huge money in my collection over the years and now finally have the Corsa in the shop getting the Dallara kit fitted and paint. I do it because it's in my blood not for an investment.

So if this one sells for $8500 and we just saw what the brown one did... then there was the BAT example that sold very high... how many high sales does it take to change the minds. And there have been at least 3 or 4 other high sales. Didn't Aunt Mary? the X with the Saratoga go for big bucks too>? Not the norm for sure but the top examples have shown to bring high dollars :)

I didn't know you knew about

Aunt Mary's Saratoga. :shock: Certainly you were in tune with what went with that! :)
In general Greg I agree with you regarding value but a high price X doesn't necessarily go with a body in perfect shape, though I believe it starts there. The cost of restoration (my opinion) also plays a big part.
I know these cars (as with most cars) aren't an investment unless your business is buy/sell, but paying a high price for a car that needs costly resto doesn't make a whole lot of sense. (to me) Mine (formerly) needs literally nothing and has the best of the best in it, making the value justified, but this car still remains a big unknown.

I would bet that if he did a JJ style of advertising, this whole picture might change. Again, just my :2c:

Not necessarily...

....remember how little JJay brought in with the brown one HE sold just last summer?

Bottom line is about 90% of these cars are SELLING for $750-$3500. There have been select cars falling within the high 10% nearly every year since as far back as I can remember. I do not see any signs of some trend that is increasing the market value.

I love these cars as much as anyone here on the forum. I just do not see any trend of the increased market value, as this thread is about.

If the brown X was worth over $10K to someone, then this car CERTAINLY has to be worth $8500 to "someone". Much more appealing color combo, about half the miles, all original paint, one owner...if it's rust free and as nice as it appears I'll bet it sells at the asking price, eventually.

There was an article published in SCM a few years back when an Austin Heally 3000 sold at Barrett Jackson for 140,000... They said and I quote. This is what happens when you have two people in the room that have to have it because you can restore one for 70,000 retail at the best restoration shop in the country"

That said these cars are emotion cars. We dont buy them because they pencil. Thats Fancy talk for we dont buy them because the make sense on paper. I have sunk over 10 grand in an x before and sold it 24 months later for 3800. I have also purchased them for less than 500 bucks and resold them in 90 days for over 5000. It all comes down to what, when, why, and how, and often the color and timing play a role... Now lets see. Im going to sell my 80 Fiat X in about 40 days. Then we will see if the price is on the move or not.... :excited:

4.jpg

How much money would it take to make this 2nd ebay car to look like the 1st one in this thread? Way more than $8500. That is why I dont understand why so many people complain about the prices of these cars being to high. Just think how much money it would take to get an X to look like Bod Brown's old red/charcoal if starting with just an average shape X. I would say 2 to 3 times the money than what BBrown got for it. There are so many parts you cant get anymore and that is why these very nice condition X1/9s are worth their weight in gold and then some.

I think we are yakking about the prices/value being too low...just sayin' :confuse2:

Besides anything over 25k miles with muliple owners loses the "time-capsule" status IMO... that is why only these elite Xs should bring the very high $.

Everyone here on Xweb gets the X thing... similar to the Jeep crowd "you wouldn't understand"...

but the thing is we are a very small family :grouphug:

Well...

The original Mini was a bargain basement car for years. Part of that was that they were made until 2000. But unless it was truly a low mileage treasure Cooper S, $3,500-$5,000 was good money. Then, $10k seemed like stupid money, even for a Cooper S.

Then talk of the new MINI started circulating, and guys started holding onto their cars, and asking prices started to slowly creep upward. After the new MINI came out, prices started going WAY up. Now it's hard to find a decent Cooper S (60s model) for less than $25k. The minus is that it makes the price of entry much higher. The plus is that when cars are priced that way it becomes much more sensible to restore them.

So, bb4re, I hear what you are saying. Right now the bulk are trading around $3,500 or less. Most of those are o.k drivers but all have issues. They are just old cars. But, with FIAT coming back, interest in FIATs is starting to increase. The original Cinquecento up until recently would sell for $5k if it was restored. Now that seems to be about the entry price. I've seen the prices on 124 spiders start to creep upward, too. As more nicely restored examples are being sold, the prices will continue to go up, because suddenly it might make sense to sell the car you poured $10k into, or because that $1,500 car you bought several years ago might now actually be worth bringing up to more than "barely driveable" condition.

That's what I hope. I figure a little price creep would be good for all of us, whether or not we want to sell our cars.

Someone argued that when the selling price goes up, so does the cost of parts. I think just the opposite. Perhaps used parts might go up in value as they become more scarce. But new parts, including some that are absurdly expensive because they aren't made anymore, will go down in price as there is more demand, as once volume goes sufficiently high, you can justify import costs again, or can justify remanufacturing a part that is otherwise NLA.

Other things, like 13" tires that we've commented in other threads as starting to disappear here, will become available again as demand increases.

Anyway, that's my $.02 on the subject.

Back