'86 X project for sale

Nate W

Low Mileage
Putting my 1986 X1/9 up for sale. I have owned the car for a little over ten years but have lost interest. It is complete as far as I can remember and includes an extra 5-speed trans (needs rebuilt or for parts) and a '79 4-speed trans and 1300 carbureted motor from another parts car.

The good:
-Midwest rebuilt 5-speed trans with new clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing
-Midwest rebuilt and assembled cylinder head and cam
-Rebuilt brakes all the way around
-New fuel pump
-Fresh cylinder bores with new pistons

The bad:
-Needs paint and a few dings and rust spots, nothing major though
-Bottom end of motor needs rebuilt properly, low oil pressure
-Tires need replaced

My intentions were to do a full stock restore since this car is an excellent candidate for one. I've learned a lot from working on this car and may end up doing the motor work myself if no one is interested in it. However, it has been sitting under a cover in the corner of my shop for years now and maybe someone else would like to do something with it. Pictures are a few years old but it has been in storage since.

Looking for $3000 but open to offers. If anyone is seriously interested I can get it out and take more detailed pictures. PM me for contact information.

Attachments

• Fiat_1.jpg
    Fiat_1.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 275
  • Fiat_2.jpg
    Fiat_2.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 258
  • Fiat_3.jpg
    Fiat_3.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Changing the price to $2500
I could possibly deliver to anywhere in Michigan and northern Ohio and Indiana.
Pictures are as it currently sits with the reupholstered seats and extra motor.

20191219_161447.jpg 20191219_161815.jpg 20191219_162018.jpg 20191219_162212.jpg 20191219_162233.jpg

Anwhere? I am in copper harbor. LoL kidding Wish i had the extra $$. I would snag this but i have a pole barn project and my DD Just decided it wanted a new transmission for the new year.
Good luck with the sale

Odie

Nice project! - I'm sure someone will pick it up.

I think that's a 1300 motor on your stand BTW - not a 1500. Carbed '79s had electronic ignition, and I believe they didn't have phenolic cam gears at that point. If you look on the intake/exhaust side of the motor, you'll see a number like 128AS or 138.. if it says 138, it's a 1500. If 128, it's a 1300. (I'm pretty sure anyhow, it's been a few years since I've worked on 1300s). Cheers.

It may be a 1300. I'm going off of the information the guy that I got it from gave me. I brought it home, threw it on the stand, and its been there ever since. I'll check the casting number when I get a chance. Thanks for the info!

Looks like a Ducelier distributor. I don't think those were ever stock on the 1500 although I've been using one on my 1500 from the original 1300 motor.

The spare engine does indeed look like a 1300. As Myron says, probably need to look at the casting numbers - but - late 1300s had 138 on them. Maybe you can see the serial number on the block - on the right under the thermostat housing?

I don’t think any NA cars got the 138 based 1300 so it would be unlikely to run across one in Michigan. I could be wrong.

I don’t think any NA cars got the 138 based 1300 so it would be unlikely to run across one in Michigan. I could be wrong.
Why would you say that?
I've been collecting 1300 engines for quite a while now and I've got several with 138 cast on the block. I have no reason to believe that any of them came from outside the states. All of the 1300s with 138 cast on the blocks were from later model early cars - 78? Can't say for sure, I haven't paid all that much attention cause it doesn't really matter to me.
I would like to be able to point to the numbers cast on the block and say "Yep, it's an 1300 , look at the numbers cast on the block." Unfortunately I can't, because it doesn't work that way. Some of them have 138 cast on them.
Who knows why?

138A1 it's 1300, 138A2 it's 1500..at least for the italian marketed cars

the complete engine code it's stamped near the thermostatic valve housing, should be something like 138A4000 for the 1500

Why would you say that?
I've been collecting 1300 engines for quite a while now and I've got several with 138 cast on the block. I have no reason to believe that any of them came from outside the states. All of the 1300s with 138 cast on the blocks were from later model early cars - 78? Can't say for sure, I haven't paid all that much attention cause it doesn't really matter to me.
I would like to be able to point to the numbers cast on the block and say "Yep, it's an 1300 , look at the numbers cast on the block." Unfortunately I can't, because it doesn't work that way. Some of them have 138 cast on them.
Who knows why?
Hmm, as always, one does learn something every day. I haven’t run across any that said 138 but my 1300 experience has been limited especially in recent times. Thanks for the lesson :)

So the extra motor does have 128AS stamped on it indicating a 1300 not 1500 like I originally thought. If someone wants to pick that up separate with the four speed transmission that went with it let me know.

The rebuilt tranny was put in the car 9 years ago. There's less than 50 miles on it due to the engine problems.

It's always fun to look in people's garages. We should probably start a thread on that...with real people garages, not the GRM type garage. And you can't have your Fiat in there, just all the crap you normally have in there.

I'm of the opinion those guys with the GRM award winning garages don't actually do any work in them.

I have a friend like that. He spent more money and effort into remodeling his garage than the house. Turned it into something of a show piece. But he doesn't do any "garage" type work at all. Instead he pretty much lives in that garage in order to get away from the family (literally). So it's more of a man cave than a garage.

That's how I view those pristine GRM garages, as man caves not work shops (despite trying to disguise it with actual shop equipment).

In Orange County (SoCal) they even have a magazine devoted solely to showing off those "garage mahals". Just another form of "mine is bigger than yours" compensation. Classic Freudian psychology.

Back