Abarth manifold for twin DCNF for X1/9

Both my pre-crash Xs had blocked water passages in the head for the intake manifolds and I never had any vapor lock problems even in very hot weather here in Virginia. And it's great to be able to change manifolds without first having to drain the coolant in the block.. Tony, you are probably right on design concept but real life over comes it.

I don't think the water jacket was there to heat the intake manifold, it was there to cool the manifold or at least keep it below 200 degrees or so. The heat from the exhaust manifold would cause vapour locking when stopped or after coming off of a highway and idling in traffic.

TonyK.
Yeah you are right, water always regulate temperature what is in system, what mean that manifold is always cooling on temperature of water if is hotter, good thinking.

it was there to cool the manifold or at least keep it below 200 degrees or so
I disagree Tony. It was for emissions, quick warm up, and better cold weather applications (prevent icing). Same with all old cars with carbs.
Fuel vapor causes a significant cooling effect. Put your hand on the manifold while it is running, it is cool not hot.

Last edited:
Back