AC Heater core

Regarding that scallop in the tunnel. I suspect it was designed for the removal of non-AC heater boxes, which are a different shape and size. And that is why it still did not allow enough clearance for the AC box to come out....at least for me. ;)

But you are able to do it so it should be possible on all of them. Unless there is some difference in your box vs ours.

As with most cars, the heater box was the first part to bounce down the assembly line, and the rest of the car was attached to it.

I pulled the whole box - it didn't appear to me that there was clearance to drop the lower case with the core.

I'd love to see a pic of the core coming out / going in with the case in place

index.php

index.php

even then - to only remove the bottom doesn't take care of the other issues that exist - the frozen upper flaps, etc., that are inevitable given the age. That )&^#*%^@&(* valve & bracket!!!! I cut that f'KR off as soon as I had the box removed.

index.php

index.php

you can't clean that out or fix the seal where it bolts to the body opening unless you pull the box

index.php

Last edited:
Looking at your pics that is impossible for me being RHD as I have steering column and pedal box in the way. The bottom housing only comes out on my drivers side (RHD) as I tried it on the passenger side and it definitely won’t clear the tunnel. The scollop is the only reason I can get it out on my driver side.
I’ve not once put in or out the HVAC box in one piece only bottom, middle and then upper and reverse for installation.

In the next month or two I need to replace my heater blower fan, as the "rebuilt motor" that I spent money getting "rebuilt" just so that I would never have to remove the box again, started misbehaving a year after the completion of my AC system overhaul.

The point is I will be attempting this and will report back on whether it is doable for a 79 even with the cut-out in the tunnel . This was discussed a few years ago and there were pictures posted of the fan interfering with the middle housing, so I never bothered trying just the lower housing. But according to Stuartc that is still doable if you fiddle it right. So I will post results, when I get the nerve up to try. Frankly removing the AC-Heater box was the worse job I have ever done on the X and I had no desire to ever, ever do it again.

In the next month or two I need to replace my heater blower fan, as the "rebuilt motor" that I spent money getting "rebuilt" just so that I would never have to remove the box again, started misbehaving a year after the completion of my AC system overhaul.

The point is I will be attempting this and will report back on whether it is doable for a 79 even with the cut-out in the tunnel . This was discussed a few years ago and there were pictures posted of the fan interfering with the middle housing, so I never bothered trying just the lower housing. But according to Stuartc that is still doable if you fiddle it right. So I will post results, when I get the nerve up to try. Frankly removing the AC-Heater box was the worse job I have ever done on the X and I had no desire to ever, ever do it again.
I am not enjoying the standard heater, the AC one is another level of nightmare :)

Looking forward to hearing what you find out.

Back