AC Heater core

ashmowerman

Ashley Stone
Hi all can I remove the heater core from an X19 with AC without removing the whole heater box?
Mine has sprung a leak

The AC box is taller than the non-AC so very limited space to maneuver. I highly doubt that there is room to drop the bottom of the box and get the core out, but have not tried it personally. @LarryC is an X AC expert so he may comment.

When I was fiddling with this a few years ago I couldn’t get it out. It isn’t a great arrangement.

When I helped ToddR remove his AC /heater box I think we had to use a Sawzall to get it out

Yes, as notedabove, the AC box is just tall enough that the lower shell containing the heater core just cannot drop far enough to remove the core. Unfortunately, the only clean and non-destructive way is to remove the entire box.

As everyone has alluded to, the simple answer is "no" unfortunately. However this isn't entirely bad news. Removing the box will allow you to service, clean, and repair everything inside...I guarantee it needs it.

Thanks everyone for the bad news I think at the moment I will just block it off and buy a rug for the wifes legs over our winter

Actually I’ve done this a couple times and yes you can.
Just unclip the bottom which houses the fan and slide out from RHS.
Only caveat to this is I have an ‘88 Bertone and there is a scolop in the centre tunnel on drivers side (my car is RHD).
Forgot to mention that you must take out centre console first though.

Actually I’ve done this a couple times and yes you can.
Just unclip the bottom which houses the fan and slide out from RHS.
Only caveat to this is I have an ‘88 Bertone and there is a scolop in the centre tunnel on drivers side (my car is RHD).
Forgot to mention that you must take out centre console first though.
On a AC equipped box??

I knew as soon as I posted that if we all said "no", then somebody would pipe up and say "yes." How many times have we asked this question on this forum? And the answerhas never been forth-coming. Now I know what to do to get an answer to these perennially-asked-and-always-ambiguous-answer questions!

I’ve just retrofitted my ‘88 RHD Bertone X1/9 with A/C and I can most definitely confirm that the A/C HVAC unit comes in and out in each segment as that’s how I’ve done it a few times now whilst I sorted out HP hoses and connections.
4B7CF573-F277-470C-8F6A-FB46031D5B7F.jpeg

Bottom segment holding fan unclips and slides out on drivers side (Australian RHD) via cutout in centre tunnel allowing access to heater core.👍
Funny enough RHD X1/9’s were never A/C’d from factory so I thought LHD models be easier than my RHD.☺️

Last edited:
LHD X’s have that same cutout on the tunnel. Maybe the easier way to get the AC box out is to first unclip the bottom section with the fan and slide it out instead of trying to remove the whole thing at once. I am going to be retrofitting AC into my ‘79 eventually so something to try.

Hmm when I go back to my 87 I need to re-evaluate my approach. I think my initial problem was around the heater valve which I couldn’t get off the bracket, get the wire off of it and so on.

To get the heater core out the bottom section of the heater box has to come off, separated from the middle section.

When I removed the AC box from a '79 I tried every approach; all together in one piece, bottom off only, and bottom and middle off without the top. That car also has the scallop on the tunnel. And the interior was already stripped, the heater box was one of the later things to come out. The only way I found to remove it was to NOT separate the lower section first. Off hand I don't recall exactly what it was but something would not clear preventing it from getting all the way out. I think it might have been the squirrel cages on the blower motor? However I did find it easiest to remove the middle and lower sections together, leaving the upper section in place.

If it was the blower squirrel cages that prevented it, are they the same on a '88 (as with Stuartc) as I found on a '79? That might make a difference.

So to clarify what I said earlier, solely from my experience I don't think it is possible to remove only the lower section. Therefore the heater core cannot be removed that way. But the middle and lower sections can come out together and then the bottom removed to get to the core.

Here are my (and others) comments on it from a old thread:

I still highly recommend the entire box be removed and thoroughly cleaned inside for health reasons.

I’ve just retrofitted my ‘88 RHD Bertone X1/9 with A/C and I can most definitely confirm that the A/C HVAC unit comes in and out in each segment as that’s how I’ve done it a few times now whilst I sorted out HP hoses and connections.View attachment 63771
Bottom segment holding fan unclips and slides out on drivers side (Australian RHD) via cutout in centre tunnel allowing access to heater core.👍
Funny enough RHD X1/9’s were never A/C’d from factory so I thought LHD models be easier than my RHD.☺️
Hi, quick question was your peddle box in at the time

Hi, quick question was your peddle box in at the time
Yes pedal box is in place and as I’m RHD I’ve also the steering column.
Looking back at the comments the only other thing is I’ve removed the heater valve and bracket which could cause some issues trying to remove the box segments as I’ve described how I do it.
I’m replacing the heater valve setup with a electric servo valve which will probably be mounted in the engine bay.
I would suggest removing the bracket and valve as that would definitely stop you getting the bottom segment out I would believe.

As the heater valve bracket is attached to the middle segment, I am unclear on why that would be in the way ofremoving the lower segment. Looking back in my files I find that the main impediment is the fans contacting the bottom of the middle housing. How did you manage that?

It’s tight but because of the scollop in the centre console your able to drop the fan just enough to clear the upper housing. The scollop is there for a reason so logic dictates why it’s there.
From memory you need to keep the front part of the lower housing up to allow the entire lower housing to slide out on the RHS.
I’ve done this at least half dozen times so it definitely comes out.
I do need to do it again in the near future as I’m running the discharge/low side pipe through the tunnel rather than down the outside of tunnel so I’ll take some pictures for you but It could be a month or so before I get around to it👍

Back