Alfa Giulia going full electric in two years…maybe that will be our first ev

I like where EVs are going. I guess one of my questions is where are the economy EVs?

I have never needed 1000hp. I know they need to put in a motor with enough power and torque to move a much heavier car, shouldn’t adding some lightness and economy thinking be appropriate?

I know I am an outlier…

I'm not against EVs but I wonder where this is all headed when years from now you have a very hot summer day, everyone has their house AC units pounding away and everyone plugs in their EVs in the evening and trashes the power grid.

I'm not against EVs but I wonder where this is all headed when years from now you have a very hot summer day, everyone has their house AC units pounding away and everyone plugs in their EVs in the evening and trashes the power grid.
Hopefully it doesn’t happen in Texas? Nah, too many oil families there :) If the plan is to really get rid of ICE new sales by 2035, then incentives for home solar, wind, whatever, better escalate quickly, and cheaply. If we’re producing our own juice, that will definitely help ‘the grid’

Last edited:
I love my Giulia! Im too old school to give up I.C.E. I might buy one for my wife!
What year is your Giulia? I’d love an ICE version, but in these parts, service is expensive and hard to find. How’s your reliability?

Soon you will see PV-Modules on each roof and everywhere else: parking lots, farmland, lakes. In combination with batteries you can improve the worst grid. You will laugh about your energy bill, because it exposes how much you earned with your house. IRA is the catalyst and low module prices do their own for the rest of the world. The future is bright!
Renewable energies are freedom energies

About as likely as everyone flushing their toilet at the same time.

The Plumbing grid would crash.

If what you said is true, I'd be more pissed that our needed infrastructure is so fragile, while we send trillions in Troops and Treasure to the middle east to secure the status quo.

How much electric do you think a car takes to charge?

I like where EVs are going. I guess one of my questions is where are the economy EVs?

I have never needed 1000hp. I know they need to put in a motor with enough power and torque to move a much heavier car, shouldn’t adding some lightness and economy thinking be appropriate?

I know I am an outlier…
It does seem a little silly? I love the idea of the 160 mile, new, 500 Abarth ‘e’, but I think when I posted it, the general whining was about the low, 160 mile range? Small EV’s still = less mileage. You can’t have your electric cake and eat it too….yet. ;) But you can pick up a used, BMW i3 for about .30 cents to it’s original dollar. If you like smaller, lower mileage units.

Last edited:
Hopefully it doesn’t happen in Texas? Nah, too many oil families there :) If the plan is to really get rid of ICE new sales by 2035, then incentives for home solar, wind, whatever, better escalate quickly, and cheaply. If we’re producing our own juice, that will definitely help ‘the grid’
I had a meeting yesterday with a bunch of executives and higher ups who work for an american automobile manufacturer. We got off topic a bit and discussed EV's and the ICE and changeover of production. Their opinion, though not official was that we will not see the end of the ICE for 50 or more years of production. Even though manufacturers promise ev's only by 2035. the opinion is that they are telling people what they want to hear, marketing etc. But hard realities are that infrastructure and true public purchases will dictate otherwise. They also said semi's wont become EV's they will be hydrogen powered once that technology is perfected.

It does seem a little silly? I love the idea of the 160 mile, new, 500 Abarth ‘e’, but I think when I posted it, the general whining was about the low, 160 mile range? Small EV’s still = less mileage. You can’t have your electric cake and eat it too….yet. ;) But you can pick up a used, BMW i3 for about .30 cents to it’s original dollar. If you like smaller, lower mileage units.
People are pretty silly about range.

98 percent of american car trips are 50 miles or less. People like the idea of road trips far more than they take them.

I cant understand why people worry about something that rarely happens, when everyday they use it a commuter.

I guess fear of change and/or political allegiance is very powerful.

I had a meeting yesterday with a bunch of executives and higher ups who work for an american automobile manufacturer. We got off topic a bit and discussed EV's and the ICE and changeover of production. Their opinion, though not official was that we will not see the end of the ICE for 50 or more years of production. Even though manufacturers promise ev's only by 2035. the opinion is that they are telling people what they want to hear, marketing etc. But hard realities are that infrastructure and true public purchases will dictate otherwise. They also said semi's wont become EV's they will be hydrogen powered once that technology is perfected.
Hydrogen is stupid. Its only for people who cant imagine not having to go somewhere to buy fuel at what someone else tells them it will cost. :)

People are pretty silly about range.

98 percent of american car trips are 50 miles or less. People like the idea of road trips far more than they take them.

I cant understand why people worry about something that rarely happens, when everyday they use it a commuter.

I guess fear of change and/or political allegiance is very powerful.
They also commented on that same thing. When I said I want to be able to drive 1200 or more miles in 1 sitting without having to stop and charge. They told me that that is so rare that rent a car or learn to wait if EV's become that reality or you drive one for a daily driver.

They also commented on that same thing. When I said I want to be able to drive 1200 or more miles in 1 sitting without having to stop and charge. They told me that that is so rare that rent a car or learn to wait if EV's become that reality or you drive one for a daily driver.
Why do you want to drive 1200 miles in one sitting? Are you wearing a diaper? :) Not Sleeping?

As a decade long EV driver, whose entire commuter fleet (3 vehicles) is electric is the ONLY thing fluid fuel can offer is fear of change and familiarity. Know anyone lighting their homes with Kerosene? I rest my case. :)

Last edited:
Soon you will see PV-Modules on each roof and everywhere else: parking lots, farmland, lakes. In combination with batteries you can improve the worst grid. You will laugh about your energy bill, because it exposes how much you earned with your house. IRA is the catalyst and low module prices do their own for the rest of the world. The future is bright!
Renewable energies are freedom energies
This guy is on target. I switched to EV last time gasoline spiked(2012)and got sick of seeing flagged draped coffins, some containing my former students so rich people could stay rich and was FLOORED how cheap the cost to operate was. It just worked! No fluid, filter changes, No check engine light bullshit, hell the brake pads did even show any measurable wear.

When I say cheap, I mean 50 CENTS every 30 miles in American made, No soldier ever died for electric.

Now I have solar and my commute is ZERO added cost, and I even get money back from the Electric company.

Why would anyone pay for a fluid to burn (At whatever cost the sellers says you will pay) when they could commute for no added cost from power literally pulled from thin air. How much Treasure and Troops have to be pissed away in the Middle East before we say "ENOUGH!"?

Once people see through the Oil Company and Political bullshit, its over for them. And they know it. That's why you hear stuff like the grid will collapse. Simply too much money off Status quo of doing the same thing we've done for more than a century.

Last edited:
ok, you guys started it.. so I have to put my 2 cents in with the whole electric/solar thing. there has always been one thing I thing about with the "free" energy. there is no such thing. Ask any scientist. you cant get something for nothing. I started thinking about this when the windmill boom started. I wondered, would this effect the jet stream? I mean it should. would it effect it enough to cause issues? I dunno. but for sure ( and I didnt video it but can do it again) if you put a fan facing a small windmill, measure the wind speed before the windmill and after, the windmill does take energy out and the windspeed is slower. so energy is converted. thinking further brought me to deforestation. Is Brazil looking to be the next dust bowl? how has the lack of trees effected the jet stream there? how does Major cities with sky scrapers effect it? Back to solar. So by soaking up the sun on panels rather then letting it warm up the core, is it causing an issue? does all the building we have done over eons of time cause a change?
Who knows. just was always my point that we dont get something from nothing. I don't see the ICE going totally away we use petroleum for way too many things other than just gas/fuel for that to happen.
As far as electric cars. Got my first ride in a tesla plaid a while ago. holy ****. that was the quickest most fun ride I have EVER had in a car. and at the same ride it was the smoothest, quietest, most comfortable ride I have had. My next car will probably be electric, mainly because I dont drive long distances that often. I will stil have the X and spider for those drives that I need that feel. but for general use, I have not been convinced that an electric wouldn't be the best for the drive itself.

Odie

Back