Alfa Giulia going full electric in two years…maybe that will be our first ev

ok, you guys started it.. so I have to put my 2 cents in with the whole electric/solar thing. there has always been one thing I thing about with the "free" energy. there is no such thing. Ask any scientist. you cant get something for nothing. I started thinking about this when the windmill boom started. I wondered, would this effect the jet stream? I mean it should. would it effect it enough to cause issues? I dunno. but for sure ( and I didnt video it but can do it again) if you put a fan facing a small windmill, measure the wind speed before the windmill and after, the windmill does take energy out and the windspeed is slower. so energy is converted. thinking further brought me to deforestation. Is Brazil looking to be the next dust bowl? how has the lack of trees effected the jet stream there? how does Major cities with sky scrapers effect it? Back to solar. So by soaking up the sun on panels rather then letting it warm up the core, is it causing an issue? does all the building we have done over eons of time cause a change?
Who knows. just was always my point that we dont get something from nothing. I don't see the ICE going totally away we use petroleum for way too many things other than just gas/fuel for that to happen.
As far as electric cars. Got my first ride in a tesla plaid a while ago. holy ****. that was the quickest most fun ride I have EVER had in a car. and at the same ride it was the smoothest, quietest, most comfortable ride I have had. My next car will probably be electric, mainly because I dont drive long distances that often. I will stil have the X and spider for those drives that I need that feel. but for general use, I have not been convinced that an electric wouldn't be the best for the drive itself.

Odie
Free as in no cost.

For argument, Lets say I paid $100 a month for electric. That was money that just went away.... POOF.

Now, I buy solar and it costs me $100 a month for the loan. That cost is static no matter how much I generate with them. So I convert all my appliances (Including vehicles) to electric.

Now I'm heating my water, my stove, my house and driving my cars for zero extra cost.

Often I generate more than I need, so I get money from the electric company.

And, they add equity to my house.

So, yes, with solar compared to the status quo I'm getting something for nothing.

Free as in no cost.

For argument, Lets say I paid $100 a month for electric. That was money that just went away.... POOF.

Now, I buy solar and it costs me $100 a month for the loan. That cost is static no matter how much I generate with them. So I convert all my appliances (Including vehicles) to electric.

Now I'm heating my water, my stove, my house and driving my cars for zero extra cost.

Often I generate more than I need, so I get money from the electric company.

And, they add equity to my house.

So, yes, with solar compared to the status quo I'm getting something for nothing.
totally understand. I was taking it away from monetary cost. I agree that monetarily, Solar and Wind (or wave or river if you are so inclined) makes perfect sense. I was looking at it as free getting something from nothing (not FOR nothing, but From) And again, I am not saying it will screw up the world, I am just pointing out there is an impact from solar/wind etc. I have a she-Shed that is totally solar and love it. even after the crazy expensive batteries I am extremely lower in cost of what it would have been to run electricity out there. (about 400 ft from the house. )

Odie

Is your daily commute 400 miles a day? :)
I don't commute. :)
I do travel long distances from time to time, sometimes with a large trailer in tow. I have no problem with electric cars, but they don't meet my needs. I have become accustomed to a quick fill up, maybe a brief stop in the restroom, and then getting back on the road. There's no reason to make any changes.

I don't commute.
I do travel long distances from time to time, sometimes with a large trailer in tow. I have no problem with electric cars, but they don't meet my needs. I have become accustomed to a quick fill up, maybe a brief stop in the restroom, and then getting back on the road. There's no reason to make any changes.
Totally get it. My grandmother still has a tube TV and a landline.

You know what you like, and like what you know.

My motivation was a little more personal, and fiscal.

Attachments

• Flag Drapped.jpg
    Flag Drapped.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 50
Why do you want to drive 1200 miles in one sitting? Are you wearing a diaper? :) Not Sleeping?

As a decade long EV driver, whose entire commuter fleet (3 vehicles) is electric is the ONLY thing fluid fuel can offer is fear of change and familiarity. Know anyone lighting their homes with Kerosene? I rest my case. :)
I drive a minimum of two to three trips each year of over 800 miles each way and do it in one go. By myself I can do it in 12 hours, 14 with my wife.

However I drive 12 miles to work everyday, 24 miles round trip. A worn out 500e would be more than adequate for day to day.

I drive a minimum of two to three trips each year of over 800 miles each way and do it in one go. By myself I can do it in 12 hours, 14 with my wife.

However I drive 12 miles to work everyday, 24 miles round trip. A worn out 500e would be more than adequate for day to day.
Holy cow. 24 mile round trip your commute is made for electric.

Being that a 110 outlet charges at 4 mph-ish you would refill what you use each day in about 6 hours. Come home, plug it in, walk away and live your life.

At the cost of 50 cents every 30 miles.

No check engine light bullshit, no fluid and filter changes and instant heat.... In fact you can heat it in a closed garage.

And you support local jobs at the power plant, and help us point ourselves as a country to energy independence.

Its a no brainer. :)

Holy cow. 24 mile round trip your commute is made for electric.

Being that a 110 outlet charges at 4 mph-ish you would refill what you use each day in about 6 hours. Come home, plug it in, walk away and live your life.

At the cost of 50 cents every 30 miles.

No check engine light bullshit, no fluid and filter changes and instant heat.... In fact you can heat it in a closed garage.

And you support local jobs at the power plant, and help us point ourselves as a country to energy independence.

Its a no brainer. :)
And we have 8 charging stations right next to where I park my gas guzzling Toaster aka Honda Element.

I have only resisted due to the cost of entering the EV market. For a while during Covid the 500e was down around 8K, now the three year older examples are back up over 12K.

The cost of an electric is offputting, particularly as my current beater cost 2500 bucks two years ago and I have only put 4500 miles on it since.

And we have 8 charging stations right next to where I park my gas guzzling Toaster aka Honda Element.

I have only resisted due to the cost of entering the EV market. For a while during Covid the 500e was down around 8K, now the three year older examples are back up over 12K.

The cost of an electric is offputting, particularly as my current beater cost 2500 bucks two years ago and I have only put 4500 miles on it since.
Fair.

I had a Element, and I LOVED that car! Lost it in the divorce and I felt like I was abandoning a dog at the pound. :)

Someday though, that element will need to go to pasture, and when it does..... You know what to do. :)

At one time I had an NA Miata as my daily driver and there is no reason my 13 mile each way commute can't feel like a track day.
I guess. As a fleet manager and a patriotic American its about cost of ownership and keeping American money and troops on the homeland for me.

I don't need to TopGear cosplay running to Target. :)

I'd do it. As it is now my Daily is an 400Hp I-pace...... This thing is crazy quick at a 0-60 at 4.5 seconds. Quicker than the fluid fuel Alfa.... and 2 seconds faster in the quarter mile.

Cant imagine what this thing would do.

Last edited:
Since we are going this way a little.

I drive 90 miles daily to work and home, round trip. I actually considered a 500e for a commuter. But i feel that range would be a issue as I only wanted to charge the car at work. then it is truly free for me. The 500e is maxed out for range at that point. So I bought a Giulia

Since we are going this way a little.

I drive 90 miles daily to work and home, round trip. I actually considered a 500e for a commuter. But i feel that range would be a issue as I only wanted to charge the car at work. then it is truly free for me. The 500e is maxed out for range at that point. So I bought a Giulia
Its worth noting that at 32 degrees and below I loose about 30 percent of range compared to 72 degrees.

When they say your mileage will vary, they mean it. You were smart to not expect the advertised range every trip. Just like a fluid fuel vehicle.

Last edited:
Back