fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Hi,

Since I had (have) the engine out of my X I thought I would try out the alternator mod everyone raves about. I thought I would share what I did thus far - since the engine is not in the car I have not completed the electricals just yet.

You can see all of the pics here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/fiatmonkeyman/GmAlternatorMOD#

I followed the basic steps from Dayton Tom: http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1142890167/GM+alternator+conversion

With a minor changes.

First I sourced the alternator + parts - I headed to my local Oriely's and asked if they have alternators for a 350 78 camaro. I found a few options that ranged in price from 29.99 to 79.99. All were 63 amp. I ended up with a multi year warrantee option for 44.99 + 10 core. I also ordered the pig tail for additional $3.00. They didn't have any universal or custom alternator brackets so I went to Gotelli's speed shop in S. SF and found one for $11.00.

The alternator is identical to the one that Tom has in his original post and so is the pig tail (minus his wiring changes).

Here is the upper bracket (stock photo):
bracket.jpg

You can see its pretty long. I thouhg it would be easier to cut it more if needed.

Here is the lower bracket after relieving some metal:

IMG_5320.jpg

IMG_5324.jpg

Here is the upper after drilling a hole to fit the upper bolt and some bends and cut end welded back on to form a "t" and allow me to use the 2nd bolt on the waterpump like the stock bracket (actually its a stud).
IMG_5321.jpg

IMG_5322.jpg

Here it is fitted:
IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5334.jpg

Pully lines up perfect...
IMG_5335.jpg

Now its time to source the belt. I am going to start with the stock one (I am sure its floating around my garage) then go bigger if needed.

Comment: I wanted to add, although this is a nice mod, I am not crazy about the lower bracket and how the alternator attaches. I much prefer the stock setup where the alternator is molded with a section that goes over each end of the lower bracket. It seems a lot stronger to me. That said, this mod works and seems pretty solid.

-FM

Last edited:
Nice Job

Nice Job...maybe you would need to create a couple more of those brackets to sell to Ty and myself. Why does you block say Lancia?

Nice Job...maybe you would need to create a couple more of those brackets to sell to Ty and myself. Why does you block say Lancia?

Don't think I will be making anymore anytime soon ;)

The block is a later model 1500 (FI). It has Fiat and Lancia stamped on it.

That's cheating!

you have the motor out of the car! Heck, I don't even have the rear boot access panel... did have a "few" of these : :drink:

Nicely done.. what did you different with the wiring? Mine rides a little close to the pump/block, may mess with that at some point, but I can't weld.

you have the motor out of the car! Heck, I don't even have the rear boot access panel... did have a "few" of these : :drink:

Nicely done.. what did you different with the wiring? Mine rides a little close to the pump/block, may mess with that at some point, but I can't weld.

Having the motor helped some...ok a lot :)

I haven't worked out the wiring. From the picture you can see the pig-tail sits at the bottom of the alternator. Will need to get creative.

Are you worried about your wires getting hot or toasted from the exhaust? I am thinking it would be a good time to wrap it in some wire insulation or something.

No issue on wiring/heat...

Mine come off toward the rear of the car and route around passenger side of engine compartment. The only thing on mine is that the alternator is high up, just barely below the water pump. I like the upper mount you made. My first attempt had it too low and it hit the passenger side output shaft when two adults were in the car.

Mine come off toward the rear of the car and route around passenger side of engine compartment. The only thing on mine is that the alternator is high up, just barely below the water pump. I like the upper mount you made. My first attempt had it too low and it hit the passenger side output shaft when two adults were in the car.

My measurements showed It will fit but wont know for sure till I put the engine back in :) ...I put as much travel as I could just in case.

Looks good to go!

I "think" a little larger belt would take care of mine... asked for one size up and it was too big.

If it doesn't work out, just send me your motor... I'll take it off your hands! :grin:

This may seem like a stupid question! But why change from the stock alternator to a different one?

Because the delco alternator is plentiful and works well in the application.

It is the only significant alteration done to my X.....in 1979.

BUT, I would like to see someone do this on an AC car. I have never been satisfied with my mounting.

This may seem like a stupid question! But why change from the stock alternator to a different one?

I am with Larry on this one; many alternators out there (and cheap - I found one that was $150.00 less than an OEM) with this design and shape. Granted, I used a 63a but stock Alternators vary from roughly 40 to 70 amps (I think AC cars used the 70 amp) Honestly, it could be any number of alternators that would work but this one was done and proven already so I went with it.

However, as I said in my original post; I am not 100% sold on the lower mounting that I did and that I have seen others do. I would prefer it to be more like/same or close to the stock setup. Maybe that is another project...Or I stop obsessing about it :dead:

Bernice posted another alternator option and install method:
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/9131/
But she posesses skills I could never come close to in the engineering arena so I will stick with my GM alternator mod :)

Last edited by a moderator:
update - busted the adjustement bracket

I was so proud of my modded alternator bracket however after hearing a belt squeal at a light last night, I discovered my weld broke as well as the bar snapped. So, its back to the drawing board for a better bracket. When I get it out I will post a pic.

I like to keep the alternator where it is in relation to the engine/header as its far enough away to keep it cool but I also think have the alternator so far away also puts a lot of stress on the bracket so need to think about this.

More later...

It is the only significant alteration done to my X.....in 1979.

BUT, I would like to see someone do this on an AC car. I have never been satisfied with my mounting.

I was just thinking the same thing. Now that I have a functional Volt Meter, I can see that at idle, while stepping on the brake, AC on, etc,... I'm lucky if I see 12v. I have the 70A Bosch. No way a 63A Delco is gonna do the trick. I'd like at least 100A, or 120A. I like the idea of the smaller Jap or Late Bosch units - I think Rapunzel (sp?) had posted pics of something along those lines, but don't recall if it was w/AC

I was just thinking the same thing. Now that I have a functional Volt Meter, I can see that at idle, while stepping on the brake, AC on, etc,... I'm lucky if I see 12v. I have the 70A Bosch. No way a 63A Delco is gonna do the trick. I'd like at least 100A, or 120A. I like the idea of the smaller Jap or Late Bosch units - I think Rapunzel (sp?) had posted pics of something along those lines, but don't recall if it was w/AC

Does your idle adjust when the AC pump comes on? There should be a vacuum line that opens and increases idle. This doesn't help the volts at all?

I also noticed my battery ground wire was a little long so I replaced it with a REALLY short one just long enough to reach the chassis below the cowel. Huge difference.

Better than that, I added Volvo Constant Idle Speed Control :) - so yes, my idle does raise to just over 1000rpm w/AC - but if you then step on the brakes - the four bulbs in back & the high mount draw down the voltage. Don't forget that w/AC, I also have the main fan running, and the AC fan as well - not a problem at all when moving, but not good at idle, elevated or no. This isn't also in the evening when I also have the lights on - that's even worse!

Better than that, I added Volvo Constant Idle Speed Control :) - so yes, my idle does raise to just over 1000rpm w/AC - but if you then step on the brakes - the four bulbs in back & the high mount draw down the voltage. Don't forget that w/AC, I also have the main fan running, and the AC fan as well - not a problem at all when moving, but not good at idle, elevated or no. This isn't also in the evening when I also have the lights on - that's even worse!

Sweet. I knew right after I posted that comment you would share some cool VIAT mod ;) (VOLVO + FIAT = VIAT no? Doesn't work???)

Right now for me (no AC) the biggest culprit for zapping my juice is the signals. Brake lights are second. I did the wiper mod and it barely registers any voltage drop. Same with my low-beam mod. I suppose I could finally do the BWM.

Bravo!!!

Hi Tim

Great Job!
I'm working on a similar project with a rabbit Bosch alternator and I was thinking to weld same alt-bracket to an original x1/9 NO A/C bracket.
you give me good points and ideas!

thanks for posting!:thumbsup:

Hi Tim

Great Job!
I'm working on a similar project with a rabbit Bosch alternator and I was thinking to weld same alt-bracket to an original x1/9 NO A/C bracket.
you give me good points and ideas!

thanks for posting!:thumbsup:

Thanks but wait till I fix it before you give me props ;)

BTW - got the lens covers. thanks so much!

Last edited:
Back