Another artical slamming the 500

Article not found at this link...

Regardless, articles like this does not surprise me and will continue.
Expect more articles saying how awful the FIAT 500 is and do not purchase for ///// reasons.

The automotive media treats Lotus the same way, fragile, un-reliable and etc.. even when the hard facts prove this is simply NOT true for the current generation (this is true of older Lotus cars too) of Lotus production cars.

Lotus is selling their production cars well regardless of what the automotive media writes and their used car values are holding well.

Bottom line, the automotive media can write what ever they want, but many times these days it is NOT based on facts and driven by their agenda.

Well I just read the article, and outside of its title - which I do acknowledge is negative - I can't find that much wrong with it.

Its not a "review" of the car... its basically an opinion piece on what Fiat should do to be successful, long term, in the US marketplace... and a few points raised by the author are quite valid.

An important thing to realize is that the vast majority of car buyers are not car enthusiasts... and cars like the 500 will be bought more as fashion statements than anything else...

She calls the Gremlin and the Delorean one hit wonders.... Really. Try and buy one today. Whose laughing now.

She has concerns about Mexicos manufacturing quality. Thats horse****. Many fine cars are made there.

Shes a idiot, and I would love to watch Bearnice kick her ass.

Granted... I didn't understand most of that "one hit wonder" sidebar either. Most weren't wonders at all, they were simply bad. The Delorean however defines the term... outside of the time traveling vehicle in "Back To the Future", what was the second offering?...

VW has had many issues with their Mexican operations... I'd be concerned too...

I didn't agree with everything she had to say, but that doesn't make the author an idiot in my eyes. And I think Bernice already has enough of a fight with Tim Studdard, Craig Fitzgerald and Dave LaChance :):)

Last edited:
Dave LaChance...

Isn't he a writer for Sports & Exotic, Hemmings or some other car magazine? I believe I met him at the Mitty earlier this year and wasn't impressed. I'll help you Bernice. :thumbsup:

What IS a 500 now?

I learned at Tony's this weekend that the Fiat 500 for North America is not even the same platform as the European car of the year. Basically it's a new design, so how can anybody review it?

This has bumped my owning one out at least a year, maybe 2, as they work the bugs out of the new design.

BrianM

I learned at Tony's this weekend that the Fiat 500 for North America is not even the same platform as the European car of the year. Basically it's a new design, so how can anybody review it? This has bumped my owning one out at least a year, maybe 2, as they work the bugs out of the new design.

Brian's is the smartest statement I've read. I am mystified by people lining up, plunking down a deposit to buy the special edition, when they haven't actually driven THE version of the car they'll be receiving. Maybe someone can give me some insight. To me, this is a big chunk of household spending and I can't believe behavior would be the same with a Ford or a Toyota. Why is all this good will and trust being handed over without the same fight you'd give to any other large family expense, especially to a company that hasn't given a serious thought to your needs in over 20 years?

John O.

Certain criteria has to be met before I completely commit myself to buying this car. I made a deposit with the understanding I had the option to back out if I didn't like it for any reason. What first drew me to the car were the looks. It's a cute little car. The fuel mileage is another plus. Fiat's innovation is yet another thing that drew me to it. If the price is too high, I'll back away and continue to drive my 99 Grand Prix until it falls completely apart.

Its just a deposit.

Its fully refundable for any reason.

Its holding a place in line.

It is a car I can use.

It is still based on a car that is in production so it is a known quantity.

It will use many of the existing components of the existing 500.

Modern cars are not nearly as problem prone as cars were.

Fiat is looking to leave the Fix It Again Tony, Foolish Inept Attempted Transportation etc etc, this will not be an unreliable car.

That particular factory has been producing Calibers and its various Jeep incarnations for years, this is a capable factory with a seasoned workforce with good quality control and so on. VW hasn't had much issue with their Mexican factory, the issues VW has had have come from suppliers some from Die Vaterland (Bosch-coil packs). I work with Mexican workers in our factory and I would put them up against any of our other factories for motivation and follow through.

If Ford or Toyota made even a single car I liked as much, I would be just as happy to buy it. The nearest they have is the new Fiesta which is a great car, but I don't feel any connection to it despite having owned and loved my 1978, 1979 and my 1980 Fiestas all made in Cologne Germany. Toyota hasn't made a vehicle I have ever wanted. Ever (the Mark 1 MR2 came close for its driving dynamics but god the looks...). I own a Toyota and it is a fine appliance, it is not in the least little bit desirable.

I personally need a new car in the next year or two anyway, I have had my A4 Golf for ten years and I have two soon to be driving age boys. I don't want to see it mangled and destroyed by young drivers but it is a strong safe car and would be a good starter car. The 500 looks to be fun, gets great gas mileage and should be safe for a small car. It is also the class of car I have been asking VW to make available here for a decade, which I would also have plunked my money down for in advance (Polo).

The problem with most modern cars is there isn't really much to like about them much less have any passion for. They are all good, capable means of getting from point A to point B. Aside from the Mini, MIata and a few other cars I can afford there isn't much that offers passion or causes me any pang of desire. The 500 is all of those things and more. It is a much better cohesive design than the Mini or the current Miata. Although it is certainly referential to the original 500 it isn't slavish to it and certainly diverges nicely as you get into the various Abarth variants.

I am willing to give Fiat some slack and the opportunity to wow me yet again but I can assure you: I will drive one before I buy it, I will look at it very carefully and if it doesn't measure up, I will be walking to the VW dealer to buy a new GTI.

I thought that the Caliber, Compass and Patriot...

...were built in Belvedere, Illinois. If so,this is not a good reference, as these are rated pretty darn low in quality and design.

Nobody will know how well these little cars are put together...not the media...not Bernice...not anyone around, until they are on the road here with all of their Michigan, Italian and Mexican components combined.

Hopefully they will be quality, have a nice feel and will be able to compete with the proven Mini and other cars. Chrysler seems to be a little behind in the promotion of the car, considering it will be coming pretty soon. Waiting lists are usually somewhat deep for really cool new models this late in the game, and pre-listing 400+ cars to current Fiat owners is really a drop in the bucket.

Fiat is requiring all of the US dealers have stand-alone buildings and service departments for the single car line-up. This is very costly, but thankfully (I guess) there are a lot of empty car dealerships thanks to the current Administration that should help many of the dealers that haven't lost them to the banks.

I cannot imagine most dealerships will be able to maintain such a facility for more than a year, unless they can move at LEAST 30 cars per month. That's a lot of little Fiats. These are inexpensive cars, and the dealerships aren't going to be able to bank more than a grand per car.

Again, a lot will rely on the media blitz, which better be hitting the televisions hard before Super Bowl Sunday. We, as Fiat lovers have noticed every little blurb...any other person has barely even noticed what has been published to date.

The jury is out until we have the opportunity to drive the US version car.

...deposit with the understanding I had the option to back out if I didn't like it for any reason. ...If the price is too high, I'll back away and continue to drive my 99 Grand Prix until it falls completely apart.

Its just a deposit. Its fully refundable for any reason. Its holding a place in line. ...I am willing to give Fiat some slack and the opportunity to wow me yet again but I can assure you: I will drive one before I buy it, I will look at it very carefully and if it doesn't measure up, I will be walking to the VW dealer to buy a new GTI.

Okay. That all sounds like adults at the helm of their money. Thanks for the insight.

John O.

...were built in Belvedere, Illinois. If so,this is not a good reference, as these are rated pretty darn low in quality and design.

You are absolutely right, I was suffering a bit of an adult moment, the factory in question built the PT Cruiser not the Caliber. Doh!

I agree, we won't know until they are on the road and then a few years after that.

I may be just dumb enough to take that chance... :)

As for the rest of your good points, I think you are correct as well. One of the main points made by the head of Fiat USA when she spoke was that launching the car would be no problem. The problem would be sustaining the business, which would require more than one model of car to sell at the dealerships.

I'm gonna tell ya FIATs gonna have a hard time here

Today... I'm on a lubrication course and I bring up the Red line that I use in my gear box

Oh What kind of car

Fiat

You know what that stands for

I Say yeah yeah yeah fix it again tony,

every one starts to laugh..... junk etc

In defense I say, well if it weren't for Fiat, Chrysler would be done

The answer is, Chrysler isn't saved yet

Some battles you just can't win and frankly, not worth fighting.

I don't know about that. My wife wonders when I will ever grow up and behave like an adult.

I've found people who say that about their spouses need to figure out why their spouses are more fun than they are. I really hate reading stuff like that. My ex-wfe use to say that about me; now I am happy without her and she's still in therapy with her second husband because she just can't ...I don't know, accept and embrace him, warts and all. Though, I've probably taken your post more seriously than you meant.

John O.

So none of the 500's sold in America will be Italian? I'm guessing there is a premium to pay if you want a legit Italian model.

Back