Another Coolant pipe saga

Well I am not in this boat at this time but have a plan in case I need it. My plan is to cut the bottom of the box open. I'll make the cuts on the bottom 1/2" to 5/8" in from either side. This will give me room to install SS Rivnuts on the remaining bottom on both sides every 3" then create a new bottom that is drilled out ever 3" to allow me to install the new plate bottom with SS screws and retain the strength but allow access again if needed. This will also allow me to replace the insulation with a newer type. A lot has improved over the last 40 years. This also allows me to make sure no metal to metal contact with the new tube.

Have not decided on the tube, most likely SS.

1679365358409.jpeg

Last edited:
I used their product from the CAD drawings. They have a longer, less severe bend in the pipes. I didn’t know that, so when I measured for the drain plugs, they were too far back and interfered with the box (I cut slots to accommodate). I suggest to skip the drain plugs, there are other ways to drain.

I had them cut the pipes at the end of the straight section near the rear of the car, and add a bead. Once I got the original pipes out, I slid the news ones in from the front, then used a short section of straight radiator hose to connect the two sections.
Been a year, so far so good.

Back