Anyone know the Nissan valve part number that PBS uses?

Dallarax19

Builder -Dallara Replica
Found I have a bent valve and would like to get a direct replacement. I believe it is a Nissan valve from a 240 or 260 but anyone's guess. One of those final stages of machining a 15deg back cut and "oh and by the way" deals.

Last edited:
Found I have a bent valve and would like to get a direct replacement. I believe it is a Nissan valve from a 240 or 260 but anyone's guess.

Sorry I can't help with a part number. I do have them in my 124, and can attest to being able to use them, after shortening them and cutting a new keeper groove. I was concerned cutting away the hardened top would weaken the valve, but 30K later no effect. I don't think it was from the 240 series, but much more mundane.

Pretty sure what PBS usesd was from the L series of engines, which includes the 2.4 / 2.6 6 cylinder, and the 1.6/1.8/2.0 4 cylinder OHC (which is simply 2/3 of the six)

SteveC

Talked to PBS today.....

The valves were originally from a 510 and then from the 240Z/260Z that was turned down to 40mm. Looks like I will be replacing the set to assure they all have the same weight and fit.

P510 uses an L series engine....

why get another set of nissan valves and turn them down, recut the collet groove and shorten them....why not just use the 39.5mm Fiat items that fit straight in????(with the correct sized seat of course)

SteveC

RockAuto sells the correct Fiat valves...

why get another set of nissan valves and turn them down, recut the collet groove and shorten them....why not just use the 39.5mm Fiat items that fit straight in????(with the correct sized seat of course)

SteveC

The PBS big valve head was created at a time before Fiat made the cylinder head variant with 39.5mm valves.

PBS also created the 1600cc stroker kit before the 1500cc engine was introduced. Back then going from 1300cc to 1600cc was significant.

I have stuffed 42mm Fiat twin cam valves into the 1500cc head before.. not really recommended, but do-able.

Bernice

SteveC

Update

Well it turns out the ebay valves were the right ones. Got one ground and cut today. Expensive but it is done!
2 valves $24
1 valve ground and cut $80

Left is original, middle is newly ground cut, right is new no mods
082.jpg
083.jpg

original vs new no mods
IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/dallarax19/084.jpg[/IMG]
Part number reference
086.jpg

Last edited:
$104 for one replacement valve!!! (and not a genuine Nissan one either)

A full set of four TRW or OE 39.5's Fiat valves isn't that much different cost wise...

SteveC

Yes, absolutely true but timing drove my decision

It is expensive for one valve but it works and is a direct replacement plus I have a spare for the next debacle. I would not jump to conclusions that it is not OE Datsun (Nissan). Nissan gets the valves from a supplier and the suppliers will sell them as a replacement after the service agreement is up. The NI looks different but all else looks identical. OE Manufacturing tools have a limited life and tool to tool there will be subtle differences. Because of the high volume in the engine life cycle there would have been many tools and many tool refurbishments supporting OE production. In any case we are both speculating. The short story is I have a valve and am back in the game. :)

If I wasn't in such a rush the 39.5 would be the wiser choice but I chose the "right now" and it is a low risk solution, just drops in and I am off again.

OE Nissan valve (in fact most OE Nissan parts - certainly from that vintage) will have the "circle with the bar thru it" symbol on them....like the one on the right

084.jpg

and I think it's IN for Intake not an NI?

SteveC

Back