As the Godfather said...

olerascal

True Classic
just-when-i-thought-i-was-out-they-pull-me-back-in.jpg

Thought I was done with Fiats.

Sold 8 of my 9 Fiats.
Disposed of 90% of parts & goodies inventory.
Can't physically work on Fiats much.
Loss of mental focus means no more trackdays.
Difficult to drive manual tranny with bad hips & back.
Bad attitude about maladies didn't help.

So...thought I was done with Fiats.

Then this happened....

struts 019.JPG

v6x.1.jpg

225 HP...just enough to compensate for slushbox.

Getting in/out of cockpit with top on remains a challenge.
Avoid driving in rain...problem solved.
Next, convert to MM bumpers.
Baby steps...

I've seen that engine bay photo before, looks like fun. What type trans does it have to allow mounting the engine that way?
If possible, please show how the one-piece engine cover / trunk lid is done. Thanks.

Great way to stay in the game! :)

That there is the conversion of conversions.

From before my time with the XWeb. I bet there were some interesting conversations about that.

Congrats we knew you couldn’t stay away.

Wayne was an "old-school" aerospace engineer. He lived in Huntsville, Alabama where he worked for Boeing for many years. It was there I met him at a local SCCA autocross where I was autocrossing my '74 X1/9. We became friends and he bought an X1/9 that he was originally planning to swap in a 350 Chevy V8. One of his first purchases for that project was a sawzall. True story: When I bought my '80 model car and began building it as a new DSP autocrosser I needed to cut the fenders to clear the 225/50-13 tires. He brought over his sawzall to do the job. We practiced on a rusty old parts car I had and then kneltX down beside the bare racecar tub, he gave me a rather frightened look, pulled the trigger on the sawzall and carved away at my car. 20 minutes later we were done. It turned out fine but you just are never comfortable when you start that first cut.

A few years after completing the, now, V6 X1/9 project Boeing transferred him to the Seattle area and I saw several photos of the car at PACNW Fiat gatherings for years. I haven't heard from Wayne, or seen the car, for years, until now. Glad to know its still around and being enjoyed.

I guess someone will have to come up with a clear top hinged in the middle so we can get in easier.

Or better yet, get some bottom drawer slides at Home Depot and modify the top to slide back out of the way.

Last edited:
I had seen it at one of the old Seattle X1/9 get together at Wayne's. I think this is in 2006. I thought someone said it had a drivetrain from an old front wheel drive Toronado or Eldorado in it that he was able to use to drive the rear wheels although the engine faced the rear. It's parked in the garage in front of my silver '79. Glad to see that it is still around and in Mike's hands.

IMGP0768.JPG

Mike, that is awesome!
Two historic icons of X-dom have found each other!
I have ridden in the car at one of the gatherings at Waynes. It isn‘t a drag race car, but I think it will be a great driver for you.
I am really glad to hear that you won‘t be out of the X world for quite a while now!

Firmly placed in the grouping of projects-I-will-never-want-to-do-but-sure-do-enjoy-learning-about, I can’t wait to see more of what is inside this machine. What a nice way do be dragged back into the fold!

Aside from the uniqueness of the drivetrain and the history of the car, I'm still intrigued by the one-piece engine cover/trunk lid. Both of those panels are quite heavy on their own. And tying them together like that, hinged at the front, it would be incredibly difficult to lift all that up and support it. They look to be the stock components (i.e. not carbon fiber or such). I'm guessing they still retain their inner structures otherwise it would flex too much with it's long length. Add the necessary bracing to connect the two panels together, and that has to weigh a ton. I know, I seem to be focusing on one trivial aspect of a neat build, but I really like it so I wonder just how it was done. Any of you that saw the car remember the details of that lid?

Aside from the uniqueness of the drivetrain and the history of the car, I'm still intrigued by the one-piece engine cover/trunk lid. Both of those panels are quite heavy on their own. And tying them together like that, hinged at the front, it would be incredibly difficult to lift all that up and support it. They look to be the stock components (i.e. not carbon fiber or such). I'm guessing they still retain their inner structures otherwise it would flex too much with it's long length. Add the necessary bracing to connect the two panels together, and that has to weigh a ton. I know, I seem to be focusing on one trivial aspect of a neat build, but I really like it so I wonder just how it was done. Any of you that saw the car remember the details of that lid?

Looking at the open hood picture in Mike's post. I see what look like reinforced hinges and two blacked out reinforcing rails to join the two lids. Then a simple prop rod. I don't see any fancy mechanisms. Perhaps the beefed up hinges have spring assist? Regardless. It is a man's car Dr Jeff. If you want to look under the hood... well... nut up, buttercup!! :p:D;):cool: (We really do need the little devil emoticon back, I miss it)

I'm still intrigued by the one-piece engine cover/trunk lid.

Have patience DrJ...I'll get pics & specs on the rear deck lid for you.
JD's words regarding this are spot-on.
Lifts easily by weak old geezer. Ha!

Meanwhile, here are Wayne's words from 18 yrs ago for the backstory.
http://ravi.mirafiori.com/~ulix/x19/wayneV6.html

Conflicting info regarding transaxle...referred to as Buick Riv & also Olds Toro
(early '80s FWD with longitudinal motor)
Same TH325 tranny, so origin of his trans probably isn't real important.
Wayne assures his came from Buick, & has upgraded drive chain from turbo Buick.

Also noticed discrepancy in final drive ratio, referred to as 2.41 or 3.01.
Wayne assures it is now 2.41. Higher ratio being necessary since
tranny was originally geared for much taller tire of Riv/Toro/Eldo.

Motor is different story...3.8 Chevy is different than 3.8 Buick.
Just like Buick 350 or Olds 350 are all different motors than Chevy 350.
Buick might have been better choice, & not sure why Chevy was chosen.
I do know Wayne had first adapted Chevy V8 to Buick trans,
then decided V8 was too tailheavy, & changed to V6.
With bellhousing adaption done, perhaps Chevy V6 seemed simpler at the time.
But mods to deal with Chevy crank/sump to axle interference were extensive.

Thank you all for sharing memories & your interest in a retro X hotrod.
I'll share more info as I can...driving & discovery of
magic under the sheetmetal.
Hidden craftsmanship is amazing.

No doubt a modern sidewinder 4 banger swap yields a better final driving package.
This rowdy thumpin' exhaust & north/south engine swap was started 30 yrs ago.
It's more about Wayne's engineering & fab skills from long ago.

I've driven it around my 'hood,
but not to far or too fast due to 20 yr old tires & tags.
Currently has MegaSquirt with some unresolved issues.
Wayne suggested I convert back to Holley carb.

Un-integrating MS isn't a task I look forward to.
Bending over is worst thing I can do.
Meantime, lighter duty of restoring/upgrading cosmetics
is within my physical capacity.

Back