When should we start hoarding X 1/9 parts?

• "Now is not the time to panic."

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WantAnX1/9

Stuck in gear, leaking fluids, fire in progress...
This thought was inspired by a very topical post on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/d01k25/when_is_parts_availability_for_an_old_car_worrying/

This question also includes the option of buying parts from Obert/Bayless/Vicks, etc. that currently are available, before they vanish.

I know the X 1/9 drivetrain was also used in the 128/Ritmo/Uno, so I am not so concerned with that very much at all. I look at Obert/Bayless/Vicks/eBay, and I can still get new engine gaskets, cams, pistons, rings, bearing kits, ignition components, wires, all of the things one would really need for rebuilding a SOHC 1.3/1.5 Fiat engine.

What parts should we set aside and prevent from being scrapped, so that we have them when they are needed? Tail lamps, when they crack due to age or accidents? All of the glass?

To start, I am sure the targa top should be horded. Interior parts, except for seat covers and carpets...Probably also the EFI and ECU parts, I would think. Does anyone make them, even copies, anymore? Another I was reading about is windshields for the X 1/9---are the windshields shared with any other Fiat models?

You can get almost any part for an original Mini, or many (not all) of the old MGs, Triumphs, Jaguars.

I see some members on this forum are taking the long view, and have several X 1/9s (some to drive, others as parts cars). If you have the space (and a spouse who tolerates it!), this really is a smart move.

So, what parts do you think we should hoard so we can keep our babies on the road for the long term?

I just want to contribute to the discussion on this forum so I, and others (perhaps some lurkers like I once was?) can learn more about these fine cars.

Last edited:
I see some members on this forum are taking the long view, and have several X 1/9s (some to drive, others as parts cars). If you have the space (and a spouse who tolerates it!), this really is a smart move.

Nah, that's because they are so unreliable we need several cars if we want to drive one regularly. :rolleyes:

Some of us have been playing with Fiats for thirty or more years and have just naturally accumulated parts. I never went and purposely bought parts because I thought I might need one in the future. Then again I have friends in the area who have tons of X and spider parts.

I have been able to get pretty much everything I have needed...and that includes some fairly obscure stuff from this forum.

Some of us have been playing with Fiats for thirty or more years and have just naturally accumulated parts. I never went and purposely bought parts because I thought I might need one in the future. Then again I have friends in the area who have tons of X and spider parts.

I have been able to get pretty much everything I have needed...and that includes some fairly obscure stuff from this forum.

This last part is what I am banking on...

Way back in 2004 or so, the rumor was that X specific KYB struts were about to be NLA. I still have the set I bought sitting on a shelf. The struts are still available from KYB.

I do have boxes and boxes of parts. I don't even know what I have. Most were sent my way with a car I purchased. I have come across parts for 128s, 124s and 850s in the pile of parts. I tried to put all the 124 specific parts into the sedan's trunk when it left. Hope I got them all in there.

Hi my name is Todd and I am a Fiat X1/9 parts hoarder.

I didn't start out to be a hoarder. I was like Carl an saved a few parts every time I worked on a car. Than Walter and Carl decided I to help a friend save his X1/9 parts stash. I was volunteered to help move the parts on a weekend. What I didn't know at the time was I "volunteered" to bin and store the parts at my office. I now have 8 ft pallet shelving unit full of used X1/9 parts I am storing for Carl and Walter.

Walter and Carl please come and get your parts!!!!!!

I tend to keep everything that I happen to come across just in case. I have parted out countless X1/9s over the years and try to keep even nuts an bolts as many are unique to the X. This being said, my basement is full of parts and many will never be used. Good to have though and it helps in the event I or a friend needs something I may happen to have.
I just delivered a power window switch to the Lane Motor Museum for Jeff Lane to go in the pristine 1987 Bertone X1/9. Side note, the Bertone was the first car that Jeff purchased from me back in the early 2000s.

I just delivered a power window switch to the Lane Motor Museum for Jeff Lane to go in the pristine 1987 Bertone X1/9. Side note, the Bertone was the first car that Jeff purchased from me back in the early 2000s.

Brett, your X made it on American Pickers a few years ago. If you look carefully anyway. :)
AmericanPickers2015_3.jpg AmericanPickers2015_1.jpg AmericanPickers2015_2.jpg

Hi my name is Todd and I am a Fiat X1/9 parts hoarder.

I didn't start out to be a hoarder. I was like Carl an saved a few parts every time I worked on a car. Than Walter and Carl decided I to help a friend save his X1/9 parts stash. I was volunteered to help move the parts on a weekend. What I didn't know at the time was I "volunteered" to bin and store the parts at my office. I now have 8 ft pallet shelving unit full of used X1/9 parts I am storing for Carl and Walter.

Walter and Carl please come and get your parts!!!!!!

As I recall it was Todd asking if Walter and I wanted to help HIM get the parts and we readily agreed. It was wonderful to keep the parts at Todd's place. I don't have a large industrial area to store parts, just a little storage room in my basement.

As I recall it was Todd asking if Walter and I wanted to help HIM get the parts and we readily agreed. It was wonderful to keep the parts at Todd's place. I don't have a large industrial area to store parts, just a little storage room in my basement.
It must be tough getting old and losing your memory. Dale is Walter's friend. Walter volunteered me because of the big white van. Storing came after we found out how much stuff there was.

...memory, what's that? Who is Todd?

Hoarding not needed but collecting parts just happens naturally over time.

Having had a parts business and then/contemporarily using cars (vs buying individual parts) to build cars for myself, I think I naturally developed the parts hoarding tendency. I got a decent feel for what parts are hard to come by and always kept spares either because they were not available, super expensive, or it was just extremely handy to have them on hand. About 10 years ago, I sold off a tremendous amount of the spares with the idea that I would never need or want them. Then a bit later I made a decision to drive these cars more than less in the process I have replaced a lot of the things that I sold. For me, I have usually had the space and the whole endeavor is a bit of a creative process where I enjoy being able to pull this or that out of storage to make a change to a car or experiment with one that I’m trying to revive or repair. My Fiat projects don’t really happen linearly, so a huge collection of spares gives some agility vs having to hunt up every part I think I want. Is having a lot of spares on hand necessary? I think it is less so today that was 15 years ago with a good network of enthusiast for used parts and a good network of vendors for new and used parts. I doubt that I will change my approach and I will probably continue to buy new parts in multiple quantities so that I have maintenance stock, also an old habit.

I had a bad habit of throwing in my extra parts with cars I've sold, and now am looking at buying parts that I included with sales and got no additional credit for. From now on I'll be a bit more miserly and try to build a decent stash again.

When I bought my 79 and 80 they came with a ton of parts though 60 percent of them were broken or not serviceable. When I moved to Peterborough I got a house with extra large garage and first job was to take down old small shelves and put in shelves for car parts.
20180720_215735 (Medium).jpg

20180721_183741 (Medium).jpg

20180722_123610 (Medium).jpg

20180722_141026 (Medium).jpg

20180722_142728 (Medium).jpg

These shelves are now full and I had to add more to take up the parts from the rebuild. You can never have enough spare parts. The only ones you need are the ones you don't have. Lol

This thought was inspired by a very topical post on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/d01k25/when_is_parts_availability_for_an_old_car_worrying/

This question also includes the option of buying parts from Obert/Bayless, etc. that currently are available, before they vanish.

I know the X 1/9 drivetrain was also used in the 128/Ritmo/Uno, so I am not so concerned with that very much at all. I look at Obert/Bayless/eBay, and I can still get new engine gaskets, cams, pistons, rings, bearing kits, ignition components, wires, all of the things one would really need for rebuilding a SOHC 1.3/1.5 Fiat engine.

What parts should we set aside and prevent from being scrapped, so that we have them when they are needed? Tail lamps, when they crack due to age or accidents? All of the glass?

To start, I am sure the targa top should be horded. Interior parts, except for seat covers and carpets...Probably also the EFI and ECU parts, I would think. Does anyone make them, even copies, anymore? Another I was reading about is windshields for the X 1/9---are the windshields shared with any other Fiat models?

You can get almost any part for an original Mini, or many (not all) of the old MGs, Triumphs, Jaguars.

So, what parts do you think we should horde so we can keep our babies on the road for the long term?

I just want to contribute to the discussion on this forum so I, and others (perhaps some lurkers like I once was?) can learn more about these fine cars.

From my exposure so far anyone with one of these cars should have started hoarding parts in 1973

Back