Aurelio Lampredi

wrxdrew

1300cc's of Angry Bees
DISCLAIMER: Sorry, I'm an engine dork and if you dont care for engine stuff save yourself the pain of reading further...

most of you probably know who he is, but i found this wikipedia article cool.

and i was looking through this article on the SOHC

I ended up reading that the same basic SOHC fiat motor had a very long life span. I never realized the same essential engine could be found in fiat vehicles up until '99.

I'm curious about a few things... Anyone ever stroke a 1300/1500 with a crank and rods from a later engine. Is it possible? how about the 16 valve head, in theory could you not put a 16 valve head on an older engine? What about swaps? I've heard of Uno Turbo swaps, and the Alfa 164 motor swap is pretty cool as well.

If you were to take the best of the best of Fiats 25+ year parts bin, what would make the best SOHC?

I'm a ex muscle car guy and am familar with some of the tricks of that trade. My little Brother is a die hard tuner and tells me all about the tricks of his trade. (He tells me to drop a K20 in my car and be done with it)

But i bought the car for the italian engine, if i wanted a Honda I would have bought a Honda. Who makes the best all Fiat engine, and who has the coolest italian engine (ie. alfa 164 V6 in an X1/9)? Who is making the most power, keeping it italian?

This is my vote...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d816aSB85Z0"]X1/9 with Delta Integrale Power[/ame]

Does anybody know this car, is the owner on xweb? He claims it as the worlds fastest X1/9. Pretty Sweet.

it better be the fastest in the world, its got a lancia delta integrale engine with a BIG turbo
hes got videos of it beating BIKES, not just 600's, like 1300's

That interview remains

as one of (if not) the very best interview ever posted on X-Web IMHO.
Thank you Herzel for doing that.

Now, will there ever be a sequel to that? :eyepop:

Momi ....

...bought a black dash and some other items from us recently at Midwest-Bayless. I was fortunate to speak with him a couple of times. He seems like a pretty cool guy.
By the way, he has upped his horsepower to around 800hp since last year!!!!

What do you mean "best?"

I ask this because my answer will vary depending on what you are interested in doing.

I watched a street driven X kill everything on the autocross because he was running a 1600 stroker motor with custom FI. All on 185/60 r 13 hoosiers.

I have driven a car with a 1500cc motor with 14:1 compression on 110 race gas in DP which limits you to a single 36dcnf carb and have killed everything in my way. Intake and exhaust valves were stock btw.

I have also seen a 1300cc motor with higher compression, big valve heads, etc do much better than I thought at nationals driven by our own Matt at midwest X1/9.

So again, it depends on what you mean by best. Each setup described above was designed for very different reasons and worked very well in each area.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Eric

...bought a black dash and some other items from us recently at Midwest-Bayless. I was fortunate to speak with him a couple of times. He seems like a pretty cool guy.
By the way, he has upped his horsepower to around 800hp since last year!!!!

Holy crap! Thomas, can you and Matt build me car like his ?? :eyepop:

Matt could with his eyes closed....

...me, not so much!

He can you build something to your specifications and budget.

I am having him build me up an engine over the winter for UBX. I just got my twin 36DCNFs in the mail the other day.

I am learning new and exciting things here every single day, though.

Momi don't need no "Sally" saltflats....

....He runs his HP on the streets of Israel...with over 100 more horses, as well.:)
I personally prefer the street look.
Johnny Hotnuts has it goin' on, though. Pretty cool, way fast!

I ask this because my answer will vary depending on what you are interested in doing.

I watched a street driven X kill everything on the autocross because he was running a 1600 stroker motor with custom FI. All on 185/60 r 13 hoosiers.

I have driven a car with a 1500cc motor with 14:1 compression on 110 race gas in DP which limits you to a single 36dcnf carb and have killed everything in my way. Intake and exhaust valves were stock btw.

I have also seen a 1300cc motor with higher compression, big valve heads, etc do much better than I thought at nationals driven by our own Matt at midwest X1/9.

So again, it depends on what you mean by best. Each setup described above was designed for very different reasons and worked very well in each area.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Eric

Best is an intentionally vague word. Some people might favor a rediculous street set up. Some people might love a well prepped/funtional/winning race motor, while other might have respect for bang for the buck motors.

The only premise would be that its all italian, or a fiat powered fiat, or favorite SOHC build. Driving the Iron block, aluminum head, SOHC with 160,000mi and still bouncing it of red-line, i have huge respect for Aurielo Lampreti. I just want to see what people have done with these engines.

I've driven some cars with some built engines over the years (400-600HP V8s and turbo 4s) but i have to say the 75HP SOHC is more fun then a lot them, and considering Lampreti came from Ferrari, I'm certain the SOHC is capable of much more then 75 smog choked HP.

Just about anything you might imagine has been done with this FIAT SOHC engine.. From low compression, smog requirement meeting to turbo charged 600+ Bhp drag racer engine. It's been done.

FIAT built many millions of these engines and many are still around today powering everything from mundane transportation cars to race cars..

There was a Jalopnik write up on this engine not too long ago.. Note the comments from the "readers" about this engine. Most are totally clueless and a few get it:

http://jalopnik.com/5348746/engine-of-the-day-fiat-sohc

~~~~~~~~
I just want to see what people have done with these engines.

SOHC DOHC

most of you probably know who he is, but i found this wikipedia article cool.

and i was looking through this article on the SOHC

I ended up reading that the same basic SOHC fiat motor had a very long life span. I never realized the same essential engine could be found in fiat vehicles up until '99.

I'm curious about a few things... Anyone ever stroke a 1300/1500 with a crank and rods from a later engine. Is it possible? how about the 16 valve head, in theory could you not put a 16 valve head on an older engine?

I also found this article interesting. I thought that it was unusual that a DOHC head was developed in 1995 for the SOHC engine (Torque) when a separate Fiat DOHC engine had been available since 1972.

I also found it strange that the popular engine swaps from this engine family seem to be restricted to the Uno Turbo (Mk I and Mk II) when more power can be obtained from a Punto GT engine and a similar amount of power from the normally aspirated 16V engine.

I managed to find these links from people who have completed a swap based on a 16V variant of the X1/9 (SOHC) engine.

http://www.youngtimer-bodensee.de/2009_Kopf-16V.html

http://www.fiatforum.com/x1-9/100233-x1-9-1600-16v-conversion.html

I'm wondering whether space might be an issue when using some of these engines (such as the Punto GT)?.

In any case, I'd be interested in hearing from people who had used other engines from the same "blood line" as the X1/9 motor. I suppose that access to these engines is difficult for people outside Europe.

Cheers,
Dom.

I also found this article interesting. I thought that it was unusual that a DOHC head was developed in 1995 for the SOHC engine (Torque) when a separate Fiat DOHC engine had been available since 1972.

I also found it strange that the popular engine swaps from this engine family seem to be restricted to the Uno Turbo (Mk I and Mk II) when more power can be obtained from a Punto GT engine and a similar amount of power from the normally aspirated 16V engine.

I managed to find these links from people who have completed a swap based on a 16V variant of the X1/9 (SOHC) engine.

http://www.youngtimer-bodensee.de/2009_Kopf-16V.html

http://www.fiatforum.com/x1-9/100233-x1-9-1600-16v-conversion.html

I'm wondering whether space might be an issue when using some of these engines (such as the Punto GT)?.

In any case, I'd be interested in hearing from people who had used other engines from the same "blood line" as the X1/9 motor. I suppose that access to these engines is difficult for people outside Europe.

Cheers,
Dom.

Thanks Dom. This is what I'm talking about. If you start with the basic block and then look at pistons/rods bore/stroke, compression ratio, combustion chamber, number of valves, intake style, etc. Is there a modern Aluminum version of the SOHC Block? I mean 30 years of R&D on the same engine, there's got to be some sweet combos out there.

I know that boring and stroking is an old muscle car trick (ie. 383 stroker, 350 with 400 crank) and boost is what my tuner brother swears by, but theres got to be some neat tricks that can be done with an engine with a 30 year parts bin.

Back