B16 shift linkage

autox19

True Classic
So close, yet so far away. Fired her up today (on jack stands) and ran through the gears. I cant seem to find reverse. All gears worked fine from the honda I ripped it from so I am guessing it has to do with my linkage. I used the fiat shifer then a rod from where the lolipop was to go to the honda linkage input. I know others used the honda shifter. Should I go that route? because snow has hit I have all winter so it shouldnt be a big deal other than I need to pick up a new honda shifter as mine was lost long ago. (yes 7 year project) Is there something on the fiat shifter locking it out?
I havnt really looked hard as there was another big issue I had to deal with. you know injector seals sitting for 7 years tend to dry out and blast open spewing fuel all over the place? (while the car was running with no exhaust. YIKES!)

Odie

I'd jack up the back end of the car and crawl under to where the shift mechanism connects to the transmission and verify that you can manually put it in reverse gear. You can do this with your hands by manually moving the shift lever. Use a tool for leverage if necessary. You may be binding on something with the shift rod that prevents it from going into reverse. Being under the car will let you prove or disprove this theory.

I will see what I can do. until I fix the injector issue I won't be able to start it to show what gear it's in. but maybe visually something can be seen. wife has stolen me today to decorate

Odie

sorry for the delay, life once again gets in the way ;) here is what I have (and I committed the cardinal sin, no pics) I looked and sure enough it was hitting the trans when the shifter was pushed to the passenger side (5th and reverse) upon bending things around I got it to clear but now it is sloppy as everything. So I am currently thinking of going back to the honda linkage. I took the fiat shifter out and compared it to the honda. looks like the fiat hangs lower than the honda by about 1/2 inch from the ball (fulcrum point on the shifter) and see that other swaps used the honda one, I am really thinking of that route. down side, I cut it to make the honda fit and there is no turning back.

Odie

ok, semi success!!! I tried the honda one, didnt work out as well as I would have liked. so I put the fiat one back in. adjusted the position of the shifter itself a little. after about 3 more tries with different rods, bending and twisting, looks like I am almost there. I still cant seem to get it in reverse but I am starting to think it might be more of a case of the syncros not aligning and with the engine not being started (banned from that until I can stsart it out of the garage, dang injector leak spraying gas all over spooked the wife) it isnt moving the syncros to be able to slip in.

Odie

Back