Beer tap shifter...

One of the first mods I did to my X was to chuck the gear shift lever rod in my lathe and take 50mm off the height. It improved shifting and looks better in my opinion. Not sure why they put such a tall shifter in a car with such low shift effort.

I too really like the stock ball shift knobs. Run them on my 124 and even my ‘88 Toyota 4x4

16B06A1B-413C-4BF6-BBC3-4E29B214B9D8.jpeg

Sorry, getting a bit back on topic, but I'd really recommend the factory Bertone shifter that actually came on the late model X's. It's a cool little shifter that feels good in the palm, sits shorter than than 'Beer Tap' shifter. Also is gear neutral, so doesn't matter if you're 4 or 5 speed, just has the Bertone 'B' stamped on the top. Although the 'B' stamp is very light and sorta disappears with minor wear, have had to do a bit of creative re-stamping to try and keep it.

One of the first mods I did to my X was to chuck the gear shift lever rod in my lathe and take 50mm off the height. It improved shifting and looks better in my opinion.
That's why I don't see any issue with the 88/89 factory shifter. It is short so your hand sits quite naturally on top and feels comfortable in the palm. (sorry, should have given the interior a bit of clean first).
X19.JPG
X19_2.JPG

Like many, I am a big fan of the classic ball shifter. My ‘85 X has one but with the rod apparently (it’s one part of that car I have not yet taken apart/redone) cut down rather drastically. My ‘79 has a Momo knob (funny...I bought it years ago to use on a sitdown side/side driving game i hacked to run PS2s & GTx networked...saved the knob & now it’s on a real car). That one is on a rod where the pivot was pushed for what was intended to be a geometrically correct short-throw shifter (also not yet touched since the PO).

When I had my 81 X many years ago, it had the tap shifter. I was quickly informed by my Fiat friends that the shifter was not well-liked, but I have to say that I did find it worked nicely & was surprisingly ergonomically “right” for the kind of 2 finger/light shifting that I believe these cars (at least the ones with 5 forward gears) prefer. Go figure.

View attachment 16907
Jeff, this is exactly what I was thinking. My first X was a 75'. The 1st year they came with the vinyl boot. I've always loved this look, and lamented that these were only offered for a few years before they switched to the newer style rectangular rubber boot. I'm not a fan of the beer tap either, and (IMHO) that "look" (despite perhaps being what some would call "period correct" for a 70's sports car) is worsened by the rubber boot. It never quite came together for me the way the older style did. As soon as I purchased Gianine, (my 79') I started the hunt for a suitable vinyl or leather boot to replace the half-assed one the PO had cobbled together from the torn base of the original rubber boot, and what looked to be an aftermarket vinyl sheath that someone may have used on an old beetle. My initial search turned up a thumbnail photo of the actual Fiat factory boot I so desperately wanted, but my hopes were quickly dashed when it was a dead link to the MWB website (which I had already scoured over unsuccessfully). I varied my search terms and checked google images "every night" for over a month and realized that these were "hen's teeth" and I would "never have a factory leather or vinyl boot . I resigned myself to having to either make my own (ala Craig Shepard) or find something similar enough to modify and fit. To make matters worse, the few boots I did find that looked like suitable substitutes (used or new) were all from very expensive or exclusive Italian marques of the era, and of course were ridiculously expensive! I was prepared to start cutting patterns and buy some material to sew one up, when I called Midwest to place a phone order for some parts. Matt answered and took my order. Before we hung up, I asked him if he knew of "anywhere" I could get a real X vinyl boot. He casually mentioned he thought he "might" have one or two still "laying around". He said would you like me to add that to your order? I "casually" said sure, why don't you just go ahead and do that. When I hung up the phone I felt like I'd just hit the lottery! Not only did he have it, it was NOS in the plastic wrapper!
Matt is the best!

This was not a straight swap. There was quite a bit of modification required to the console and I had to devise a method of attachment that was not going to come loose over time, be removable (if necessary) and look like a factory install.

Also, this is an interim step. I am also planning on losing the beer tap...changing the color of the shifter lever to chrome or silver, and installing a custom walnut knob. My goal is to have that classic look of a "proper" sports car of the late 60's early 70's. I'm almost there.
View attachment 16901 View attachment 16905 View attachment 16906

Hmmmmmmm he says.... For some reason, I just can't remember where I've seen this before...

03top10iconicmovielocations.jpg

Back