Best 185/60/13s currently available?

Eastep

True Classic
I'm looking to swap from 15s and run 13s this season. Who currently offers the best tires in 18/60/13?
I've had experience with Achilles in the past, and from what I remember, they were trash in the wet and horrid road noise. I see Federal offers this sizing, but I seem to remember something about balancing issues related these, mentioned here??
I have run Federal in the past on other vehicles and was never affected by any balancing or quality issues.
Any suggestions or opinions welcome. Thanks.

I'm looking to swap from 15s and run 13s this season. Who currently offers the best tires in 18/60/13?
I've had experience with Achilles in the past, and from what I remember, they were trash in the wet and horrid road noise. I see Federal offers this sizing, but I seem to remember something about balancing issues related these, mentioned here??
I have run Federal in the past on other vehicles and was never affected by any balancing or quality issues.
I just put on a new set of Federals and have had zero issues. These tires do have a blue or yellow dot on the sidewall that needs to be mounted at the tire valve stem for optimal balance. You need to watch the guys doing the mounting as 99 out of a 100 have no idea what that mark is for, and some fail to realize they are directional as well.

Best? Some of the autocross tires would be a good choice, how many miles do you drive?

Toyo Proxes R888 would likely be the ‘best’

Com'mon guys! You know what I'm looking for! R888s and R888Rs, YES, are technically "street tires" blah blah blah, yes. Im not looking for slick with a couple groves cut in them for legality reasons. Im looking for actual tires that can be used safely in a wide temperature range without loss of performance including temps under 50°F and in seasonal rain.

Fed 595s suggested. Thanks. Any others?

Has anyone had experience with Toyo CF 2's ?

I have Yokohama A-539 summer tires that I mounted in 2015 (second set I've used). I bought them from Demontweeks UK, and they were not listed on their website. I contacted them and they had them for a spec race series they use them for.

They perform quite well in my opinion - the handling & braking is great. No one in North America sells them though :( - you will have to import them.

When I'm due for another set, I'll contact them again -and/or I'll try these - and yes, they're available in 185/60/13! :) - yes, they will be expensive... however, it's the easiest "bolt on" performance modification you can make to these cars that help in braking, handling & looking awesome! Kinda where you need to start in my opinion. When I bought my car in 1989, it came with Pirelli P6 in 185/60/13 - I then put Yokohama A509 which I loved - then two sets of A539.

1615123769888.png
1615123803120.png

I have Yokohama A-539 summer tires that I mounted in 2015 (second set I've used). I bought them from Demontweeks UK, and they were not listed on their website. I contacted them and they had them for a spec race series they use them for.

They perform quite well in my opinion - the handling & braking is great. No one in North America sells them though :( - you will have to import them.

When I'm due for another set, I'll contact them again -and/or I'll try these - and yes, they're available in 185/60/13! :) - yes, they will be expensive... however, it's the easiest "bolt on" performance modification you can make to these cars that help in braking, handling & looking awesome! Kinda where you need to start in my opinion. When I bought my car in 1989, it came with Pirelli P6 in 185/60/13 - I then put Yokohama A509 which I loved - then two sets of A539.

View attachment 44197 View attachment 44198

Plus I love that old-school Yokohama tread pattern. It's like an AVS-Intermediate mixed with an A509, I love it.

I've bought the Federal SS595s twice now- last time from Walmart; best available price at the time (January), free delivery.
No balance or roundness issues; nice look on 6" rims; very reasonable wet grip. Recommend!

Interestingly, I contacted DemonTweeks this weekend about a set of Vredesteins and was told they don’t ship to Canada or the U.S. due to liability issues 🥺 Maybe they’ve changed their policy about tire exports

Hi,

I suppose it all depends on requirements and availability. For street use I like Yokohama A539s (I've been using these for many years). Other options include Yokohama A008, Toyo Proxes CF 2 and Nankang NA-1. In the performance range you have not only Toyo R888s but also Yokohama Advan A048s and Nankang NS-2Rs.

Cheers,
Dom.

Interestingly, I contacted DemonTweeks this weekend about a set of Vredesteins and was told they don’t ship to Canada or the U.S. due to liability issues 🥺 Maybe they’ve changed their policy about tire exports
Vulcan tire Sales lists a few Vredestein tires in 13" sizes (175/65/13 and 165/70/13, but no 185/60/13) I have never bought from them, but I bookmarked their site for when I need new tires.

Thanks for the replies and help.
I leaning towards the Toyos or Nankang. My 15s currently wear Nankang NS2s, and they are a really good tire!
Now, if only Michelin would offer the Pilot Sport AS3+s in 13s, life would be ideal 🙄

$216.24 each.

$216.24 each

worth it!!! :) and thanks for the link!! $273 CAD, not bad. I paid about $200 ea for the A539 tires, but I think that was shipped. I bought 5, and I'll be due in 2024! (the production date is 2014 on mine)

Still cheaper than 348 tires!! 😃

Last edited:
I have a set of 4 185/60x13 Federal SS-595 in my garage - you can have them for 100bucks if you're interested..... you'll have to come get them though -shipping would be much more than that, I reckon.

Back