Best 185/60/13s currently available?

Bingo! $144/tire with shipping.
Michelin for the win.
Even I’m not brave enough to get 4 tires shipped in from Tokyo. 🙃

What would be the risk? I mean, I've shipped bumpers from Italy. An exhaust from the UK and from Germany. Heck, even an entire car from London.

Not sure I understand the fear of shipping tires from Japan?

No fear.. shipping expense. Go for it and report back.
I’m good..just like that. 👍

D358221D-9CE5-405E-AA77-71D0D85AD65E.jpeg

Where did you find your Campy’s? Really nice.
Fortunate to own 2 sets now of the 4spokes..
One set I traded straight up with a really nice set of CD31 Daytonas that are a dime a dozen compared to the Campys.

Other set from a forum member in the FS&W section here where you have to be lightning quick with good timing and have cash at the ready.

6A24CC3E-1BF5-4133-B86C-52066773BFB6.jpeg

What would be the risk? I mean, I've shipped bumpers from Italy. An exhaust from the UK and from Germany. Heck, even an entire car from London.

Shipping non-USA DOT approved tires into the USA from abroad can result in them being seized by US Customs, with no compensation for your loss. The "DOT" approval must be printed on the sidewall of the tire.

Shipping non-USA DOT approved tires into the USA from abroad can result in them being seized by US Customs, with no compensation for your loss.

This is indeed true. Canada doesn't have a restriction like this AFAIK.

Interestingly enough, my A539 mentions Canada/USA on the sidewall - but there's no DOT approval, just Euro. I'll have to take a shot of the marking.

Can't you specify somewhere that the tires are for off road use (regardless of how you actually plan to use them)?

Can't you specify somewhere that the tires are for off road use (regardless of how you actually plan to use them)?
Maybe on a customs declaration sheet?
I think the seller/shipper would have to make that declaration, not the recipient.

Shipping non-USA DOT approved tires into the USA from abroad can result in them being seized by US Customs, with no compensation for your loss. The "DOT" approval must be printed on the sidewall of the tire.

Do you have any evidence of this ever happening? And much of the world has adopted the DOT numbering schema even though they may not sell the tires here. So it's highly likely the tires already have these markings regardless.

Still, I would highly doubt customs seizing tires simply because they don't have DOT markings.

Found this for importing tires into Canada - seems that my Yokohama A5390 tires were able to come in to Canada with no problem as they meet Japanese safety standards.

1616102017010.png

For the US - I can't see anything that actually excludes non DOT tires but then the sentence contradicts itself.... !?!? I have seen customs importation notes that explicitly say you can't import non DOT tires into the US, (and if you google it... you'll see many forums claim the same thing)

1616102388879.png

How are race tires, with no DOT certification imported? Obviously you can buy them here so they are clearly imported somehow.

How are race tires, with no DOT certification imported? Obviously you can buy them here so they are clearly imported somehow.
Race tires are always clearly marked "for competition use only" on the sidewall of the tire...........
'

I have Yokohama A-539 summer tires that I mounted in 2015 (second set I've used). I bought them from Demontweeks UK, and they were not listed on their website. I contacted them and they had them for a spec race series they use them for.

They perform quite well in my opinion - the handling & braking is great. No one in North America sells them though :( - you will have to import them.

When I'm due for another set, I'll contact them again -and/or I'll try these - and yes, they're available in 185/60/13! :) - yes, they will be expensive... however, it's the easiest "bolt on" performance modification you can make to these cars that help in braking, handling & looking awesome! Kinda where you need to start in my opinion. When I bought my car in 1989, it came with Pirelli P6 in 185/60/13 - I then put Yokohama A509 which I loved - then two sets of A539.

View attachment 44197 View attachment 44198

Myron, do you know the treadwear (UTQG) number for the A539 tyres?

They make them in the exact size I want to use for the lemon racer, (185/50/14) and if the A539 is 220 treadwear rating or more then I might do like you and import the tyres I want to use.

I had A509's on my 128 sedan for years and loved them.

SteveC

Myron, do you know the treadwear (UTQG) number for the A539 tyres?

They make them in the exact size I want to use for the lemon racer, (185/50/14) and if the A539 is 220 treadwear rating or more then I might do like you and import the tyres I want to use.

I had A509's on my 128 sedan for years and loved them.

SteveC

Hey Steve,

are you sure that you need to import them? I was able to buy A539s from my local Beaurepaires in Sydney, although admittedly that was around 2006.

Dom.

Back