Best 185/60/13s currently available?

Steve, I have some used A539's in 13", TW rating is 300.
If you are going to import some, how about getting a heap of 185/60 R13 as well to sell off to help cover your costs, it would make them pretty expensive though.
They are pretty good tyres, but wet grip is not as good as the latest performance tyres, the euro wet braking rating is 'C', just average, rating B should be possible in 14", but maybe not in the size you want?

Update - Longstone order has appeared to have cleared customs per DHL interface

Saturday, March 20, 2021
Pieces
9Clearance processing complete at LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USALOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA12:38 PM1 Pieces
Thursday, March 18, 2021
Pieces
8Arrived at Sort Facility LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USALOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA3:10 PM1 Pieces
7Customs status updatedLOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA8:32 AM

Interesting, looking forward to seeing a report back on the shipping costs and the tires. I was looking at the Federal tires, but not sure I see a vendor has four tires. I did run across these Atlas HP tires, that I can find details on Atlas website. Anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks

my order is still in process mode.
Looks like they bring in the tires once the order is placed.
Michelins should arrive to them 10-14 business days after the order is placed then shipping from UK.

So maybe mid-April for me.
Going to be a fun summer UTQG is 240.

971CF9B6-774A-4869-9D6B-938C1915B68D.png

F4374E8C-8615-44F6-A4FF-BFAF53884E9D.jpeg

my order is still in process mode.
Looks like they bring in the tires once the order is placed.
Michelins should arrive to them 10-14 business days after the order is placed then shipping from UK.

So maybe mid-April for me.
Going to be a fun summer UTQG is 240.

View attachment 45198
View attachment 45199
These look like they will be great tyres. Euro wet braking grip rating is A, I have never seen a 185/60 R13 higher than B, and even they are hard to find. And UTQG TW240 and AA for grip. And it looks like they are availble in Australia.

These look like they will be great tyres. Euro wet braking grip rating is A, I have never seen a 185/60 R13 higher than B, and even they are hard to find. And UTQG TW240 and AA for grip. And it looks like they are availble in Australia.
For sure!
Now we wait for what date codes these arrive with.
Drumroll for Agnelli.

When I contacted the last tire shop who mounted 13" Compomotives for me, specifically asking them to mount the new Exaltos on 13x5.5 Campagnolo Ragnos they refused (communicating through the digital scheduler on their website). I thought that odd so I called. The shop guy said they were afraid with their mounting equipment they'd bend my light alloys. But did in the end recommend a shop that has what's called a center post tire mounting machine. And that shop is willing. Anyone here know anything about tire mounting technology and might educate us?
index.php

Attachments

• Set finished.png
    Set finished.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 619
a centre post machine is basically hand operated, well from my understanding... it's the old style machine where the operator needs to slip a bar down the centre and use a lever to roll the bead off, using the post as a pivot as he mves around the tyre.

modern machines do everything in one motion, they grip the wheel from the inside and spin it, the lever drops in from the side and pulls the bead up and over... this motion can bend rlightweight rims.

If the manual fitter is skilled it wont't ttake him long to do 60 series tyres on a centre post, if he's very good he wont even scratch the rims.

those Michelns in a 185/60 /14 would be a nice tyre for the lemon......

SteveC

That looks like the Michelin Exaltos model number for the tire not the date.
Give us another photo of what numbers are near the DOT stamp area.

When I contacted the last tire shop who mounted 13" Compomotives for me, specifically asking them to mount the new Exaltos on 13x5.5 Campagnolo Ragnos they refused (communicating through the digital scheduler on their website). I thought that odd so I called. The shop guy said they were afraid with their mounting equipment they'd bend my light alloys. But did in the end recommend a shop that has what's called a center post tire mounting machine. And that shop is willing. Anyone here know anything about tire mounting technology and might educate us?

Dont sweat it Agnelli. You should have nothing to worry about.....

Mounting those new tires on already bare wheels is very simple. Any shop with a tire machine from the last 30 years...as long as they take a little care..can easily mount them without damage. Any decent tire machine - properly adjusted for the wheel - has ZERO metal-to-metal contact with the wheel. And will cause no damage at all.

I have a tire machine...and have mounted 100's of tires. In fact....with lots of good tire lube...I'd be able to mount them with hand pressure alone.

Just find a shop...any shop.... preferably not with a first-day-on-the-job kid manning the tire machine. ...that is willing to take some care with them...and you will be fine.

I would though suggest..I always do....that BEFORE mounting the tires....that you ask them to spin up the bare wheel on their balancer. To check for sure the wheels are straight. Just watch it spin. and it should come up all zeros.

index.php
Nice wheels. I suggest you call Brandon at Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley and discuss it with him. I trust them with my lightweight cast magnesium race car wheels. They are very accustomed to working on rare, lightweight 13" wheels.

That looks like the Michelin Exaltos model number for the tire not the date.
Give us another photo of what numbers are near the DOT stamp area.
Thanks for the feedback above on mounting. I will report back. Agree on the spinning up bare wheels first. On my existing set of vintage Panasports (13x7) with Michelin Defenders (175/70r13), the guys at Diamond Tire did just that. And placed the marginally straighter two wheels on the front end of the car to minimize vibration. Not sure why they're afraid of my Campy's.

Back to your questions about date codes, of which I am curious to learn how to interpret. I cut off the nylon shipping bands and took photos in the morning sun beaming into the back of the 128, my 'shop truck' to transport wheels and tires to either Rite-Way or Roger Kraus to mount. Here are images of the Pilot Exaltos. Get this: they're made in Russia! No wonder they have a good bad weather rating.

EDIT - just read up on how to determine date codes. The "5020" indicates the 50th week of 2020. So these were made the week of December 14th 2020. Not so old :)

pilot1.JPG
Pilot2.JPG
Pilot3.JPG

Aha...in case you have not figured this out...that tire was made in the 50th week of 2020. Any fresher and they would still be warm.....

And yes...that tire is indeed DOT apptoved....

EDIT - just read up on how to determine date codes. The "5020" indicates the 50th week of 2020. So these were made the week of December 14th 2020. Not so old :)
Awesome thanks for this! The Longstone invoicing does show made in Russia.
Good to be you now and me very soon 😁

It would be nice to let Longstone know that these fit our Fiat X1/9s! Would be nice if they can update their site with this fitment (my logic is that if they sell enough to support these, there will be future availability for them... or so I hope!)

I'm surprised Coker doesn't offer a 185/60/13 - although, I bet these aren't very popular at all in North America any longer.

Back