Can a '79, 49 state compliant, x1/9 be modified to pass CA smog?

I have a 1979 X1/9 lined up for purchase but it is not originally a CA car and is 49 state compliant instead of CA compliant. I was hoping to do an engine swap in an effort to make the car more reliable and pass CA emissions. Unfortunately, engine swaps don't seem to be compliant either, for the most part.

Have any CA owners dealt with this problem? Were you able to modify or replace the engine with something that has passed CA smog?

Thank you for any assistance.
I have a 1982 X1/9 with fuel injection which was rebuilt and purchase in Ohio by Midwest/Bayless. I live in California. For it to pass Calif. smog I had to install a 50 state Calif. catalytic converter. It is much larger and more expensive then the 49 state catalytic converter. It did pass Calif. smog. The price you pay for living in California! A rare car you don't see in California!

Any swap must meet requirements of the year of the engine, not the car. The engine can be a later model, but not earlier than the year of the car. It must meet ALL requirements including evaporative systems, original OEM cats, etc. of the car it came out of.

Right, and this is what I call a "dirty trick." If having cleaner-than-stock vehicle emissions is actually the goal, then I would think that you would encourage (or at least not overregulate or prohibit) any modifications that demonstrably achieve that goal, even if to a very slight degree.

What is unreliable with a Fiat SOHC?

Placed in historical perspective, the single cam engine is an adequately reliable engine. As long as you don't expect modern engine feats out of it (200k mile service without opening the engine, 100k spark plugs, etc.,) it's an excellent engine. But it is a product of its time. And every last piece of rubber and electronics surrounding it are decades old. All of that stuff can let you down as well.

Right, and this is what I call a "dirty trick." If having cleaner-than-stock vehicle emissions is actually the goal, then I would think that you would encourage (or at least not overregulate or prohibit) any modifications that demonstrably achieve that goal, even if to a very slight degree.
I get what you are saying, but keep in mind that a later model engine is cleaner if it hasn't been modified/altered/smog equipment removed. The CARB referees are making sure the engine still has its original equipment (for that engine) to be as clean as it was designed to be. Otherwise someone could install a newer model engine that has been altered in ways that it actually pollutes more than the original engine did. For example imagine a full race large displacement engine replacing a tiny economy engine. Perhaps there might be another means of encouraging the installation of newer engines, that are still smog stock, by reducing registration fees or such.

I get what you are saying, but keep in mind that a later model engine is cleaner if it hasn't been modified/altered/smog equipment removed. The CARB referees are making sure the engine still has its original equipment (for that engine) to be as clean as it was designed to be. Otherwise someone could install a newer model engine that has been altered in ways that it actually pollutes more than the original engine did. For example imagine a full race large displacement engine replacing a tiny economy engine. Perhaps there might be another means of encouraging the installation of newer engines, that are still smog stock, by reducing registration fees or such.

But that's why I said "demonstrably," as in verified on a dyno. If your swap is a 1% improvement over a compliant and passing stock engine, then you moved the needle in the correct direction. You have been a good green citizen.

But that's why I said "demonstrably," as in verified on a dyno. If your swap is a 1% improvement over a compliant and passing stock engine, then you moved the needle in the correct direction. You have been a good green citizen.
Of course that would be asking a government agency to use simple logic....never gonna happen. :p

Both of my Xs are 50 state cars, one came from California the other was sold in Ohio I believe. The FI Xs were all 50 start cars I believe.

Yes it would make sense that one could put a late FI engine assembly in an early car and with an X it would be entirely possible given the standalone nature of the ignition and FI. There is even less to install and go wrong on FI in terms of the emissions systems.

Agreed trying get a government system which is trying to hold back the inventiveness of a million budding NASCAR cheaters is why there isn’t a logical way to update an older car. The real issue is durability, yes a modified car could meet the letter of the law, once. The question is will it continue to do so day after day for years, that is the issue here. Witness the number of folks we all know who have multiple setups of carburetors, exhaust, specialized fuels and so on to meet emissions testing on that day…

Not all of us are well intentioned relative to being good environmental stewards, but feel free to pretend otherwise…

Engine swaps can be accomplished without too much aggravation if the vehicle and donor are similar. 1980-90s Jag XJs are swapped all the time. Monster Miata and small block Z-cars are other examples. The key to a swap that will make it past the referee is that the year of the car and the year of the engine be the same. It is usually very easy to retain the donor engine related emission equipment, fit the OEM cat, etc., but when the engine is newer than the vehicle the evaporative system is not certified for the newer year engine. No matter what you do to try and update it, the only way it'll fly is to install the entire system from the donor car which is usually not practical/possible. For a '79 X you can swap in any '79 engine you like, but what would that be exactly? Another misconception is that '67-'75 smog exempt vehicle have a free ride. The reality is that while the bi-annual test is waived, it's still illegal to perform a swap or tamper/remove any of the original emissions equipment. Is it a big risk to take? Not really. Although the ARB does set-up roadside sniffers with photographic plate recorders once in a while and roadside checkpoints, it's rare, but it does happen. Only safe avenues in this state to be free of requirements are to build a replica (Cobra, GT-40, Lotus 7, etc) and register it under the SB100 program as a 1966 or below. The only emission requirement is a PCV. Or, don't fool with anything other than pre-smog cars ('66 and down). Those you can drop a radial Lycoming in them if you want because no smog laws existed at the time of manufacture. There are no retro smog laws in the state except one. All vehicles must have a closed crankcase ventilation system regardless of year. Anything with a road draft tube, even a Model T has to be modified to a closed system. For anyone trying to use logic in thinking their K20 swap is a 100 times cleaner that what the car originally had, don't waste the effort. In a state with cities that outlaw charcoal for BBQ grills, we're just lucky these bureaucrats haven't outlawed driving any car over 10 years old - at least not yet, but give it time.......... One final note, if you play around the edge of the law in California (modified 67-75 car, claimed a low value for sales tax, have out of state registration and plates on anything, etc.) stay far away from Cars and Coffee and local show events. ARB and DMV investigators have been known to be in attendance now and then, and it's not because they are car enthusiasts.

Engine swaps can be accomplished without too much aggravation if the vehicle and donor are similar. 1980-90s Jag XJs are swapped all the time. Monster Miata and small block Z-cars are other examples. The key to a swap that will make it past the referee is that the year of the car and the year of the engine be the same. It is usually very easy to retain the donor engine related emission equipment, fit the OEM cat, etc., but when the engine is newer than the vehicle the evaporative system is not certified for the newer year engine. No matter what you do to try and update it, the only way it'll fly is to install the entire system from the donor car which is usually not practical/possible. For a '79 X you can swap in any '79 engine you like, but what would that be exactly? Another misconception is that '67-'75 smog exempt vehicle have a free ride. The reality is that while the bi-annual test is waived, it's still illegal to perform a swap or tamper/remove any of the original emissions equipment. Is it a big risk to take? Not really. Although the ARB does set-up roadside sniffers with photographic plate recorders once in a while and roadside checkpoints, it's rare, but it does happen. Only safe avenues in this state to be free of requirements are to build a replica (Cobra, GT-40, Lotus 7, etc) and register it under the SB100 program as a 1966 or below. The only emission requirement is a PCV. Or, don't fool with anything other than pre-smog cars ('66 and down). Those you can drop a radial Lycoming in them if you want because no smog laws existed at the time of manufacture. There are no retro smog laws in the state except one. All vehicles must have a closed crankcase ventilation system regardless of year. Anything with a road draft tube, even a Model T has to be modified to a closed system. For anyone trying to use logic in thinking their K20 swap is a 100 times cleaner that what the car originally had, don't waste the effort. In a state with cities that outlaw charcoal for BBQ grills, we're just lucky these bureaucrats haven't outlawed driving any car over 10 years old - at least not yet, but give it time.......... One final note, if you play around the edge of the law in California (modified 67-75 car, claimed a low value for sales tax, have out of state registration and plates on anything, etc.) stay far away from Cars and Coffee and local show events. ARB and DMV investigators have been known to be in attendance now and then, and it's not because they are car enthusiasts.
The WD folks stripped ALL the emissions equipment from the ‘74 before selling it. When registering, the only problem we had was because their ‘master mechanics’ stuffed the dashboard VIN UNDER the dash. Once we found that, we were good to go. They may have looked in the engine, but only for I.D. marks it appeared. So, no Cars & Coffee for us?

I have a '79 X1/9 that has a FI '84 engine in it. It was a California car to begin with but after the mechanic did the engine swap, he took it to a referee station and it now sports a BAR sticker on it. The only goofy thing was the sticker the genius at the Referee Station used indicates there should be a check engine light, but there isn't one.

A "good" smog shop that understands Fiats will be able to work past that. I no longer go to the local corner gas station that does smog because of that.

@Torgo - where in California are you located?

@Larry I'm in Rancho Cucamonga.

I found a user here, Tdskip, who was selling a '74 locally, so I decided that I would pass on the headache of trying to bring the '79 here. Though I'm glad to hear it's worked out for others. I picked up the local car today and look forward to the upcoming restoration on Tskips great shell and drivetrain. Mostly interior and little things etc.

That is wonderful news @Torgo. The '74 is Smog Exempt, so you don't have to worry about dealing with the smog inspection but still do what you can to get the car running as clean as it can.

There's an event coming up on November 6 in Woodley Park in Van Nuys called the Best of France and Italy. Quite a few of the So-Cal XWeb people attend. I'm in Santa Clara and a member of FIAT America. Every year, about 10 or so people make the drive down from this area. It's usually a 3 or 4 day drive covering about 1,000 or so miles - almost entirely on backroads. It's a fun, low-key show. Even if your car isn't ready, you should consider attending. Plus, it's a show where people bring their current projects too or cars that aren't as pretty as they might like.

There's some things I want to make sure are checked out before I attempt any more long distance driving with it. Today's heat of over 100 and heavy stop and go traffic really taxed the cooling system. I talked to Tdskip about it and he had never experienced the issue before. I figure I'll add the extra fan he supplied me with, and make sure the cooling system is functioning with the modified toggle switch to kick in the fans that is installed but disconnected at the moment. Since the car is new to me, I really want to get to know the ins and outs of the whole thing, including any systemic weak points, to insure that I don't break my new toy.

That being said, I hope to be able to address at least some of those issues before November.

The WD folks stripped ALL the emissions equipment from the ‘74 before selling it. When registering, the only problem we had was because their ‘master mechanics’ stuffed the dashboard VIN UNDER the dash. Once we found that, we were good to go. They may have looked in the engine, but only for I.D. marks it appeared. So, no Cars & Coffee for us?
I wouldn’t worry about it. These guys don’t know what an old Fiat is supposed to have anyway. They go after low hanging fruit like an obvious modern swap or a blower through the hood on a 70s muscle car. Biggest target now is out of state plates that are used to evade taxes, reg. fees and smog tests on expensive gray market and exotics.

Agreed trying get a government system which is trying to hold back the inventiveness of a million budding NASCAR cheaters is why there isn’t a logical way to update an older car. The real issue is durability, yes a modified car could meet the letter of the law, once. The question is will it continue to do so day after day for years, that is the issue here. Witness the number of folks we all know who have multiple setups of carburetors, exhaust, specialized fuels and so on to meet emissions testing on that day…

What might or could happen should not be considerations when laws are made. As you have just said, people pull the same shenanigans with stock engines. Some swap whole engines in order to get a pass at the e-check, only to go home and undo it all so that they can enjoy their car in the way they want to for another year before doing it all again to pass again. This is GOING to happen, no matter what the laws are and no matter what the engine package is. If somebody wants a K swap in California, he's going to do a VIN swap, buy an early exempt car and build that, swap and re-swap, or otherwise game the system.

Governments are capable of being logical. The problem as I see it is that states like California are run by people who believe that cars are appliances, not meant to be enjoyed, but only to be used for essential transportation. They want you to believe this, too--or, short of believing it, they want you to comply and stop thinking of your car as a hobby. And they are willing to play the long game--victory through attrition. That's one cynic's view.

I wouldn’t worry about it. These guys don’t know what an old Fiat is supposed to have anyway. They go after low hanging fruit like an obvious modern swap or a blower through the hood on a 70s muscle car. Biggest target now is out of state plates that are used to evade taxes, reg. fees and smog tests on expensive gray market and exotics.
lol, yes, we’re over-run in these parts with Montana and South Dakota plates….

There's some things I want to make sure are checked out before I attempt any more long distance driving with it. Today's heat of over 100 and heavy stop and go traffic really taxed the cooling system. I talked to Tdskip about it and he had never experienced the issue before. I figure I'll add the extra fan he supplied me with, and make sure the cooling system is functioning with the modified toggle switch to kick in the fans that is installed but disconnected at the moment. Since the car is new to me, I really want to get to know the ins and outs of the whole thing, including any systemic weak points, to insure that I don't break my new toy.

That being said, I hope to be able to address at least some of those issues before November.
I've always been told that an X1/9 should not need a second fan - even on the hottest days - if the cooling system is working correctly. Have you bled the air out of the radiator yet? There's a 8mm allen head at the top of the radiator in the front trunk. If the car has sat for a long time, you don't want to put too much force on the wrench when you go to loosen it - it only needs 1/8 of a turn. After sitting for so long the radiator could be clogged too.

@Larry Tdskip texted me about this this morning and mentioned bleeding it. I will check it this week when I get a chance. Busy with work for a few days, but I've got a three day weekend coming up that I hope to get some stuff done in.

Back