Can't get my targa to latch properly.

Zona

Jase
My targa won't latch all the way on the driver's side, you can lift it up from the rear. I remember someone mentioning a way to adjust it but I can't figure out how, I've taken a bunch of pics and hopefully someone will be able to tell what's wrong with it. It should be noted that I have to lift up on the top to close the driver's door because if I don't the window catches the weather stripping .
DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg
DSC_0288.jpg
DSC_0287.jpg
DSC_0285.jpg
DSC_0286.jpg
DSC_0271.jpg
DSC_0272.jpg
DSC_0279.jpg
DSC_0280.jpg
DSC_0274.jpg
DSC_0275.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg
DSC_0278.jpg
DSC_0277.jpg
DSC_0283.jpg
DSC_0282.jpg

Common problem: Window catches

the weatherstripping. I replaced the weatherstripping on my targa and the problem still exists. I end up lowering the window a bit to avoid the fold. A P.I.T.A. for sure. Some day I might address it, but too many other things to worry about.

Not sure about the rear hook, but

are you sure it's being pulled into its hole when you latch it? You mention having to pull up the top to keep the weatherstrip from catching. Mine does this all the time. I simply run my finger down the inside of the strip to pull it back out after shutting the door. Something to check: How far up is the drivers side window going? There is a piece of rubber at the front of the door, on top of the wing window. One of your pictures show this piece. I have seen several windows misadjusted in such a way as the window breaks through the top of this rubber and actually extends too far. Under the door panel at the top is an out of round plastic piece with one screw holding it in. This is the adjuster for max window height. Can you latch the top with the windows down?

I can't help but I have the same issue on the passenger side. Rear hook doesn't catch enough, after latching I can lift that corner up. Shutting the door with glass up and targa on it crushes the weather strip "flap". Not a huge problem but I'll keep track of thread in hopes of finding a fix.

My driver's side hook is a little loose, but if I squeeze the back of the targa down to the roll bar with one hand while engaging the luggage latch with the other, the hook catches the hole and that corner can't be pulled up like your pic shows. It acts as if the top is warped or something, but the top is not the original and the old one did the same thing. I don't have any trouble with the windows catching the weatherstripping.

Front latches.

It looks like something has been put into the socket to tighten it up . There shouldn't be anything in there. The latches will snug the roof up against the long rubber seal.

last picture ..

the plate that those small screws screw into is adjustable. Replace the top piece and screw in down LOOSE it should move back and forth,,, adjust by trial and error & tighten... It may be stuck with paint. If it doesn't move,, remove again and try to pry it or tap it to get it to move ..THIS is how it i adjusted.

What Jim Young said and...

Can you take a foto of a SIDE view of the MALE counterpart(s) that fit into the rear slots.

I've seen some broken off and I'm not sure just how long yours are from the side view.

Lastly... make sure your front windshield seal and header are engaging the front edge of your top properly also. There was an old video somewhere about DEALER installation of these tops too... I'll try and find it.

Here it is... but It doesn't cover what I thought it would... enjoy anyway...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4YaATieiVU&feature=related"]YouTube- Fiat X1/9 Pre delivery Inspection Video[/ame]

Last edited:
the plate that those small screws screw into is adjustable. Replace the top piece and screw in down LOOSE it should move back and forth,,, adjust by trial and error & tighten... It may be stuck with paint. If it doesn't move,, remove again and try to pry it or tap it to get it to move ..THIS is how it i adjusted.
So, if I understand this, you can loosen the screws on the rear plates and tap them gently rearward a tad, tighten up again and they should then engage the targa hooks a bit better?

I will try that method to adjust it after I get off work. Should the stripping be hanging down on both sides in the front like it is? Seems off to me.

I will try that method to adjust it after I get off work. Should the stripping be hanging down on both sides in the front like it is? Seems off to me.
I don't think so. I just had mine all apart to paint the top and you can position that "flap" wherever you want, it's just sandwiched inbetween the rain channel metal. My tube seal, that the window pushes against when up actually just fell out of the passenger side one day. I glued them in. Just a noobie here so don't know for sure.

No, it shouldn't (the stripping, hang down).

I wonder if your inner targa seals aren't interfering - I know they make a difference as I replaced mine last year, and as a result have to push/lever the front catches in more forcefully & then press down on the rear to locate the rear catches.

Do you hold the top up on an angle to engage the front pegs before dropping the rear & pushing it down? That's what I have to do.

I want to take this opportunity to note a distinct black line around the outside edge the chrome trim on your windshield. Mine was leaking like a screen door on a submarine. There is nothing black in the edge. I presume someone pulled and replaced the windshield and left off a gasket. Am I right? I have since caulked it with silicon. Drive on.

Nothing wrong with the targa

It's your window, it rolls to high.
You have to adjust the stopper (inside the door) so the window doesn't roll up that high.
If you need more help - yell.

Hold on a minute!

He still has a problem with the targa because he states that with the doors open he still can't properly latch the roof. Windows too high is a separate problem.

Ok I adjusted the thingymabobber and it works! Latches down tight, I even adjusted it on the passenger side to make that one latch down tighter. Now I will try and tackle the window adjustment tomorrow, on top of other things...

cool, how exactly did you do it? I thought of loosening those four screws and tapping it gently, what did you do?

Back