Car cover

I have a CoverCraft

A few years back the Covercraft made a custom fit cover for the X with mirror pockets for the late model thru-the-glass style mirrors. It was discussed in this thread. The only place I can find it right now is on Amazon and it is about $400. I think I paid a lot less than that.

IMG_0639.jpg

I used this cover at the 2014 FFO in Chicago where it rained a lot. It is truly water proof.

I went to the Covercraft website and you can still order a custom cover, but it says "without mirror pockets" (item CA24PG) and there is no option to add them. It is $327. If you call the sales line you might be able to ask for the pockets if you want them.

Of course, there are boat loads of non-custom car covers out there for a lot less money. I am sure folks here with all varieties will weigh in.

X Car Cover

Good question. I had a post about this last year:

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/23584/

I was pretty high on the cover I bought but since then, less so. It didn't last long before I had to return/exchange it for another (which is also in the process of not lasting long). The return was a hassle - lots of call and emails and then, had to pay to ship it back.

It was a 17 layer "outdoor" cover. The "layers" are bogus. NO matter what they say, the covers are only a couple of three layers at most - outside waterproof, inside soft fabric, maybe a layer in between.

I have also purchased two (one for an X and for my NSX) indoor covers - more of a dust cover really. It's ok for light outside use but not heavy rain. These were much less expensive and so far, have done their job well. I believe I paid $5.99 + $12 shipping for the X version on eBay from "Leader Accessories". When you first get it, you can't believe it will actually stretch fit the car, but it does!

Hope this helps.

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
You get what you pay for. (eBay mostly = junk covers)

Covercraft still has the best quality especially if you are garaged challenged.

I call the COVERCRAFT OUTLET STORE direct in California.
Past 10 years using the WeatherShield HP material covers (Grey).
You can order any of the cover materials they sell and just give them the X1/9 cut code # C10056PG.
(this has the side mirror pockets that helps you in the wind) :thumbsup:
You have to call and speak to a human. Just don't go by the website.

Not cheap about $300 for the WS material but I get a solid 3 years through the winter before they stop beading & being really water repellent.

Someone recommended the BUDGE (brand) covers so I tried the waterproof one and it only held up 1 winter in New England then it started shedding a powder fiber from the cover so I regretted big-time buying it.
In Texas though the Budge might be Ok.

Amazon Prime

Has it for $ 206, definitely a better price.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001U90VAY/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1449109288&sr=1-1&keywords=C10056PG&condition=new"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001U90VAY/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1449109288&sr=1-1&keywords=C10056PG&condition=new[/ame]

???

That link does not work (for me) and upon searching Amazon's site I cannot find a covercraft cover as described. Wah!

Good eye Jim and try this link.
THAT is a screaming deal including shipping!

Btw if you scroll down below it lists the exact cut # for the X1/9 mirror pockets..:thumbsup:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U90VAY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com: Covercraft Custom Fit WeatherShield HP Series Car Cover, Gray: Automotive[/ame]

???

Well that link works, thank you, but no where no how do I see a place to specify a model/car or what not. Not with the full price seller or the $209 seller.

Well that link works, thank you, but no where no how do I see a place to specify a model/car or what not. Not with the full price seller or the $209 seller.

Once you go to the link scroll down below.
It says : Manufacturer Part Number C10056PG
So no need to specify a model/car you're already at the proper link.

That IS for the X1/9. (Just look above at the photo I posted from the box)
Now if you have a PRIME account click on the $209.93 put it in your cart. (scroll below again & you'll see the same Part number for the X1/9)

Looks like they also list it sadly as Discontinued by manufacturer : YES.

Maybe that's why the discount...

And for that special price you can ONLY get it in the Grey color using the WeatherShield HP material. (that's the one I always bought anyway)
Peace of mind the seller is Amazon.

Kathy, over the past 36 years I have tried almost...

every kind of car cover there is and here are my observations.

1. If not garaged, a car cover is a must, and I used one on my daily drivers as well when parked at work.

2. Every type has their attributes and drawbacks... and it also depends on where you keep your car and what you are primarily trying to protect it from.

3. Most everything and every option has been discussed here with the exception of possibly one thing, condensation... especially when using a "breathable" waterproof cover. I would find moisture trapped under it... and as Greg said... many start to decompose from the inside-out, and it makes a mess on the car as well as when you try to pack it away. Its not just wet, its dirty from the decomposition.

4. Covercraft has been in business for as long as I can remember and makes probably one of the best products available for money we can stretch to afford on our cars. I remember phoning them a 100 years ago for a bra and a man answered, shuffled around a bit and then said... "I have one right here in my hand..." pulled it out of the box and described it to me. Great folks, give them a call. HTH!

Good info Tony. You've all heard me whine about mice and may remember that the Queen is surrounded by Decon and Bar Bait with Fresh Cab in her engine compartment, cab, trunks and glove box.
I believe that a cover attracts mice, so if you live where mice are prevalent, beware.

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got it, thanks. I've also tried a variety of covers, will be interesting to see how well this one stands up to the elements over the years.

I got mine at Walmart and it works fine....

I know! I know! But the small car cover worked out fine for my X!

She deserves the best and is very spoiled. But I still had to let her know who the boss is!

LOL!!!

(I does work very well)

That's what's great about the Weathershield HP material..never a condensation issue. And never trapped moisture.

Darkness does attract rodents so you have to periodically remove it.
Just use common sense. The Bottom-edge elastic holds the cover tight so easy on..easy off.

I know of what I speak..
In fact such a deal I'll be the guinea pig..:sun:

My order is in.

Order Summary

Items: $209.93
Shipping & handling: $0.00

Total before tax: $209.93
Estimated tax to be collected: $13.33
Order total: $223.26

That's what's great about the Weathershield HP material..never a condensation issue. And never trapped moisture.

Darkness does attract rodents so you have to periodically remove it.
Just use common sense. The Bottom-edge elastic holds the cover tight so easy on..easy off.

I know of what I speak..
In fact such a deal I'll be the guinea pig..:sun:

My order is in.

Order Summary

Items: $209.93
Shipping & handling: $0.00

Total before tax: $209.93
Estimated tax to be collected: $13.33
Order total: $223.26
Where did you get it?

Where did you get it?

Amazon Prime. I have a Prime account. Well worth it to get the Prime in my opinion it has been great to me.

Here is the link again. Click on the the $209.93 on the Right side lower corner with the seller who is Amazon. Add it to your cart.
That's all you need to do and pay.
If you don't have a Prime account I think you can get a Free trial period for a month then it's 99.99 for the year charged to your CC. (or you can cancel it)

Free shipping with Christmas gifts make it a no brainer to me..:)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U90VAY/"]Amazon.com: Covercraft Custom Fit WeatherShield HP Series Car Cover, Gray: Automotive[/ame]

Thanks Jim & Greg

I just ordered it from Amazon (to finally replace the one I bought in 2010 which started the first thread) for $218 without needing to use or signup for a Prime Account. For anyone else clicking on the link Greg gave us, I had to click on the "3 New from $..." link to find the Amazon price.

To reopen this thread - I'm looking for an indoor stretch cover that isn't huge.

I'd order one of these, but they are quite expensive to ship into Canada (about $300 for shipping alone as these are made in Holland if I'm not mistaken - they look good though!)

Are there any North American suppliers that sell a stretch cover like this?

Thanks!

1707830875210.png

Back