Cleaning out coolant passages in heads?

Finished reading through the linked article. Since it is not directly from MB, a dealer, or a authorized MB repair facility, I did more researching to help validate the procedure described. Eventually I found the 'official' MB info from the workshop manual. Basically it is the same info, with slightly more detail and a little more dealer oriented regarding use of special tools, etc. I also found some added info from a MB factory rep that was questioned about the use of the procedure for non-diesel engines, what conditions it is intended for, etc.

Basically the MB citrus cooling system flush product is "citric acid powder". Based on my understanding of chemistry, there isn't a lot of difference in citric acids for something like this. If we were talking health care related use there would be long debates on the choice of product. But this application is not for human consumption so it really doesn't matter, any citric acid powder will work. The difference is what concentration (dilution) you mix it to. But I doubt you would need to spend the $50-60 MB wants for the official stuff. You can get generic, basic, industrial grade stuff cheap. The official MB dilution is a 10% solution. The size of the cooling system will dictate just how much powder that requires. But assuming you get 100% citric powder (not a mix of other elements), then a 1 pound bag will work for most vehicles (although the X has long connecting pipes, etc, its radiator is small, so about the same as a typical passenger car?). For general info on citric acid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid

MB specifies this is intended to remove rust, scale and corrosion. For removing other residues (oils, etc, as when a head gasket blows) they recommend a alkaline cleaner at 3% solution. That is what the linked article used a laundry cleaning product for. MB sells a specific product for this as well. However it is not widely available and I haven't found much info on it yet. I'll have to do more research to see if the "Shout" is as effective.

One slight difference in the link, for the citric solution the MB manual says to run the engine at operating temperature for 15 minutes (rather than 10 minutes). However the MB expert cautions to avoid running it for too long as damage may result (e.g. freeze plugs come loose after excessive use). He also says it can be used for any engine, not just diesels, that need corrosion removal. Likewise the alkaline solution is intended only for oily film removal (10 minute flush time), so the two are not necessarily used in combination all the time. But for an old engine (especially with little knowledge of its service history) I think it would be best to do both, as the link states. In general terms this follows the earlier discussion about using a base and a acid for a complete cleaning process (as @Kendall said).

I have a good friend that is a factory MB tech with decades of experience. And he is very outspoken in his opinions about all things MB service. So I'll reach out to him and see what his take is on this. But it seems to be a safe method for a cooling system flush. It is similar to the use of oxalic acid for the same procedure. That has been a staple component for flushes for decades; mild acid, safe, fairly effective, affordable, relatively easy. It will be interesting to see how well the citric approach works, and how it compares to oxalic.

Thanks again to @Kendall for bringing this up.

EDIT: I forgot to mention another item that differs in the official procedure from the linked article. After using the citric acid solution, MB has a neutralizer product (a "silica element") that is placed in the system. I think a very thorough flush with water will suffice. However I feel the length of time needed to do that will be longer than the linked article states. In another document it is recommended to flush a system with water for 40 minutes after each chemical solution is used. That's a long time. But it might put things into a better perspective of what's needed to completely remove and neutralize the acid flush agent. I suppose you could also make a baking soda solution and run it through the system after using the acid. Then flush again with water. That's what I do when performing a oxalic flush.

EDIT #2: I've noticed the actual MB product (1.1 lb) can be found for less than $15, or as much as $50. I'm also seeing plain citric acid powder for about $2 a pound.

Last edited:
You keep answering all your own questions! The reason given for using shout as opposed to dish soap is because it does not foam.
Thinking about it now maybe I'm incorrect. All the alkaline chemicals we use at my work state not to use them on aluminum. Maybe it's a warning because they aren't as harmful to steel and other materials, but they will corrode aluminum.

True, I tend to add info as I find more and often answer my own questions in the process.

I honestly don't know how a alkaline or other agents compare with respect to aluminum. Both a strong base or strong acid will dissolve it eventually. But if one is safer than the other in lesser dilutions I don't know. That's been a concern of mine throughout this experimental process.

The earlier reference I made to dish soap was intended to differentiate between those made for hand washing of dishes (foams up a lot) and machine washing of dishes (does not foam). But the question I have about Shout, dishwasher soap, or any commercial cleaning product is how they compare chemically to the alkaline stuff MB sells specifically for cooling system cleaning. I did not find much info on the official alkaline MB product (yet).

Last edited:
I should have some T'stat housings with some build up in them. I can drop one of them in my can of carb dip and let it sit overnight. I'll take some before and after pics to show how it worked (or didn't work)
If it works I suggest plugging the ports on top of the head, place the head with the gasket surface facing up and fill the water passages only. That way it shouldn't affect the guides or seats.
Worth a try?

I suggest plugging the ports on top of the head, place the head with the gasket surface facing up and fill the water passages only.
Gene, I've considered plugging all the openings so I could fill the passages with a caustic agent and not harm the more sensitive parts. But when I looked at it, there is a lot to block off. And some of it doesn't seem like it could be sealed very easily, or effectively. I haven't tried but my instinct tells me it will just make a big mess and risk doing some accidental damage to those vital components anyway. I tend to think it would be better to wait until the engine is assembled and running so a cleaning agent can be circulated through the entire system under normal conditions. Plus that will clean both the head and the block - which also needs it. But that also limits the types of cleaning agents that can be used somewhat, so it's a compromise (like everything in life).

The above comment is why things like the MB citrus cleaner sound inviting, if they actually work. This morning I received a reply from my friend, the highly experienced MB tech. Surprisingly he has never used the MB citrus cleaner, but he has used the MB alkaline cleaner many times. Apparently MB recommends the alkaline treatment after any head gasket issues and therefore they will pay for it under the warranty. But they will not cover the citric treatment because that is considered normal maintenance. So the techs didn't do it. So he was no real help on how well it works unfortunately. I've found mixed reviews online, which is typical of anything online, so that's not a lot of help either. My gut instinct is a citrus cleaning process will be about as effective as a few other similar flushing treatments, such as the oxalic acid method I discussed previously. That's to say it will offer a decent cleaning of a normal system but not necessarily remove a badly corroded/highly neglected system.

Something to think about if you plan to do the cleaning with a running engine...the rad has pretty small passages in it. It can easily get plugged up with any chunks that get dislodged - especially rust chunks off of the coolant tubes. Maybe best done with an old used rad?

I understand running a cleaning solution through a currently operating engine that for some reason needs a cooling system flush.
However, I have a problem running a flush in a freshly built engine. There's no way of knowing where the "junk" is going and if you will ever get it out of the engine. As mentioned above the radiator may be where it ends up.
I prefer to assemble clean parts and know that the cooling system will work before I start using the engine, not afterward.
Anyway, not my problem at the moment but I am able to do the test that I proposed earlier.
I already have the carb dip (not just spray cleaner) and I'm sure I can find some cooling system bits to do the test on.
I'll see how it comes out and report, good or bad.

Something to think about if you plan to do the cleaning with a running engine...the rad has pretty small passages in it. It can easily get plugged up with any chunks that get dislodged - especially rust chunks off of the coolant tubes. Maybe best done with an old used rad?
I understand running a cleaning solution through a currently operating engine that for some reason needs a cooling system flush.
However, I have a problem running a flush in a freshly built engine. There's no way of knowing where the "junk" is going and if you will ever get it out of the engine. As mentioned above the radiator may be where it ends up.
I prefer to assemble clean parts and know that the cooling system will work before I start using the engine, not afterward.
Anyway, not my problem at the moment but I am able to do the test that I proposed earlier.
I already have the carb dip (not just spray cleaner) and I'm sure I can find some cooling system bits to do the test on.
I'll see how it comes out and report, good or bad.
I agree with both of you. I have a old radiator that could be used for this. But then I suppose the question is if that old radiator will deposit more crud into the rest of the system. There are 'inline' cooling system filters that could be used while flushing. But that's an added expense and complexity. I think it might come down to how bad the engine's cooling jackets are fouled. For example mine have rusty looking walls, a bit of loose tiny flakes, mostly red dust (there might be more where you can't see). Even this much might be enough to gum up the works. Or perhaps the flushing agent will dissolve the stuff so all of it flushes out after. That would be ideal, to dissolve it rather than just loosen it.

Going back to earlier posts in this thread you will recall that I found out machine shops do not even bother to clean coolant passages on engines they rebuild (now that hot tanks are illegal). The engine parts are run through those huge "dishwasher" machines but that does nothing to clean out the coolant passages. Some shops say one option is to "cook" the block at very high temperatures to burn out the scale. But that must be followed up with shot blasting of the passages (which itself can clog things). And other shops say it damages the block. I would not want that done. However these process are only for cast iron, so not for our heads anyway.

But that is what leads me to think it isn't worth trying to do too much, since professional shops don't do anything to clean the passages. I've already removed all of it that can be seen and reached with soda blasting/burs/brushes/scrapers/etc. And I've flushed it with several "test" agents and a pressure washer and compressed air. So I don't think there is too much left. The block is more difficult to clean than the head is. That's why I'm tempted to build a hot tank and try the old fashioned type caustic cleaning on it. But one major problem; I don't want to replace the bushings for the aux shaft and oil pump drive. So a hot tank may not be a good idea for the block either.

If I were to go through the process of sealing off the passages (head and/or block) and fill them with a cleaner, I think I'd use a mild phosphoric acid solution. It is similar to a VERY weak muriatic acid solution in that it will eat the rust and scale. Naturally it will also eat the aluminum if you allow it to. So time, temperature, dilution ratio, etc, are all important. But it will completely get rid of the stuff rather than just move it around. Done right it will not harm the aluminum. But maybe sometimes less is more, and too much is damaging.

I was trying to clean up my garage and I found this T'stat housing. I put it in the carb dip about 3PM. I'll pull it out somtime tomorrow, maybe 12 and post some pics.
Might be worth something, might not, didn't cost anything to drop it into the can.
20210102_135749.jpg
20210102_135741.jpg

Pulled the T'stat housing from the carb dip.
Inside looks better, old gasket bits and mud dauber remains still in place. It removed a lot of corrosion in and out.
20210103_121911.jpg
20210103_121658.jpg
20210103_121641.jpg

In dip for 21 hours.

I shrunk the pics to place the "before" and "after" items side-by-side. Tell me if I got it right, or if they are too small now:

Befores are on the left....
before1.jpg
after1.jpg

before2.jpg
after2.jpg

Definitely an improvement. Off the top of my head this seems roughly similar to a couple of the better cleaning processes I tried previously. While things were certainly better after treatment, I was hoping for something with a much greater effect.

But carb cleaner is an option (I bet if the old school kind of carb cleaner was still available it would work a lot better). As has been said, I think the general results might depend upon the particular substrate (type of metal the part is made from), the nature of the deposits, and the severity of the buildup.

This test brings up a question. Honestly I can't remember, have we tested using one of the "safe" rust remover products yet? I should know, but I've been trying lots of things and without reviewing this whole thread I can't remember now.
I recall one of those rust product makers told me it will work for this. But his logic seemed a bit flawed to me. He admitted the product does not remove these types of deposits (as found in cooling jackets) per se. But he feels the deposits are typically sitting on top of rust. And as the rust remover eliminates the rust, it will take the other deposits with it. However I tend to disagree with just about all of his statement. So I might not have tried it yet.
I have a gallon of a rust remover soak product; not enough to do a head - which is what this thread is all about - and certainly not enough for a block. But enough for a smaller part like was done here. However I also wonder just how similar the buildup is on a T-stat cover vs inside the head's jackets?

I shrunk the pics to place the "before" and "after" items side-by-side. Tell me if I got it right, or if they are too small now:

Befores are on the left....
View attachment 40832View attachment 40833
View attachment 40834View attachment 40835

Definitely an improvement. Off the top of my head this seems roughly similar to a couple of the better cleaning processes I tried previously. While things were certainly better after treatment, I was hoping for something with a much greater effect.

But carb cleaner is an option (I bet if the old school kind of carb cleaner was still available it would work a lot better). As has been said, I think the general results might depend upon the particular substrate (type of metal the part is made from), the nature of the deposits, and the severity of the buildup.

This test brings up a question. Honestly I can't remember, have we tested using one of the "safe" rust remover products yet? I should know, but I've been trying lots of things and without reviewing this whole thread I can't remember now.
I recall one of those rust product makers told me it will work for this. But his logic seemed a bit flawed to me. He admitted the product does not remove these types of deposits (as found in cooling jackets) per se. But he feels the deposits are typically sitting on top of rust. And as the rust remover eliminates the rust, it will take the other deposits with it. However I tend to disagree with just about all of his statement. So I might not have tried it yet.
I have a gallon of a rust remover soak product; not enough to do a head - which is what this thread is all about - and certainly not enough for a block. But enough for a smaller part like was done here. However I also wonder just how similar the buildup is on a T-stat cover vs inside the head's jackets?

On my phone your "before" are on top.

This is not carb "cleaner", it's a gallon can of carb dip. About $30. But if you meant that carb dip is not as strong as it used to be then I agree. It smells the same, but it appears to be a weaker solution than we used to get. (They still recommend chemical gloves and a face shield)
Also, some agitation might help, not really sure about that.

The deposits here look like the ones in the cylinder heads that I have. There may be a difference where the head gets more heat.

I used a flashlight on one of the pics, gives a better view, I don't think discoloration of the aluminum is a problem. You can read the part number if you enlarge the picture.

T'stat is back in the can for another day.

This is not carb "cleaner", it's a gallon can of carb dip. About $30. But if you meant that carb dip is not as strong as it used to be then I agree. It smells the same, but it appears to be a weaker solution than we used to get.
I was referring to carb dip as carb cleaner (e.g. Berrymans brand). It changed chemistry significantly several years ago for environmental reasons. And definitely not nearly as effective.

Also, some agitation might help, not really sure about that.
I asked the manufacturer about using it in a ultrasound cleaning machine. They recommended not to because the agitation increases the evaporation rate. Apparently they even add a chemical that is lighter than the cleaning solution (so it rises to the top) and is less prone to evaporation than the actual cleaning solution. That is intended to reduce the evaporation rate of the primary product. I guess the stuff they use evaporates quickly. But I tried it in the ultrasound anyway - since when do I listen to advice? Seemed to do about the same level of cleaning, just faster compared to letting it soak.

The deposits here look like the ones in the cylinder heads that I have. There may be a difference where the head gets more heat.
I don't know if there is any difference, but just threw that thought out. I know mine look worse inside the head's passages than on the T-stat housing.

I don't think discoloration of the aluminum is a problem.
Good point, it might even help to brighten it a little? The old formula did, but the newer stuff doesn't as much. In fact I've found the newer dip sometimes leaves a film on the parts that can be a little difficult to remove. But it should make it look better in most cases.

In the past I just handed my cylinder heads to a 'head-shop' machine shop and according to $ expended had it back in top condition. Cleaned, scaled, surfaced and ported and polished if I was able to afford it. I must admit have not have had to clean a cylinder head for a while. The move discussion of different chemical cleaning bath agents is interesting. Trial and error I would assume. Alkaline or acidic ? Caustic Soda solution or acid bath. Even CLR sounds great. Cleans oxidised metal well. Then collect and dispose responsibly.
As I have been taking bits of my FIAT X 1/9 I have been bathing them in Degrezo prior to having them sand-blasted or bead blasted. In some cases look for new replacement from MWB or elsewhere. One part Removed from the cylinder head of my Australian 1500 FIAT X 1/9 with Carburettor has me baffled. Here is what it looks like. Its a check valve for something. Plumbed to cylinder head with half burned rubber hose to my second air filter opening I guess. Have looked for same on MWB web site and others, but could not find the part. I will have to clean it in a bath of cleaner and possibly bead blasted if it doesn't clean up. Would the hose connection be to my original air cleaner which has two tube intakes for hoses. The other is from the cyclonic trap.

Attachments

• Check valve ?? .jpg
    Check valve ?? .jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 64
The t'stat is still in the can of carb dip. I forgot to pull it out. I'll check tomorrow morning and see what happened, or see what's left...

I have a bottle of Liquid Fire drain cleaner, this must be one of the most dangerous cleaners that you can walk into a store and buy. I thought about trying it on the t'stat but I think it's too dangerous. I poured a spoonful on an oak tree stump and it turned brown and smoked. It's Sulfuric Acid.

I'll post some more pics tomorrow.

The t'stat is still in the can of carb dip. I forgot to pull it out. I'll check tomorrow morning and see what happened, or see what's left...

I have a bottle of Liquid Fire drain cleaner, this must be one of the most dangerous cleaners that you can walk into a store and buy. I thought about trying it on the t'stat but I think it's too dangerous. I poured a spoonful on an oak tree stump and it turned brown and smoked. It's Sulfuric Acid.

I'll post some more pics tomorrow.
Some time back I had a girlfriend call me and say, "come fix my plumbing". Naturally I rushed over thinking....well you know.
Turns out she really had a clogged sink drain. :confused: Not wanting to put out any undue effort (for either job), I went to WalMart to get some liquid drain cleaner. I was shocked to find you can still buy things like lye based drain cleaners! If you look at the labels, some of the 'shat' they sell is very toxic and highly volatile. How is that possible when we can't buy a decent parts cleaning agent?

Oh, and in case you are wondering, that wasn't the only plumbing I fixed that night. o_O

All kidding aside, the lye drain cleaner is likely what I'd use in the DIY "hot tank" if I ever get to that point.

T'stat final installment:
After another day (or 2) I took the t'stat out of the dip again. Pics show part number a little clearer. There is some sediment in the corner of the outlet (oops, inlet) that must be additional cleaning over the last couple of days that settled on a low point.
20210105_162356.jpg
20210105_162347.jpg

Last edited:
Back