Concours level X

Define Concours level.....

Some people have different views of what concours level is.... Are We talking bone stock or resto-mod?

Arman

well

A true concourse the car has to be just as it came from the factory or auto maker no mod's what so ever.
my brother used to own a 86 Porsche 944 turbo He belonged to the Chicago chapter of the Porsche club and concoursed his car with the club now they too have the rule car must be stock no mods if it had mods you would lose points they also had different levels the lowest level judged only the outside of the car the next level judged the inside and out side and then it just get more parts of the car added as the levels go up the top level Judges every part of the car top to bottom in and out they have a vary specific list of things to look for the bottom level mite be like 3 pages the top is 7 or 8 pages long.
so the problem I see is that anyone with a clean enough car for a true concourse car has too many mods to be considered a true concourse car.

I've been thinking of doing one

I've been thinking of doing a stock restoration for a comparison to my modified X, but I've been wondering a few things....

1) does paint have to be what came from the factory on that car, or just a factory paint code for that year?

2) if it came with vinyl seats and are upgraded to leather or cloth, would that be considered a point deduction?

If I'm going as far as a complete strip down paint and rebuild, do I go with a modern paint color and fabrics, or stick with the original equipment?

I've never been to a concourse show, so my questions are many.

I would

say it depends on that particular concours rules find out what the rules are for the concours you are going to attend.like Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance is going to have much more stringent rules compared to say my home towns Geneva Concours d'Elegance Some concourses are by invite only.

... and I agree with RacerX...

"Bloomington Gold" and "NCRS" are two judging bodies for Corvettes that some folks adhere to like the Bible and the Ten Commandments...

There MAY be something for an X1/9 or Fiats in general but I've not heard of anything.

Additionally, the event you may be entering may have it's own criteria.

All this falls under a category of what OTHERS think that I do not necessarily subscribe to... but yur most welcome to have your fun!

HA!

If you get into high end cars...

....you need to have proper bolts turned to specific angles and have the appropriate color of paint dotted in areas where markings were made at factories. Some of the Mercedes and Porsche concours are extremely tough.

1) does paint have to be what came from the factory on that car, or just a factory paint code for that year?

2) if it came with vinyl seats and are upgraded to leather or cloth, would that be considered a point deduction?

Would depend on the event, but in a true concours...

1) Original paint in good condition would give the highest points... Any new paint should be of the same type... ex: you wouldn't want to do a base/clearcoat on a car that originally came with a single-stage lacquer.

2) yes an interior upgrade from how it came stock would get dinged for points...

Originality is critieria number one...

Hi
I agree depends on the rules that you are entering under. Only ever been to one x'y type concourse event for the 30th with UK club but wasn't too serious.
I have been to a few Ferrari concourses and used to enter my 308GT4 for fun. Got me the best parking and lots of people to look after my car! However some of these people need a life! One guy told me unless I had preped my car for 6 months I was wasting my time and whilst he cleaned his car with cottonbuds he wasn't anal about it!
I reckon i have a concourse standard x'y. some non original features eg 1500 mirrors; non std wheel; leather trim but i bought it because she was truly beutiful! In the lambo club we have the right attitude:- if you spend all day cleaning it and not driving it you should buy a ferrari!
Paul
xx

I would love to see it...

Please post photos of your X'y as I would love to see what Councourse quality looks like. If you already have posted photos that I'm sorry I haven't seen them yet.

'PeteX1/9

Two 1974's

It's up to you if these qualify or not. Mine is the Blue one and the green one belongs to Dan Naze. Each is a little non-standard in their own way. I'm quite a purist but even I drew the line at some point.

BTW Pete, I have a friend that lives in Kingston and he called me last month because he said there was a red X1/9 parked on a street in downtown Kingston. It must have been your car.

valentetrain.jpg

reddoor.jpg

dsc04023u.jpg

dsc04029q.jpg

You are all sick of seeing this one by now...
valentewire.jpg

Dan's car
dsc03280e.jpg

dsc03286b.jpg

dsc03287m.jpg

pics of my car are on a separate thread 1300 lido. It is concourse quality but has had a bucket of money thrown at it by the previous owner

This is one of the things I like...

...most about X ownership. There isn't the posturing, the up turned noses and the arrogance that many marque's ownership groups tend to have. We are encouraged to make our cars into what we feel looks right. Now, occasionally we may snicker at what someone has created, but there is an overall acceptance of personalization with our clan.:thumbsup:

What kind of mirror is that?

I love both of those cars. Blue is my favorite, but that green on any 1970's Italian car is awesome.

Mirror

What kind of mirror is that?

I love both of those cars. Blue is my favorite, but that green on any 1970's Italian car is awesome.

Dan's car has the original mirror. They were that sort of color too. I couldn't bring myself to drill the holes in my door to put mine on :hypno: Part numbers below.
Oh, thanks for the compliments! :thumbsup:
dsc03873f.jpg

dsc03875l.jpg

Back