Concours level X

True

... and anything else ISN'T!

But both do indeed have like values... or not...

I tried to make everything I did reversible. Like I have a set of steel rims with the correct center caps and I have all the emission stuff (restored and ready to bolt on) and a new OEM exhaust. So I could put it back to be 100% stock appearing if I wanted to...I just don't want to :).
I haven't found anyone that really treasured originality on an X1/9 all that much. Damon Kane is probably the biggest purists I know. Every mod I did I wondered what would Damon think (WWDT?). When he came to visit me in '03 when the car finally got finished, I think he was pleased with the comprises I made...or at least he was far too gracious to say otherwise :lol:

Some more pictures of Dan's car....
dsc03284w.jpg

dsc03283s.jpg

dsc03288w.jpg

I don't really have any pictures of my interior so I got these off Karl Mead's Photobucket page and I'll throw in a shot of my engine bay:
2007FLUFreakout-035.jpg

2007FLUFreakout-034.jpg

2007FLUFreakout-033.jpg

dsc02522.jpg

How many members have a concours level X1/9?

I have shown almost all of my Fiats in a judged concours at one time or another... Sometimes just to do it with no chance of winning, & other times with that goal, & even sometimes succeeding!

And because I encourage other Fiat owners to show their cars when they can, that means almost every one of us has a concours level car...

And this can be interpreted many ways... I showed two cars Saturday morning at a hot rod show (One 500 Jolly, one 600 Jolly), showed & raced my 128 on Saturday afternoon, & showed my beater X in the parking lot at a House of Floyd concert Saturday night. That makes four different cars in three different shows in one day?

I know, I probably missed the point... But I had a hell of a good time, and THAT IS the point!

So the answer to my original thread question is 3 members have a concours X1/9. One in Scotland and 2 in the U.S. That means that concours level Xs are rare and should demand more money if sold.

Not necessarily

So the answer to my original thread question is 3 members have a concours X1/9. One in Scotland and 2 in the U.S. That means that concours level Xs are rare and should demand more money if sold.

It also means that the demand is low. If only three people want one, and they already have one and don't want another, there's no one left to pay a premium for the fourth. Now, if a bunch of people had responded to your original thread question with something along the lines of "I don't, but I've always wanted one and if I ever see the right one come by...." it would be a different story.

??????????????????:mallet::mallet::mallet::mallet:.I still don`t know whats your point in this thread.But only 3 cars in the world is not a real number,never by far.This is only one of many X1/9 forums in the world so you should not come to that conclusion.You really need to start searching the web to see all the excellent examples spreaded all over the world.

That means that concours level Xs are rare and should demand more money if sold.

I think it would be safe to say that concours level Xs (using the traditional definition) are rare... probably just as rare as any other car model where the newest examples are 25 years old.

However, the question of demanding (and getting) more money for one is a different matter. In my experience hanging around X owners and reading this particular forum, originality is not a high priority in X world. In fact, most owners have no problem modifying their cars to improve reliability, performance or simply for the bling factor.... ...I don't get the impression that a potential X owner would be willing to pay a significantly higher price for an original car, knowing full well that they're just going to modify it as soon as they get it home...

A concours car would be a bad car.

Think about it...
Electrically, it'd be a nightmare.

I still consider mine concours, even though "technically" it's not.
I've withheld a standard of no cutting, (wires) no drilling with all improvements either plug-in or bold-on.
So technically, I could easily go back to concours if:
I removed my CD-30 wheels and put the trons back on,
unplugged all my "insertable" electrical improvements,
and pull all my LED's back to the gawd-awefull incandescent bulbs.
Oh, and changed my brightened faceplate and oil pressure /digital volt gauge back to the original,
and pull my SS tank back my plastic radiator reservoir,
and remove my SS brake lines with the flexible rubber,
And replace all my SS fuel lines back to the original cloth-covered beauties,
and remove my plaia pivots / plates / AIP strut assemblies / drilled Brembo rotors,
and exchange the electric antenna with the high-class manual pull antenna,
and replace my auto-dimming compass mirror with the high-class Fiat one,
and remove my custom steering wheel with the classy looking original,
and on and on.. :bla::bla::bla:

Yeah, sure, the concourso X is definitely worth more... :mallet::mallet::mallet:

Anyone need some parts? Ha!

Most "Concours" cars are garage queens, not really drive and for show.

Note the Concours level cars at car shows that are rolled out from their trailer with car covers, tire covers and other various covers..

This is a different kind of car owner, car interest and car enjoyment. Remember the NOS x1/9s that were complete with delivery window sticker that was on evilbay not too long ago? That is a time capsule and a concours kind of car.

This is not for me, but what other car folks endevor into..

Bernice

Think about it...
Electrically, it'd be a nightmare.

I still consider mine concours, even though "technically" it's not.
I've withheld a standard of no cutting, (wires) no drilling with all improvements either plug-in or bold-on.
So technically, I could easily go back to concours if:
I removed my CD-30 wheels and put the trons back on,
unplugged all my "insertable" electrical improvements,
and pull all my LED's back to the gawd-awefull incandescent bulbs.
Oh, and changed my brightened faceplate and oil pressure /digital volt gauge back to the original,
and pull my SS tank back my plastic radiator reservoir,
and remove my SS brake lines with the flexible rubber,
And replace all my SS fuel lines back to the original cloth-covered beauties,
and remove my plaia pivots / plates / AIP strut assemblies / drilled Brembo rotors,
and exchange the electric antenna with the high-class manual pull antenna,
and replace my auto-dimming compass mirror with the high-class Fiat one,
and remove my custom steering wheel with the classy looking original,
and on and on.. :bla::bla::bla:

Yeah, sure, the concourso X is definitely worth more... :mallet::mallet::mallet:

Anyone need some parts? Ha!

It still boils down to whatever someone...

IS willing to pay and how badly they want that certain X. Then the sky is the limit.

Still to my knowledge the highest amount recently was that 1978 special edition which was mostly all original and sold by the original owner was purchased for $8500!

It did come with a Saratoga top... so that value alone worth at least $1000 :)

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/5069/

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/5745/

My mindset has changed over the years as you get older just enjoy the ride and keep them nice.When it's all said and done... We can't take them with us now :huh2:

That means that concours level Xs are rare and should demand more money if sold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Car show cars...

This whole thing to me is interesting. I have won five 1st place awards at the Fiat Freak Outs over the years and a few years back decided that it would be more fun driving my X than showing it. I then did what I could to NOT enter the show (for judging). I would rather drive my car to the event, park it on the field and then drive it on the organized drive later on. I do not see the fun in trailering a car to a show and worrying about if that painted bolt will cause you to loose points or not. Some people enjoy that, I do not. My greatest goal would be to wear out my X1/9 twice. Isn't driving these cars what it is all about?

For the record, Paul's X1/9 is by far the nicest original example I have seen. That car sets the standard of what an original style X1/9 should look like. Beautiful!

Agreed!

like Jay Leno

"No car or bike in Leno's collection is a museum piece; he drives everything and nearly everything runs at all times. Blessed with an assigned parking space at NBC Studios, Leno takes a different vehicle to work every day."

Odie

This whole thing to me is interesting. I have won five 1st place awards at the Fiat Freak Outs over the years and a few years back decided that it would be more fun driving my X than showing it. I then did what I could to NOT enter the show (for judging). I would rather drive my car to the event, park it on the field and then drive it on the organized drive later on. I do not see the fun in trailering a car to a show and worrying about if that painted bolt will cause you to loose points or not. Some people enjoy that, I do not. My greatest goal would be to wear out my X1/9 twice. Isn't driving these cars what it is all about?

For the record, Paul's X1/9 is by far the nicest original example I have seen. That car sets the standard of what an original style X1/9 should look like. Beautiful!

Wow, thanks Brett! I'm honored that you think so!

As far as the show thing; it's not that I enjoy competing for a trophy or anything. I like showing it and talking about it because a) it's an interesting car and b) I put a lot of work into it :hammer: c) you meet other X1/9 owners.

I grew up here around Detroit and everything is cars, cars, cars! American cars usually. And, yes I do like the "correct markings on the fasteners", numbers matching, stuff which you will find dominates most American-marque, judged shows. It's history. It's interesting. It reflects how the cars were built, designed and manufacturing techniques of the time, etc.

There are no judged Fiat shows that I have ever been to (as you know, people's choice is different than judging) so I sort of took it upon myself to write my own, "early X1/9 originality guide" just for me, and I enjoyed it immensely! I'd look at the press-release pictures, old magazine articles, scratchy micro-fiche, dealer accessories that were available, etc. and form some sort of idea what was original and what wasn't. My car was a one owner car and was fairly original when I got it so that had some input as well.
Is what I came-up with correct? Heck, I don't know. A guy like Chris Obert would be a guy that really knew what they were like as he's worked on them from the day they showed-up in this country right up until today. So if I find a factory picture of a car with chrome license plate lights, Chirs would probably have first hand experience as to whether or not they really came here that way.
Personally, I liked the look of them with the trim on the back of the car and I have some level of documentation saying they are correct so I put chrome lights on my car. That's sort of how I did the whole thing. I didn't like the stock, plastic interior door handles but I found a press photo showing 124 coupe-like, chrome metal door handles, so I used those instead. I think Ulix also confirmed that these were used up to some point.
If there is interest in this sort of thing I can post some of my findings for early cars.

dsc04030y.jpg

2007FLUFreakout-033.jpg

Well said Paul...

I agree and it is definitely an individual preference. I guess I like the challenge of improving a car so that it drives better. I also like addressing some of the compromises that the factory made in material and design. I put the early Euro bumper on my X cause I liked it better than the later big bumper.

I guess I got a little put out when I was at an Alfa show once and heard the judges argue over the color of a piece of trim. Seemed kind of silly to me at the time. I do, however, respect the effort that goes into a proper restoration. Please do not get me wrong there.
Brett

Roger... that...

... but you shoulda been here 10 years ago...

Gilles posted a thread stating he just got back from the Bay Area where he had a choice of ONE of SIX BRAND NEW '86 X1/9s that had been stored for over 14 years.

He paid about 30% less than sticker price which was about what they sold for back in '86... and two others went up for auction at Barrett-Jackson. I believe one sold for about $15 and the other for about $9K.

Each car had about 61 miles on them...

Each was truly CONCOURS...

Gilles still has his... I believe the only mods were an upgraded cam and a lightened flywheel... but I haven't seen it in about 8 years...

Even if the cars still had 61 miles on them... I doubt they would fetch any more than what was paid 10 years ago... and you would find it difficult to find those THREE special people who would want them.

I'm not judging here... just sayin'...

Over and out...

Back