Control arm bushing removal/install

brycele

Daily Driver
I'm in the process of replacing all of the bushings on my '81 X and I'm starting with the rear control arms. I found a thread instructing to drill out the rubber portion, use a hack saw to cut the metal outer shell in two places, and lastly hammer it out. I found it a huge PITA on the first control arm but eventually got it out. Then I found a second thread, https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....bushing-with-rupunzells-tool.3407/#post-14716, about some mysterious tool that will both push out the old bushing and press in the new. Unfortunately, this is a really old thread and the pictures have vanished so I'm not even sure what this looks like or how it operates.

Is this still available for loan? Or could I take these to a machine shop and reasonably expect them to do it for me without destroying the control arms, bushings or both?

There are other threads that show how you can make an inexpensive version of the removal/installation tool yourself. Basically it uses a threaded rod to push the bushing out/in by screwing it together like a clamp. I'll see if I have a link to such a discussion, but try a little more searching in the meantime.

Alternatively, yes a machine shop can press them in/out for you and it shouldn't be too expensive.

I'm in the process of replacing all of the bushings on my '81 X and I'm starting with the rear control arms. I found a thread instructing to drill out the rubber portion, use a hack saw to cut the metal outer shell in two places, and lastly hammer it out. I found it a huge PITA on the first control arm but eventually got it out. Then I found a second thread, https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....bushing-with-rupunzells-tool.3407/#post-14716, about some mysterious tool that will both push out the old bushing and press in the new. Unfortunately, this is a really old thread and the pictures have vanished so I'm not even sure what this looks like or how it operates.

Is this still available for loan? Or could I take these to a machine shop and reasonably expect them to do it for me without destroying the control arms, bushings or both?
You can press it out/in with your bench vise if it opens wide enough! Impact sockets for the driver and spacer, you know?

Unfortunately I was not able to find any of the threads that describe how to make a tool for this. But by doing a Google search for "make a bushing installation tool" I saw lots of examples using sockets (like Chris suggested), plumbing pipe fittings, large washers, old pieces of metal tubing, large bolts, threaded rod, etc.

Here is one example I found of how it works (the same is done to either remove or install the bushing):
bushingpullsocket.png

Thanks for the suggestion but my concern is that the outer shell of these bushings is so very thin. It would probably work fine for install but not so much on removal. In order to use a socket size large enough to have any contact with the casing, it would have to be very close to the same diameter as the bushings and likely wedge itself in the bore when the old bushing has been press through. And if a smaller size is used, then it would only press against the rubber which wouldn't work very effectively.

If this can be done for a reasonable cost at a machine shop, I think I'll just go that route and be done with it.

I've just done mine, used a cheap workshop press and the appropriately sized sockets. The outer shell is quite robust.

I used a hydraulic press (at a machine shop), using sockets & whatever scrap I could find that was a snug fit. Not difficult, just a little fiddly holding the arm whilst setting up the press. As stated, the outer wall is not that flimsy. Plenty of grease on the new shell helps it go in. The trick is making sure it starts 'square' or you will bugger it.

Nah, likely English. Australians just brought it with them.

Buggered
Bugger all
Etc

There is some pictures of Bernice tools of 2012.
b0VwjuM.jpg

lNG3CmX.jpg

aJep81D.jpg

86WsgVR.jpg

Back