Crankshaft Pulley Orientation - Edited to Reflect Crank, not Cam

You flywheel maybe 180 degrees off. It doesn't matter. Everything will work fine. Try turning the engine to have the flywheel 180 degrees. Do you see the dimple now?

You flywheel maybe 180 degrees off. It doesn't matter. Everything will work fine. Try turning the engine to have the flywheel 180 degrees. Do you see the dimple now?

Sure enough, 180 degrees out.

Doesn't this matter for setting the static timing? I guess I can set to 1 when its 180 degrees, out, or 4 when it is at the pointer? And this means that the cam pulley is 180 degrees off too?

Last edited:
Welcome to the 180 club! You can static time to any cylinder as long as the distributor is correctly positioned for that cylinder....IE on the compression stroke and the rotor is pointing to the correct place on the distributor cap.

Being in the club just means you now need to mark the flywheel (make your own dimple with paint) at TDC on the compression stroke. Use the crank shaft pully markings to help find it.

Welcome to the 180 club! You can static time to any cylinder as long as the distributor is correctly positioned for that cylinder....IE on the compression stroke and the rotor is pointing to the correct place on the distributor cap.

Being in the club just means you now need to mark the flywheel (make your own dimple with paint) at TDC on the compression stroke. Use the crank shaft pully markings to help find it.
Thanks. So I understand, if I use the dimple, I still use #4.

What about the cam now? If it's two crank rotations for one cam rotation, does that mean my cam is 90 degrees off? Do I need to re-do the timing belt??

For your initial timing, you just need to get close enough that the engine will start and idle. Then you use a timing light to dial it in at 10° before TDC. Since your flywheel is 180° out, you need to hook the timing light pickup to #2 or #3 (your choice, either will work).

Back