Crankshaft Pulley Orientation - Edited to Reflect Crank, not Cam

Michael Oxman

The Journey Begins!
I am going to take the camshaft crankshaft pulley off to change the timing and all other belts. Right now it is at TDC. Is the pulley shaft notched or something so that the pulley will be in the correct orientation when you put it back on the shaft? I figured it had to be but I can't tell from the pictures I've seen. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Michael,

The cam wheel is keyed. Look at this picture and you can see a hole on left of the center of the adjustable pulley and a slot in the same location on the stock pulley. Those openings accommodate a locating pin on the cam shaft.

vicks_pulley.JPG

You can see the locating pin in the slot behind the center bolt and washer in this picture.
tbelt_after_rotated_1.JPG

Well Michael, now you are on my 💩list!!!! :D:cool:

Here is the crank shaft end all nekkid. Note the key on the bottom of the crank shaft. You can't see it once mounted as the crank nut and washer covers it up.
IM002727.JPG

One other thing to pay attention to, the crank shaft timing pointer is "floating" on a 1500. Make sure to have it tight before you remove the crank pulley.
IM002726_text.JPG

Of course, you can always use the bell housing view window to hunt for the timing dot on your flywheel to confirm TDC at the other end of the crank.
IM002985.JPG

Last edited:
Jim, you circled the wrong bolt, the upper one is not holding the plate on, you need to circle the nut that's horizontal with the crank....I think.

Jim, you circled the wrong bolt, the upper one is not holding the plate on, you need to circle the nut that's horizontal with the crank....I think.
carl,

I think you are correct, but this is a really old picture. Where were you 9 years ago when I originally posted it???

Update: OK, I redid the picture in the previous just for carl. :)

Last edited:
So new problem - I'm ready to put the timing belt on, and for some reason my cam pulley is now 180 degrees out from TDC. Do I put on the timing belt, crank the engine to line up the cam mark, then take off the belt and align the crank pulley, and then put on the belt? I am stumped how this happened. I changed the cam gasket, but I didn't think I turned the cam. Thanks!

I'm not sure you have a problem. If the cam is exactly 180º out, just put the timing belt on like you normally would. Then turn the engine through one revolution and stop at TDC. And magically, the cam pulley will be at the TDC mark as well.

I'm not sure you have a problem. If the cam is exactly 180º out, just put the timing belt on like you normally would. Then turn the engine through one revolution and stop at TDC. And magically, the cam pulley will be at the TDC mark as well.

Thanks. You were right on.

And just for the sake of completeness.... This happens because the crank turns twice for every revolution of the camshaft. That's how each cylinder can fire every other time that they reach TDC.

Also don't expect the distributor to be set right when all done. You will have to retime it.

TDC and then set to 4, right?
That's right. #1 and #4 are both at TDC, #1 is at the top of the exhaust stroke, #4 is at the top of of the compression stroke ready to fire.

Often it's easier just to remove the distributor completely, rotate the shaft until the rotor is in the right place relative to the body, then put the distributor back the way you like it.

That's right. #1 and #4 are both at TDC, #1 is at the top of the exhaust stroke, #4 is at the top of of the compression stroke ready to fire.

Often it's easier just to remove the distributor completely, rotate the shaft until the rotor is in the right place relative to the body, then put the distributor back the way you like it.
I just double checked the Static Timing guide I've been using, and it actually says to set the static timing at !0 degrees off TDC for a FI car.

https://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php/StaticTiming#Timing_Belt_Replacement_Procedure

Many of the posts I'm reading just say TDC though. Is is the 10 degree mark?

Put the marks at cam and crank marks at TDC to install the belt. Then, once the belt is properly installed, set the static timing. This static timing step is where you will turn the crank pointer at the 10 degree mark. Use a wrench with a 38mm or 1.5 inch socket to turn the crank. Don Doan put together a guide years ago. It looks pretty accurate.

Attachments

• 1500 Engine - Guide to Timing x19 Belt Replacement, Cam and Ignition Timing.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 190
I checked the window on the transmission housing and I have no "dimples." In my 1986, the right side of the raised shape matches 10 degrees when the crank pulley is set to 10 degrees. Does this look right? I've only seen pictures with dimples.

flywheel dimples line.jpg

Back