custom K20/K24 swap mounts?

papydude

Daily Driver
I bought a x1/9 for a few hundred dollars that is not running currently but otherwise is seemingly fine mechanically. The original plan was to swap it and seeing how common the Honda swaps are and how much information of cutting and spacing I figured for my first swap this may not be terribly difficult. hopefully with the help of some mechanic friends with a lot more experience it should be easy to remove the engine and swap it.

I saw that Midwest Bayless has a kit for the mounts and subframe however $3,700 is out of my budget. I was wondering if people have fabricated their own mounts for the K20 and couldn't find anything super helpful here or anywhere else I searched online. This is a effort to get the car out of a garage it's currently stored in so I can get my other projects on the lift without having to get it started before the swap so I'm pushing the swap up on the list of To-Do's.

Any information especially opinions on whether to just buy the kit or not will help, Thank you in advance.

I have an affinity for swaps. Having performed many over the past 50 years, most without a kit of any kind, but my 2 cents is to go with the kit. If you have the fabrication skills to perform the K20 swap, you should have the skills to fabricate the mount. However, the mount is only a small portion of what's needed. With today's cost of raw material, the cost of axle fabrication, and the endless hours you'll spend trying to get the mount and shifter geometry right, I'd think twice about reinventing the wheel on your own. What are you going to save? Maybe $1,500 over the cost of the kit? Whatever you might save could easily be lost to the time and cost of mistakes along the way. As with all projects, they cost twice what you expect and take three times as long. Also, all the ancillary components get expensive. If $3,700 for the kit is out of budget what do you do in funding the remainder of the swap? Has anyone gone it alone? Yes the swap has been accomplished without the kit before. Some builders just live for the challenge, and anything is possible, so if that's your motivation I'd say go for it, but if you're expecting to cobble together everything you need to slot in the power train for $1,000 that's just not going to happen.

@papydude

Good day and welcome. Always nice to have someone new join the group.

I apologize in advance for the following, it is not a reflection on you, it is about engine swaps in general. I don’t know you, don’t know what you are capable of, what tools you own etc. The following is a realistic set of observations relative to engine swaps in general and will delve albeit briefly into some of the issues.

Three words come to mind when thinking about an engine swap: time, money and ability. Any two of these can get you through an engine swap. If you don’t have the ability to make things then it will take time and a notable amount of money to complete a swap. If you have ability then the issues are more around the time you have available to do the work which is considerable. If you have time you can slowly spend the money to accrue the tools, materials and learn the processes you will need to do the swap. If you have money then the other two items are irrelevant it just requires finding someone to do the work you want done and how much of a rush your are.

You have established you don’t have money, like most of us here. The other two I have no idea of in regards to you.

Doing an engine swap is a ton of work and requires significant invention of solutions to the problems you will find and actually create for yourself. Most engine swaps end with the car never being completed and usually the car being sold to someone else with a dream or to a junk yard because it sat in the garage for so long you have passed away :)

On this forum you will find a variety of engine swaps documented to a variety of degrees. There are five swaps here which have been documented very well. I will post links to each of the ones mentioned.

• First is the B series Honda swap by Biswanger who has installed a B16, B18 and finally a B20 into his X, last I knew he was going for a turbo. He created a pretty comprehensive road map of what you need to do, this is a PDF/PowerPoint and easily digestible.
  • Next you will find two very well documented swaps by @lookforjoe and @Rodger (there are other excellent swap threads, I picked these two due to the comprehensive nature of the info covered) , both of these swaps were comprehensive and touched nearly every area of the car. You would do well to read every post from both of their swaps, they both started from the @Matt Brannon - Midwest Bayless bracketry and guidance. Hussien (lookforjoe) had years of skills in modifying Volvos and has a voracious ability to unravel complex systems, document, solve problems and invent solutions as well as fabricate parts and solutions very quickly. Due to his ability and interests he has created a car which in my mind surpasses anything done by nearly anyone on an X (there are a few others at a similar level but I doubt they did them themselves). His swap is one really pay attention to. Rodger’s swap is a combination of sending work out to qualified vendors, being meticulous in all details, knowing what details were important and over time he added tools and abilities such that he was able to do a lot of work on his swap and ended up with one of the most amazing ‘stock’ looking K swap Xs around. Rodger was meticulous in documentation and is a good read.
  • The next swap is of the Fiat 500 turbo motor out of an Abarth but the issues are similar for swapping any modern Fiat motor given the realities of modern wiring. This swap is by @TonyK and follows him doing a home brew Megasquirt mod on his X in the past and a wide variety of other mods. Tony is another person who can unravel the nearly unfathomable and has the ability to resolve it. He is also an amazing machinist and craftsman who brings together his skill set to install something which was never intended into an X. He is working on his third swap, reading through what he has done and continues to innovate through to make his swaps a reality.
  • Next we have installing a Fiat Stilo twin cam engine being swapped by @My1stCar , this one is quite recent and although not as carefully documented as some, it has all the clues to what is needed to put a modern engine into an old car but relies on components relatively easily available in Europe and makes it a little more difficult to do here in the US. His documentation covers a ton of the base work of making an engine fit and shows his invention and problem solving skill. Great attention to detail and I look forward to seeing more about his swap which is coming to completion.
  • Finally @Bobkat is building a VW 2.5l 5 cylinder swap. He started off modifying the body on his car and has adroitly made it quite Stratos like with his digital modeling abilities and good design taste. He came here through the VW/Audi world making aftermarket parts and started the build for the VW engine a while ago and is starting build up steam. This one will be an amazing one to watch, if you have ever driven a car with this engine they sound great, pull well and are very tractable with a torque curve which is nearly flat from 2k-6k, with mods they can create a lot of power (its nearly half an Gallardo engine). I can’t wait for the next installment.

There are a variety of other swaps which have been documented to greater or lesser degrees over the last twenty plus years here. A few tragically the details of which have disappeared either due to the vagaries of the internet or by intent.

• The Fiat 124 type twin cam motor which over time appeared in the Ritmo Abarth and other platforms. This engine also appeared in the Scorpion/Monte Carlo which has much more room. This has rarely been a good fit in the X but examples of it do exist and if one looks carefully on the net you can find swap threads. Resolving the transmission issue has been the biggest issue in the US due to parts availability.
  • The Fiat 158 Torque twin cam motor, same dimension block with different mountings but a relatively easy swap, a motor we never got here though there is at least one built up in the US but its whereabout are unknown.
  • Toyota 4AGE has been done but is fairly rare, this engine come in a variety of tunes. I have seen videos but not one in person.
  • GM Ecotec 2.2/2.4l this was featured in a well documented thread but the owner would often delete the info so this one is sadly lost. There is a nice thread on a ‘silhouette’ X race car which is using this engine but it really doesn’t apply, it is an amazing thread to read through and will be an incredible car when finished.
  • There is at least one Mazda KL series V6 in a race car which is documented on the forum and is one I salivate over as I love the way the engine sounds.

There have been a few others over the years based on what was available at the time where the person lived. We have had countless discussions about the subject over the years.

The cost of a swap is a big issue, as most of what you will find in those threads shows people’s abilities. On average folks spend around 20k to complete a factory like swap. This is even accounting for these folk’s ability to make much of what was needed. You have stated the kit is too expensive. Have you started a budget list of what you think it will cost based on your ability to do what needs to be done.

I am not saying it can’t be done, obviously it can. No you don’t need to use a kit but it at least gets the most difficult part of a swap resolved and that is: how does the engine fit in the car and then how does the engine relate to the features of the car itself particularly around the engine mounts, axle etc.

The K series swap is a big undertaking as the body of the car needs to be modified pretty extensively to fit the engine. This means sheet metal fabrication and welding followed by refinishing, pretty standard car mod stuff. Then the rest of the systems have to be dealt with to meld the new to what exists for the cooling, HVAC, fuel and so on.

So, all I am trying to say is consider carefully.

In closing I will make a pitch for either rebuilding the engine you have or modifiy the engine you have or even just as itf is. The Fiat 128/138 engine is a robust engine which was very well made. Although it doesn’t make a lot of horse power given its roots lie in the 1960s, it does rev like few others, particularly with an alternative cam and a carb (or two). It really is a sweet engine which will carry 5k rpm all day without a whimper with forays up to its redline as often as you want with little care and feeding.

Last edited:
You can find links to the swaps mentioned above in the BOX Swap thread:

There is a ton of good information and plenty worth reading in these threads. Understanding the problem before you begin is always the best place to start.

On this forum you will find a variety of engine swaps documented to a variety of degrees. There are five swaps here which have been documented very well. I will post links to each of the ones mentioned.
Sure Karl, leave out the diesel CAT engine swap. Level of documentation 0%. :)
X_with_28hp_CAT_diesel_swap.JPG

I bought a x1/9 for a few hundred dollars that is not running currently but otherwise is seemingly fine mechanically. The original plan was to swap it and seeing how common the Honda swaps are and how much information of cutting and spacing I figured for my first swap this may not be terribly difficult. hopefully with the help of some mechanic friends with a lot more experience it should be easy to remove the engine and swap it.

I saw that Midwest Bayless has a kit for the mounts and subframe however $3,700 is out of my budget. I was wondering if people have fabricated their own mounts for the K20 and couldn't find anything super helpful here or anywhere else I searched online. This is a effort to get the car out of a garage it's currently stored in so I can get my other projects on the lift without having to get it started before the swap so I'm pushing the swap up on the list of To-Do's.

Any information especially opinions on whether to just buy the kit or not will help, Thank you in advance.
In answer to your basic question, the mounts needed will have to go from where they are on the K series engine to places in the X engine bay which are strong enough to take the imposed loads of both the torque and the weight.

The K uses four mounts, one each end and fore and aft. In all likelihood you need to buy new examples of the existing K mounts (rubber based OE type not urethane as they will guaranteed vibrate the car too much), apply them to the engine and then place the engine in the engine bay properly after making the needed changes to the engine and to the body of the X.

Then you need to map how to make a connection to the structure of the X which has four mounting positions to the body of the car: fore and aft by way of a cross member, up high at the rear for a torque mount and on the right side forward of the Chapman strut structure. Normally the torque rod mount and the right side mount are removed to allow more room in the engine bay and to make room for the right side Honda engine mount.

This is what the MWB solution does for you by providing the correct place for the engine mounts to go relative to the hard points in an X and provide a good relationship to the rear axle location which is somewhat optimal.

If you look at the ‘no cut’ K swap thread there are some good clues as to what you would want to do which as I recall did not buy the MWB kit. Unfortunately due to the difference in the X to a modern Honda there is no easy minor modification to fit the K into the car.

I bought a x1/9 for a few hundred dollars that is not running currently but otherwise is seemingly fine mechanically.
In regards to not starting it would be extremely helpful to us in helping you to see your car’s year and any known modifications in your signature so we know where you are starting from.

These threads are worth reading through and were amassed based on Matt’s long experience with Xs and other forum members chiming in. Worth taking the time to read these as well. Remember you don’t eat an elephant all at once, just a bite at a time.

Post detailed photos of the car - look at the floor , inner strut towers & anywhere else you see signs of rot. Depending on how extensive it is, a K swap may or may not be much more work than you are hoping for, since it also requires upgrades to many other aspects of the car in order to be safe.

It's been said above. If you try to fabricate your own subframe, it will likely double the time it takes to do the conversion. Mine took close to 2 years to complete, using the MWB kit (modified for my later gen JDM K24/AST5M drivetrain.

I have a complete 1600cc Euro head, Wisecos, MWB EFI cam, adj cam gear, etc.... if you need a new motor..... 😊

I have an affinity for swaps. Having performed many over the past 50 years, most without a kit of any kind, but my 2 cents is to go with the kit. If you have the fabrication skills to perform the K20 swap, you should have the skills to fabricate the mount. However, the mount is only a small portion of what's needed. With today's cost of raw material, the cost of axle fabrication, and the endless hours you'll spend trying to get the mount and shifter geometry right, I'd think twice about reinventing the wheel on your own. What are you going to save? Maybe $1,500 over the cost of the kit? Whatever you might save could easily be lost to the time and cost of mistakes along the way. As with all projects, they cost twice what you expect and take three times as long. Also, all the ancillary components get expensive. If $3,700 for the kit is out of budget what do you do in funding the remainder of the swap? Has anyone gone it alone? Yes the swap has been accomplished without the kit before. Some builders just live for the challenge, and anything is possible, so if that's your motivation I'd say go for it, but if you're expecting to cobble together everything you need to slot in the power train for $1,000 that's just not going to happen.
Thanks for the response. I'm a little interested in ways to save the money still, I saw a post from 2018 where he got a Acura Rsx donor and modified the rsx mounts to fit. I'm wondering what your thoughts might be on doing this seeing that you've done a lot more swaps than I've done.

The post is here: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/here-is-another-k20-swap.35927/

I'm wondering what your thoughts might be on doing this seeing that you've done a lot more swaps than I've done.
I suspect most everyone who has completed or has a K20 swap in progress has poured over every thread including the one you've provided. When deciding which route to take I think you have to answer some fundamental questions:

• When compared to the MWB kit, does utilizing existing Honda mounts coupled with a custom sub-frame introduce or reduce the overall complexity of the swap?
  • Does it increase or decrease the time spent?
  • Does it increase or decrease the overall cost?
  • Is final serviceability easier, harder, or about the same?
  • Is the end result better, worse, or the same?
  • Do I have the skill set?
  • Do I have the equipment?

Not all swaps are created equal. A typical front engine/RWD requires centering, leveling, fabricating some motor and tranny mounts, fabricating a suitable driveshaft and done. A mid engine, transverse power train application in a very small vehicle with packaging issues requires a lot more effort to successfully get it across the finish line. For me, the choice to utilize the kit was the answer, for you it may be the same, or it may be different. In the end there is no right or wrong method, you just have to pick the direction that works best for you.

Yes he is a serial modder, he kept this for a surprisingly short amount of time. His wife’s Camaro is lovely. I don’t know what else he has built but he certainly has some serious skills.
Yeah, pretty sure that build is not homegrown32's first goat rodeo...

@papydude

Good day and welcome. Always nice to have someone new join the group.

I apologize in advance for the following, it is not a reflection on you, it is about engine swaps in general. I don’t know you, don’t know what you are capable of, what tools you own etc. The following is a realistic set of observations relative to engine swaps in general and will delve albeit briefly into some of the issues.

Three words come to mind when thinking about an engine swap: time, money and ability. Any two of these can get you through an engine swap. If you don’t have the ability to make things then it will take time and a notable amount of money to complete a swap. If you have ability then the issues are more around the time you have available to do the work which is considerable. If you have time you can slowly spend the money to accrue the tools, materials and learn the processes you will need to do the swap. If you have money then the other two items are irrelevant it just requires finding someone to do the work you want done and how much of a rush your are.

You have established you don’t have money, like most of us here. The other two I have no idea of in regards to you.

Doing an engine swap is a ton of work and requires significant invention of solutions to the problems you will find and actually create for yourself. Most engine swaps end with the car never being completed and usually the car being sold to someone else with a dream or to a junk yard because it sat in the garage for so long you have passed away :)

• First is the B series Honda swap by Biswanger who has installed a B16, B18 and finally a B20 into his X, last I knew he was going for a turbo. He created a pretty comprehensive road map of what you need to do, this is a PDF/PowerPoint and easily digestible.
  • Next you will find two very well documented swaps by @lookforjoe and @Rodger (there are other excellent swap threads, I picked these two due to the comprehensive nature of the info covered) , both of these swaps were comprehensive and touched nearly every area of the car. You would do well to read every post from both of their swaps, they both started from the @Matt Brannon - Midwest Bayless bracketry and guidance. Hussien (lookforjoe) had years of skills in modifying Volvos and has a voracious ability to unravel complex systems, document, solve problems and invent solutions as well as fabricate parts and solutions very quickly. Due to his ability and interests he has created a car which in my mind surpasses anything done by nearly anyone on an X (there are a few others at a similar level but I doubt they did them themselves). His swap is one really pay attention to. Rodger’s swap is a combination of sending work out to qualified vendors, being meticulous in all details, knowing what details were important and over time he added tools and abilities such that he was able to do a lot of work on his swap and ended up with one of the most amazing ‘stock’ looking K swap Xs around. Rodger was meticulous in documentation and is a good read.
  • The next swap is of the Fiat 500 turbo motor out of an Abarth but the issues are similar for any modern Fiat motor given the realities of modern wiring. This swap is by @TonyK and follows him doing a home brew Megasquirt mod on his X and a wide variety of other mods. Tony is another person who can unravel the nearly unfathomable and has the ability to resolve it. He is also an amazing machinist and craftsman who brings together his skill set to install something which was never intended into an X. He is working on his third swap, reading through what he has done and continues to innovate through to make his swaps a reality.
  • Next we have installing a Fiat Stilo twin cam engine being swapped by @My1stCar , this one is quite recent and although not as carefully documented as some, it has all the clues to what is needed to put a modern engine into an old car but relies on components relatively easily available in Europe and makes it a little more difficult to do here in the US. His documentation covers a ton of the base work of making an engine fit and shows his invention and problem solving skill. Great attention to detail and I look forward to seeing more about his swap which is coming to completion.
  • Finally @Bobkat is building a VW 2.5l 5 cylinder swap. He started off modifying the body on his car and has adroitly made it quite Stratos like with his digital modeling abilities and good design taste. He came here through the VW/Audi world making aftermarket parts and started the build for the VW engine a while ago and is starting build up steam. This one will be an amazing one to watch, if you have ever driven a car with this engine they sound great, pull well and are very tractable with a torque curve which is nearly flat from 2k-6k, with mods they can create a lot of power (its nearly half an Gallardo engine). I can’t wait for the next installment.

There are a variety of other swaps which have been documented to greater or lesser degrees over the last twenty plus years here. A few tragically the details of which have disappeared either due to the vagaries of the internet or by intent.

• The Fiat 124 type twin cam motor which over time appeared in the Ritmo Abarth and other platforms. This engine also appeared in the Scorpion/Monte Carlo which has much more room. This has rarely been a good fit in the X but examples of it do exist and if one looks carefully on the net you can find swap threads. Resolving the transmission issue has been the biggest issue in the US due to parts availability.
  • The Fiat 158 Torque twin cam motor, same dimension block with different mountings but a relatively easy swap, a motor we never got here though there is at least one built up in the US but its whereabout are unknown.
  • Toyota 4AGE has been done but is fairly rare, this engine come in a variety of tunes. I have seen videos but not one in person.
  • GM Ecotec 2.2/2.4l this was featured in a well documented thread but the owner would often delete the info so this one is sadly lost. There is a nice thread on a ‘silhouette’ X race car which is using this engine but it really doesn’t apply, it is an amazing thread to read through and will be an incredible car when finished.
  • There is at least one Mazda KL series V6 in a race car which is documented on the forum and is one I salivate over as I love the way the engine sounds.

There have been a few others over the years based on what was available at the time where the person lived. We have had countless discussions about the subject over the years.

The cost of a swap is a big issue, as most of what you will find in those threads shows people’s abilities. On average folks spend around 20k to complete a factory like swap. This is even accounting for these folk’s ability to make much of what was needed. You have stated the kit is too expensive. Have you started a budget list of what you think it will cost based on your ability to do what needs to be done.

I am not saying it can’t be done, obviously it can. No you don’t need to use a kit but it at least gets the most difficult part of a swap resolved and that is: how does the engine fit in the car and then how does the engine relate to the features of the car itself particularly around the engine mounts, axle etc.

The K series swap is a big undertaking as the body of the car needs to be modified pretty extensively to fit the engine. This means sheet metal fabrication and welding followed by refinishing, pretty standard car mod stuff. Then the rest of the systems have to be dealt with to meld the new to what exists for the cooling, HVAC, fuel and so on.

So, all I am trying to say is consider carefully.

In closing I will make a pitch for either rebuilding the engine you have or modifiy the engine you have or even just as itf is. The Fiat 128/138 engine is a robust engine which was very well made. Although it doesn’t make a lot of horse power given its roots lie in the 1960s, it does rev like few others, particularly with an alternative cam and a carb (or two). It really is a sweet engine which will carry 5k rpm all day without a whimper with forays up to its redline as often as you want with little care and feeding.
Karl, nice write up. The reason I did a swap is because I wanted it, not because I would like it. There is a big difference. If you want something you will do what it takes to make it happen. If you would like something, well... maybe it will happen and maybe it will not. There is a tremendous amount of labour in a swap. What cannot be purchased, needs to be made, and who will make it and at what cost. I can do it, but do I have the tools to do it? There are some on this form that look at all of this as a challenge and calculate solutions to each challenge and there are many. Swaps are for the elite mind thinkers, they present challenges and resolve comes from within. Once on this path, there are not many that you can turn to, to resolve an issue when it present's it's self. Each build has a bug or two that take time, money and present frustration to get past. That being said, to me it is worth having something so different from everyone else. That is an expression of the builder's inner self, love it or hate it, it must be lived with.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Karl, nice write up. The reason I did a swap is because I wanted it, not because I would like it. There is a big difference. If you want something you will do what it takes to make it happen. If you would like something, well... maybe it will happen and maybe it will not. There is a tremendous amount of labour in a swap. What cannot be purchased, needs to be made, and who will make it and at what cost. I can do it, but do I have the tools to do it? There are some on this form that look at all of this as a challenge and calculate solutions to each challenge and there are many. Swaps are for the elite mind thinkers, they present challenges and resolve comes from within. Once on this path, there are not many that you can turn to, to resolve an issue when it present's it's self. Each build has a bug or two that take time, money and present frustration to get past. That being said, to me it is worth having something so different from everyone else. That is an expression of the builder's inner self, love it or hate it, it must be lived with.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.
Very well said.

Once on this path, there are not many that you can turn to, to resolve an issue when it present's its self. Each build has a bug or two that take time, money and present frustration to get past.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.
I have found this to be true with my swap. Plan as you may, once you design and build something, as soon as you start driving it the weak points start surfacing. Lots and lots of revision before you can call it a finished project, if ever, That K20 kit removes a LOT of guesswork and puts you much closer to a drivable car.

Back