Dallara Body Kits - Which One?

Thanks for the pictures, now in my file.
I was such a newbie. We left the car parked like this while we were out exploring the event. We discovered on the first run day that the fuel pressure regulator had been turned to zero!
Chris,

Here is a video of you or George from that event. (I think your co driver's name was George.) Didn't you have a coolant hose blow and you finished the event in Alex's red Dallara X? It was many years ago, so I could be misremembering.

Reach out to Derek Greenwood (Florida) - he made the kit I used. They used to make 2 or 3 layer, depending on race or street application. I'll see if I have his email.
I’ll look him up, but if you find his contact info feel free to shoot it over to me as well!

FWIW:
Apparently there is another "style" of flares that has been used. The "Boig" flares look very similar to the Dallara flares. Bob Boig raced X1/9s in the SCCA production classes many years ago and apparently developed his own flares (or he copied someone else, or someone else copied his?, I don't know the history).
Anyway - I was offered molds for the "Boig" flares not long ago. I passed, but I think they may still be available. If someone is interested in brewing their own, PM me.

FWIW:
Apparently there is another "style" of flares that has been used. The "Boig" flares look very similar to the Dallara flares. Bob Boig raced X1/9s in the SCCA production classes many years ago and apparently developed his own flares (or he copied someone else, or someone else copied his?, I don't know the history).
Anyway - I was offered molds for the "Boig" flares not long ago. I passed, but I think they may still be available. If someone is interested in brewing their own, PM me.
I have seen those also on MW site. I have contemplated doing those instead as they are different.

Odie

I have seen those also on MW site. I have contemplated doing those instead as they are different.

Odie
My former raceX had the Boig kit. Just from looking at it I would say it is more race car oriented in the way it mounts to the car. Maybe it's just the way mine was put together. Here are some pictures of the kit on the car:
20200926_132556s.jpgIMG_5601.jpgIMG_7165s.JPGIMG_7163.JPGIMG_7168s.JPG

In the last 2 pictures you can see the front fenders are much flatter to the hood line than the dallara kit.

My former raceX had the Boig kit. Just from looking at it I would say it is more race car oriented in the way it mounts to the car. Maybe it's just the way mine was put together. Here are some pictures of the kit on the car:
View attachment 73656View attachment 73657View attachment 73658View attachment 73659View attachment 73660

In the last 2 pictures you can see the front fenders are much flatter to the hood line than the dallara kit.
thanks for the photos. those give me a better perspective. I actually kinda like it. not as much as dallara, but still might go that route. I have until winter to think about it as it will be a winter project

Odie

Chris,

Here is a video of you or George from that event. (I think your co driver's name was George.) Didn't you have a coolant hose blow and you finished the event in Alex's red Dallara X? It was many years ago, so I could be misremembering.

That was me on the second day. I was running 151, George 51.
After the fuel pressure regulator issue was solved, we had a small fuel leak that developed on the second day. And the cap fell off the catch tank. I did borrow Alex's car to finish my runs, but it was already over.

When I took the hose in to be replaced the guy told me that hoses last longer if you don't puncture them with a sharp object. The hole he showed me was not natural.
I had not realized how serious SCCA competitors were going to be at the nationals. If I was ever to go again the car would be stored in a locked enclosed trailer with me sleeping in there with it!

Back