Dashboard repairs

A while back I mentioned trying a different product to repair some large cracks in one of my dashes. Here's a little more on it. If you hate my long winded narratives, then skip to the last paragraph for a summary.

This dash had the typical two cracks, one on either side of the defrost vent - top center of the dash. Plus some smaller 'dents' and cracks where the brittle vinyl had been damaged. [I did not take any pics of it before or during the early stages.]

First I ground back the raised hardened vinyl that had curled up on either side of the cracks. I used a 3M "Roloc" disc to make quick easy work of that:
View attachment 50646

I had to grind back almost 2 inches on either side to get to where it was pretty flat again. Along with the vinyl came a lot of rotted foam padding that was under the covering. So by the time I had things ground back I was left with two huge "V" shaped valleys deep into the dash, from the front to the back, all the way down to the metal subframe.

The "filler" I was experimenting with is a flexible acrylic 'plastic' product you've seen advertised on TV. Think of that goofy guy making a boat out of chicken wire, called "FlexSeal".

View attachment 50635

They market it as a waterproofing or leak sealant and they call it "rubber", but in reality it is none of those things. A couple years ago at a trade show I was given some boxes of sample products from that company. There was aerosol cans of waterproofing, tubes of "glue", and other things I don't remember. At that time they did not offer the "paste" you now see advertised. I tried some of the spray 'sealant' on a couple applications and it is total garbage, doesn't work at all to seal anything. I also tried the 'glue' on a couple of things and it doesn't work at all to glue anything. So I had very little expectations for it and the rest of the samples just sat in a box.

But as I thought about filling these huge cracks in the dash, I did not want to go the common path of body filler. For one thing these voids were much too large to fill with bondo, and for another it dries hard and won't allow any movement of the dash pad without cracking again. Someone makes a filler product for repairing dashes but I'd need a dozen of those tiny cans and they aren't cheap. So I decided to try the FlexSeal I had left over. I think what they now call "Flex Paste" would be best.

This stuff reminds me of a cross between acrylic calking (like DAP) and "Plasti Dip" (the stuff you can cover your car with and peel off later). It is viscous, creamy and sticky but not overly messy. It cleans up pretty easily before it cures - which takes a day or two. And best of all you can use it directly from the container as is - no catalyst to mix and no short window before it goes off. Honestly I just globbed it heavily into the huge cracks, filling them as much as possible with the first application. You can spread it sort of like you would body filler. And it can be lightly sanded after it cures, but only to a limit; if you get too aggressive with the sanding it will ball up and roll up and possibly even tear. But with fine grit paper and a fairly light touch it will shape and even feather pretty well. Therefore it is best to get it as close to your desired shape when you apply it, reducing the amount of sanding needed later. And it doesn't shrink like many products. I applied a couple of additional coats to get the surface flat. Here are some pics as I was sanding and building up the filler:

Looking down from above. The yellow lines represent where the major cracks were....
View attachment 50631

Closer view; still needs sanding and another layer here...
View attachment 50632View attachment 50633

Eventually I filled all the way across the voids to their ends. As mentioned there were other spots that also got filled. Plus I decided to eliminate the headlight switch hole ('79 dash) and cigarette lighter hole by filling them the same way.

After filling everything I wanted to experiment more, this time with using a type of "truck bed liner" to cover the dash. I'd seen this done online a long time ago, then someone here (I think it was 'Look for Joe') mentioned it again. This dash was in rather poor shape all around. And it was the Fiat "turd" brown I hate. So I either needed to completely recover the surface in vinyl, or cover it with something heavy enough to hide all of its sins. There are a variety of truck bed liner (TBL) products with all sorts of different features and finishes. I chose to use a very inexpensive, commonly available product that comes in aerosol cans. This is a one-part (non-catalyzed) product that tends to go on thinner than most TBLs, has less "texture" than most others, and drys to a matte black finish. With the spray can type it is just like painting and no messy clean up.

I found that the more layers you build up the heavier the texture becomes. Actually I put on too much for my preference. Next time I would only put on one light coat. Then if needed I would use paint over that to provide better color coverage. But here is what it looks like with the TBL on:
View attachment 50637
View attachment 50638

Here's where the headlight switch was:
View attachment 50639

And where the lighter was (bad pic):
View attachment 50640

For a smoother surface it can be sanded or scuffed with a 3M "Scotch Brite" pad or fine paper. I will be recovering the dash, which was the plan all along, but it turned out much better looking than I expected. I may even keep part of it like this and only cover part.

Summary:
Use a Roloc disc to grind back the raised edges of the cracks until they are level with the rest of the dash.
Glob in a bunch of Flex Paste to fill the void and spread it as smooth and flat as possible.
Let it cure then sand any high spots with a fine grit paper.
Fill and sand again as needed to get the desired repair.
Paint one light coat of a spray can 'truck bed liner' product.
Lightly scuff the surface with a Scotch Pad to get the preferred finish/texture.
If desired you can paint over that to get the color you want.
That really looks good, I could see using it and calling it a day. The big question is how will it look in 2 years going through heat and cold cycles.

That really looks good, I could see using it and calling it a day. The big question is how will it look in 2 years going through heat and cold cycles.
Considering that bed liner is made to cover the exposed bed of a pickup truck, to not only resist year around weather and climatic conditions, but also the wear and tear of hauling loads, it is extremely durable. The 4x4 guys cover their entire vehicles with it instead of repainting the body every couple of years. Boats use it as a waterproof floor cover that you won't slip on. Industrial applications, military uses, and on and on...this is a tough product. That's one of the things I liked about the concept on a dash, it will actually strengthen the existing fragile dried-out vinyl and preserve the function of the original vintage piece.

Took a couple more sample photos to show the results, apparently some of my previous pics aren't showing up well.

The gauge cluster surround/binnacle:
004.JPG

The glove box lid (it looks grey in this pic but that's only due to the lighting washing it out, it's matte black):
005.JPG

Also, I taped off some areas where I did not want the bed liner to cover. I wasn't sure how nice of a line the taped edge would leave. But it seems to be the same as with any paint (yellow arrow is where the tape line was - vinyl paint on the left, bed liner on the right):
001.JPG

That last pic also gives a comparison of the stock original finish (on the left) vs the liner finish. This is a section of the center console.

Did a quick trial "mock-up" assembly of the dash and console today. Some items are just sitting there, not fully installed. But I thought this might offer a better idea of how the bed liner finish looks:

010.JPG

012.JPG

014.JPG

007.JPG

Still waiting on delivery of some electrical supplies before I can finish up the wiring and complete this project. I'm really sick of the slow shipping services here. :mad:

I can live with that texture level. Jeff, how about throwing a penny in there for grain size reference?

I can live with that texture level. Jeff, how about throwing a penny in there for grain size reference?
I didn't think of it but I should have put something in for reference. But that was why I took pics from a few angles and of a few surfaces to try and show the texture. If I take more pics later I will add an object for reference.

I would describe the "grain" as fine. Certainly much smaller than I expected for a bed liner product. I can say it will depend on the particular product you use; there are many brands, types, and application techniques, all of which have different finish results. It seems like the single stage (vs the catalyzed ones with a two part system) types have a finer grain. Also the cheap "rattle can" stuff (vs the gallon that is shot through a spray gun) seems thinner, also making it finer. And I discussed how the application techniques affect the texture earlier. Finally scuffing it (e.g. ScotchBrite pad) after words reduces the texture more. I imagine you could even sand it (actual sandpaper) down more if desired. Something else I did not try is painting over it. But I think that will reduce the texture/grain more. I'm sure you could build up as many layers of paint over it as you want, to achieve whatever finish you want.

If you run your hand over the surface it does not feel smooth. Although there isn't a deep "texture" to it, it is somewhat rough feeling. So it might collect dust or lint. This particular product left a finish more like sandpaper than others that are more like wrinkled. Hope all of that makes sense.

Personnaly, I don't like the wrinkle look unless it is a Ferrari valve cover in red. But your results to hide cracks and switch holes is impressing. I like yours much more than the reference pics of the Ferrari's. After that, it's all a matter of taste. I guess, somebody could achieve the same with a more smoother finish, but some testing would be required. I wouldn't choose your product results over a nice original one, but as I said, it is much better than a cracked dash. I'm impressed.

Again DJ, thanks for posting. I'll do my dash in the next couple weeks and will post a couple picks... Hopefully it will come out half as nice as yours. Like you, this is not a project where I want to spend 50 hours and $300 on specialized materials on a dash fix. What you have done looks very reasonable for a driver, and that's were I want to be.

Like you, this is not a project where I want to spend 50 hours and $300 on specialized materials on a dash fix. What you have done looks very reasonable for a driver, and that's were I want to be.
Exactly.

I'll be very interested to hear how it goes for anyone else. Maybe I just got lucky with the particular products I used, or the conditions I had when spraying, or whatever. I will repeat something I've said a couple times already, the resultant finish does differ depending on several factors. So even if I did everything the same again it could end up looking different, who knows. But I am encouraged enough to do it again on my next dash repair.

I wonder what is the causes of cracked dashboard. I changed my 1980 brown dash for a 1987 black ones. Neither was cracked at the time, but it was more than 20 years ago. I sold the brown one, so I can't say anything about it, but the black one is still perfect. I bought a 1987 car with a good dash, but a few years later I found the usual crack around the top vent, near the glovebox, after a winter storage.

Guessing the cause could be the temperature fluctuation (deep cold or real hot), what could we do about it. My 1980 car with the 1987 dash was always heated garage kept in the winter and when I changed the dash, I took a lot of care of bolting all nuts and bolts tight and using the white "pastic" spacers under each attachment. That also may have help.

Maybe a plastic protector like "Armor all" (I know, a lot of people hates it) could help or not?

I've been trying to think of a better way to describe the texture I got on my dash with the bed liner. Yesterday after the mock up I tore it back down and wrapped everything for storage until I need it again, so I won't be taking more pics for a long time. But I'll try to use some existing photos to see if I can describe it better.

Look at these two pics. The first one is what someone else got using a bedliner made by SEM on their dash (I think it was a BMW dash). The second one is an example found online of a U-POL bedliner product shot on sheet metal. These represent what I'd call 'rough' (first) and 'smooth' (second) textures. Mine came out more like the first one. I might describe it a little like those "anti-slip" surfaces on stairs, etc:
IMG_20191222_153301-L.jpg
U-POL Bed Liner finish.jpg

In my earlier pic of the console I showed a section where I masked off part of it. If you look to the left of the masking line you see the original factory texture (faux leather grain), and on the right of the line is the bedliner. This may help to show the "depth" of the bedliner grain:
001 - Copy.JPG

Finally, look closely at this pic from my original post. This was after the first spray out. One area came out rougher than the rest. I was experimenting with heavier layers and wetter coverage over one spot (circled). You might see the difference in the grain there (heavier) compared to the surrounding area (finer grain):
053 - Copy.JPG

My experience with spray-on bed liner products is almost zero, but they strike me as the kind of product that wants to hold onto a fine dirt/dust. How do you think your product will handle being subjected to an onslaught of fine dust, since you live in the desert?

My experience with spray-on bed liner products is almost zero, but they strike me as the kind of product that wants to hold onto a fine dirt/dust. How do you think your product will handle being subjected to an onslaught of fine dust, since you live in the desert?
As I haven't installed the dash yet I really can't say. For example if I wipe it off with a old towel it definitely gathers lint from the towel (but not with a microfiber cloth). So I'm sure it will hold dust and as you say in this environment dust is a definite issue. For me that is a tradeoff I'm going to accept for the goals of this repair; I wanted a simple, easy, inexpensive means to eliminate the huge cracks and other damage and make the dash presentable enough for a street build (not a show car or concours restoration). It actually came out much better than I ever expected, so I'm more than happy with the results. In fact I've decided this is the approach I'll take will all of the other old dashes (other builds) that are waiting for my attention.

I think another consideration for the "pros and cons" list is this should be an extremely durable, long lasting finish. Hopefully this will be the last time I ever have to deal with this dash - no special treatments or protectants, no delicate handling, no worrying about the sun beating on it, and hopefully no more cracking (I won't know until time tells, but I think with this durable layer of protection sealing the surface it should resist further cracking).

On the bright side you can clean your dash with a pressure washer…

Perhaps the same coating on the rest of the interior to allow you to do the same throughout?

:)
Isn't that how everyone cleans their interiors?

Actually that reminds me of a true story. Back in the early 80's I knew a guy that frequently threw some big wild parties at his house (I won't go into details...it was the 80's) :cool:. The next day he would literally take the garden hose and flush out the inside of his house. Really. :oops:

I plan to use bedliner to cover the undercarriage on a couple of my builds. I've also seen it used for engine bays that actually looked better than I would have imagined. So using it to coat the interior (under the carpets, pads, etc.) might not be a bad idea. It should prevent future rust.

So using it to coat the interior (under the carpets, pads, etc.) might not be a bad idea. It should prevent future rust.
What advantages do you see with bed liner vs a urethane paint or rust killer paint like Rust Bullet or POR 15?

What advantages do you see with bed liner vs a urethane paint or rust killer paint like Rust Bullet or POR 15?
I've used POR15 and I'm not too fond of it. I'd just use a two-part (catalyzed) paint if I needed a durable paint finish. I don't think a bedliner would be any better, I was just responding to the prior comment by saying it should provide a robust finish. Sort of like using an undercoating on the inside. And it should also provide a bit of sound deadening compared to any paint. But that's not to say I think bedliner is great for the interior, just that it might work.

As for rust repair there really isn't anything that will work long term if there is any existing rust, short of cutting out the entire area and replacing it with new metal...and even that will depend on the quality of the patch work. Rust reformers, converters, removers, special paints (POR), coatings, etc, will not prevent rust from continuing and spreading. Some treatments will slow it down or delay it for awhile (phosphoric acid is decent), but according to chemistry the reaction will eventually continue. The whole argument that a coating can seal out all oxygen and therefore prevent any rust simply isn't true. Science is your friend. :)

Isn't that how everyone cleans their interiors?

Actually that reminds me of a true story. Back in the early 80's I knew a guy that frequently threw some big wild parties at his house (I won't go into details...it was the 80's) :cool:. The next day he would literally take the garden hose and flush out the inside of his house. Really. :oops:

I plan to use bedliner to cover the undercarriage on a couple of my builds. I've also seen it used for engine bays that actually looked better than I would have imagined. So using it to coat the interior (under the carpets, pads, etc.) might not be a bad idea. It should prevent future rust.
That's why we had a drain in the party room at our fraternity house.

Back