Distributor options

Ok that's great think I'm good just got confused with the box that module and coil sits on I don't have that

Ok that's great think I'm good just got confused with the box that module and coil sits on I don't have that
Out of interest, what coil did you get? Typically, the ones to match the modules need to have a very low primary to get the best results. But consequentially they do get hot and as mentioned in a previous post, the heatsink'ing of the module is important - the chunky plex type in the drawing is a great design that also holds the coil, but you can get some finned aftermarket ones for just mounting the module that may be suitable.

You should find out what the ignition box is expecting for a coil primary winding impedance before you select a coil. If it is too low, the box will overheat and not last very long. For example, the stock X1/9 Bosch box uses a coil with a primary resistance of 1.1 to 1.7 ohms plus a ballast resistor in series that is 0.85 to 0.95 ohms (total resistance = 1.95 to 2.65 ohms). Some coils have an internal ballast to eliminate the need for an external ballast (the 1300s were like this). The advantage of the external ballast is that the coil does not have to dissapate as much power and runs cooler.

This is what I have Screenshot_2023-09-04-20-25-32-516.jpgScreenshot_2023-09-04-20-20-18-034.jpgScreenshot_2023-09-04-20-18-30-635.jpg

The pictures are nice to look at but data sheets would be more useful to check compatibility. I would check to see what the ignition module expects to see for a coil primary. Also make sure that the module is mounted to a good sized heat sink with thermal paste and put it some place where it will get air flow.

As far as the distributor goes, does it have a centriful advance curve close to what you are looking for? I don't know what year your car is and what the UK cars had for emissions control. In the US, the pre FI cars had some pretty weird advance configurations to pass emissions. You might want to look for an advance curve similar to the Bosch FI distributor from a performance point of view.

You should find out what the ignition box is expecting for a coil primary winding impedance before you select a coil. If it is too low, the box will overheat and not last very long. For example, the stock X1/9 Bosch box uses a coil with a primary resistance of 1.1 to 1.7 ohms plus a ballast resistor in series that is 0.85 to 0.95 ohms (total resistance = 1.95 to 2.65 ohms). Some coils have an internal ballast to eliminate the need for an external ballast (the 1300s were like this). The advantage of the external ballast is that the coil does not have to dissapate as much power and runs cooler.
The coil from a 124, a Bosch Black or Red coil I think, would work with the GM chip. It will definitely need a heat sink. Finding a 124 heat sink with coil would be ideal for this.

This one can also be used:

Last edited:
The advantage of the external ballast is that the coil does not have to dissapate as much power and runs cooler.
I recall there was some discussion on this previously with the GM module conversion, and @Yves ended up with the 105 coil and no ballast, but a decent heatsink - this is not unlike a stock 124 or Montecarlo S2 system.

Thanks for the replies I'll try and get some numbers I had a route around in the garage and found this and removed the innards do you think this might work for the module
IMG_20230905_173240.jpgIMG_20230905_173248.jpg

Here my last version heat dissipator for the GM HEI Performance Ignition Module. The module is in sandwich between two heat sink accompagned with thermal compound.

IMG_3052.JPG

Interesting didn't think of mounting it there whats the block connection with the green wires just out of interest

Interesting didn't think of mounting it there whats the block connection with the green wires just out of interest
The factory ignition module for Bosch systems used discreet components in a box that had the connections via the green cable block. The box can be rebuilt/replaced by using a more modern module, like you have, and can still appear original. If you're confident in not getting the module wet and want additional heat dissipation, then there's no need to keep the box. The initial thread on this great mod is here:
Note, there have been follow-ups too and variations of coil usage.

You can get an idea of the original box & cables on the MWB site:

Last edited:
Hi
All fitted now and started briefly but battery now flat I noticed when trying to start that my sidelights flicker when cranking have I got something wrong or could it be battery or something else completely I disconnected all wires to coil and it still does it .

Just had a thought do I still need both wires that were spliced together to neg side of coil I know one is for tacho I currently have three wires connected to new coil on neg side one from module and two from loom

and two from loom
The factory wiring in your case for the negative coil terminal was just a Brown/White cable to rev counter and a Green cable to distributor points - is this what you have? The green cable should no longer be connected at the distributor so I would disconnect the coil end too to avoid any possible shorting, but maybe cable tie it to one side in case you want to re-instate the factory setup in the future.

Yes that's what I have pink live to pos and brown and green which were spliced together from original set up i didn't realise has when I got the car somebody had put a electronic module inside dizzy and must have cut wire by dizzy but would that go through the loom or straight from dizzy ..I'll remove green wire and see what happens many thanks for your help once again.

but would that go through the loom or straight from dizzy
The green wire at the distributor (previously for the points/condenser) is simply run into the loom and comes out again at the coil - it doesn't sound like that's your problem though, but good to tidy up.

Having a nightmare at minute starts fine on the button but won't rev when timed to mark when I advance a massive amount lot better but then obviously won't start has way to much advance I do now have a vac advance on this dizzy do I need it or any other ideas welcome. I have twin IDF's so where would I put one thanks

Having a nightmare at minute starts fine on the button but won't rev when timed to mark when I advance a massive amount lot better but then obviously won't start has way to much advance I do now have a vac advance on this dizzy do I need it or any other ideas welcome. I have twin IDF's so where would I put one thanks
What does the centrifugal advance curve look like for that distributor?

Back