Dual Shocks Has anyone seen them?

Ok I take it from the dead silence that this is a rather thin subject... Let me be the first to post some pics... Tell me if you have ever seen these before... I think it is an interesting subject to explore....Anyone know why someone would want to do this??? Took these pics of a Lancia Scorpion today... JJ

DSC03716.jpg

DSC03715.jpg

DSC03713.jpg

DSC03712.jpg

DSC03711.jpg

DSC03710.jpg

Wow...

Did it have a lift kit too? :lol:

I can only guess this was some sort of kludge to fix worn out suspension parts.:sigh:

That would be Eddie T's Scorpion?
It's home brew...

Bernice

Ok I take it from the dead silence that this is a rather thin subject... Let me be the first to post some pics... Tell me if you have ever seen these before... I think it is an interesting subject to explore....Anyone know why someone would want to do this??? Took these pics of a Lancia Scorpion today... JJ

yup

I see this on lifted trucks here in Alaska a lot. Trucks with like humongous lift kits, guys who really go out and drive off road. Off road in Alaska is really off road. Do not really know the benefit of it though.

I've seen dual shocks on plenty of different...

... suspensions... but in this case... like the zip ties... these shocks appear to be a "band-aid" for something else that is not quite right on this ride... like worn out struts.

I helped a friend install shocks like this on his Subaru, as the old shocks had died after welding the spring perches back on out in the bush... imagine a 6 foot flame coming out of a shock that you are holding, I did warn him about the nitrogen :eek:mg:

It also makes for cheap shock replacement... good luck matching them to the car though

Yep... and many Hot Rodders glommed onto those...

... for some radical rear suspensions on T Buckets and Duece Roadsters... Loved the inboard disc brakes also!

Sure you do...

...you never had to do a rear brake job (changing calipers and rotors) on one! :dead:

I helped a friend install shocks like this on his Subaru, as the old shocks had died after welding the spring perches back on out in the bush... imagine a 6 foot flame coming out of a shock that you are holding, I did warn him about the nitrogen :eek:mg:

It also makes for cheap shock replacement... good luck matching them to the car though

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Nitrogen is an inert non flammable gas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen Now I wonder what was in those shocks???:eek:mg:

... suspensions... but in this case... like the zip ties... these shocks appear to be a "band-aid" for something else that is not quite right on this ride... like worn out struts.

So this might have been some proverbial snake oil or something that was sold to this guy for a quick fix?

Not pure nitrogen.

It's not pure nitrogen, it's a compound which creates sub-compounds that are flammable, the most flammable of which is 'nitromethane,' if memory serves, might be wrong. This is necessary as nitrogen is lighter than oxygen, that's why they use it in car tires.

JJay...

....hate it when you play coy with us. YOU have this car posted on eBay for someone. Hope the person really lives in Beverly Hills. Let's keep things up front here. We're all supposed to be friends here.:)

The car is not located in BH but I cant change the location. The auction all ready has bids. I have another car that is for sale in Beverly Hills and I forgot to change the location back in time.. It happens once in a while like that...:)

Quite common in the off-road world...

...which then motivates off-road posers to imitate the "look".
More of a rural culture, but occasionally seen on city trucks.
At least in the PacNW.

Extreme examples will have 4 shocks per corner.
Chrome shocks.
With neon color dust booties.
Massive lift kits to show off suspension components.
45 inch tall tires to further elevate.

Typical rig will stand 9 feet tall.
Interesting subculture...like a competition for tallest truck.
Just as goofy as donk style, 5000w stereos,
or the multitude of other sins some foist onto 4 wheels.

Always funny to see short people hoist themselves
up when rocker panels are 4 feet off the ground.
Tonya Harding drives a lifted truck.

I might be wrong but...

This is necessary as nitrogen is lighter than oxygen, that's why they use it in car tires.

I believe the reason race teams use nitrogen in their tires has nothing to do with whether it's lighter or heavier.

It has to do with, a couple of cylinders of nitrogen will run your air tools all weekend and air up all your tires, and are much smaller/lighter/easier to transport than a big old air compressor and whatever power supply you need to run it.

I think they choose nitrogen because it is fairly inert, already makes up 70% of the atmosphere (and therefore hasn't been labeled a greenhouse gas - yet) and is highly compressible.

Pete

I think Pete is on to something here. I remember in the Navy we used nitrogen to fill the tires of aircraft because it does not expand or contract under extreme heat or cold. This way the Plane can go 50,000 feet and the cold and high pressure will have no effect on the rubber expanding.

Thanks.....

Thanks Pete, I understand the use of nitrogen now, didn't know that. I'm wondering if anyone knows the composition of the gases in shocks. Just wondering....JJ, did they have them on the front too? Couldn't tell from the pictures. Oh wait, I think JJ has me blocked so he won't see this. Maybe someone else could ask.

Regarding the setup in the pictures, I do not see the advantages or the benefits or doing that. Scorps are heavier than X's so maybe it helps with loading, and it doesn't show that they are both in the back and in the front. Seems like it would throw of the dynamic balance of the car at speed, especially cornering. Would like to hear some knowledgeable opinions. But as for me I wouldn't do that to my X.

Back