Dual Shocks Has anyone seen them?

Well I'm guessing here again...

but I think it basically doubles (roughly) the damping forces. Kind of a poor mans upgrade to stiffer damping, without spending the big bucks for quality dampers.

So as others pointed out, I think it is a crutch. An ugly one, at that...

Pete

Nitrogen is used in filling aero tires and etc due to the lack of moisture if the nitrogen is properly processed and bottled. Nitrogen is mostly inert which is used as an anti-oxidant in everything from wine to fried chips to micro electronics to specimen sample preservation.

Moisture (water) expands when heated or contracts when cooled which alters that static pressure in a tire or similar closed container. Which is why aero folks and racer folks like using them in tires and dampers.

As for the twin dampers, the science of damping is complex and simply adding another damper (shock) is a guess at what the resulting damping might be. These days, many performance dampers have external reservoir to increase the heat capacity (controlled energy is converted to heat) and the dampers are pressurized to prevent foaming of the dampening fluid.

Basically, the idea of simply adding a damper might not achieve the desired result. What I will say, at the last LeMons race, Eye Sure Racing tried adding a second damper on their Miata racer.. It did not work out and made the chassis dynamics worst. They removed them soon after their first driver change. Keep in mind, this team has full use of a shock/damper dyno (Mazda USA) and they have a chassis engineer to work this out. They concluded the helper damper made the car perform worst.

In the off road racer world where dampers are pounded to bits, dual dampers when properly set up helps control heat generated by the bumps and lowers stress in the dampers.

Pro / WRC rally cars have serious damper technology, similar or identical to off road racers.. and many of them have dual dampers.
On a road car driven on mostly smooth roads, they are a bit over the top.

Bernice

I think Pete is on to something here. I remember in the Navy we used nitrogen to fill the tires of aircraft because it does not expand or contract under extreme heat or cold. This way the Plane can go 50,000 feet and the cold and high pressure will have no effect on the rubber expanding.

Race teams run nitrogen in their tires because it has less expansion with temperature and doesn't carry water vapor. Water vapor expands/contracts greatly with temperature.

Because race tires often run at 150 to 400 percent of ambient temperature, the internal air pressure can rise as much as 50% with temperature. And because a tire's air pressure has a huge influence on the tire's performance and therefore the car's setup, maintaining consistent tire pressure is critical. Because nitrogen is less prone to expansion than air, race teams use nitrogen.

Hmmmm... water vapor issues are diff from air

Race teams run nitrogen in their tires because it has less expansion with temperature and doesn't carry water vapor. Water vapor expands/contracts greatly with temperature.

Because race tires often run at 150 to 400 percent of ambient temperature, the internal air pressure can rise as much as 50% with temperature. And because a tire's air pressure has a huge influence on the tire's performance and therefore the car's setup, maintaining consistent tire pressure is critical. Because nitrogen is less prone to expansion than air, race teams use nitrogen.

Air is 78% Nitrogen, 21% oxygen and the rest various gasses. Therefore Nitrogen for tires basically excludes Oxygen. Removing water is another issue. Check the reference here for info that all gases have the same coefficient of expansion: http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/152.mf1i.spring02/ThermProps.htm
Scroll down to "gas pressure increase with temperature"
Anyway a friend of mine is the sales manger for a company that sells and rents Nitrogen systems to transportaion businesses and I have read volumes of data about their products. In the end I did not purchase these systems. My application was for paint spraying, which has some benefits if you have a production line environment. There was some argument regarding leakage rates with the Nitrogen but mostly sales hype. In the end racers will take any advantage, real or possible....
Just my opinion
Bob T.

Back