Earl Grey and Marmite

Q&A

Now that the sheets are bloody...
and the Windsors are off producing yet another generation of chinless banjo players, what do you predict for the May 5 referendum?
First pass the post. We like our politicians to be like our weather - unpredictable. It gives us something to gripe about in the pub whilst drinking our overpriced beer.
Also, a few basic British politics questions, if you would be so good:

1) What in the world is a LIB DEM? This sounds either redundant or wishy washy to the American ear. Please explain and/or defend such a label.
Liberal Democrats are the centre of the middle ground - neither fish nor fowl. They are as you describe - both wishy-washy and redundant c/w a large dollop of indecisive certainty.
2) Do you think that the fact AV has been used without bloodshed in Australia since 1918 is any sort of recommendation to the British. It is my understanding the Antipodes are populated entirely by criminals and people with eyes below their navels. Please provide examples of non-criminal Australians to bolster your defence of AV (Nicole Kidman does not count because she always marries men shorter than she).
I wouldn't presume to comment on our colonial ancestry. We attempted to civilise our erstwhile criminal classes by offering free portage to the excellent holiday camps in Botany Bay. Now we are hurt that they mistook our largesse and decided that they no longer wish to be part of our limp empire.
Only one Aussie springs to mind, Barry Humphries. His alter ego, Dame Eda Everage, sums up the male Australian perfectly.
3) Do all front benchers go to the same barber?
No. Only the same gents tailors, toilets and brothels.
4) My wife claims there are no 'grassy knolls' in the West End. I have taken the rule of thumb to the saucy wench but she perseveres in her claim. Please provide example(s) of GKs for my use in dousing her pretentions to intellectual equality ( she has just finished Three Guineas is in a foul, man-hating mood at present-it is I who is afraid of VW)
The distaff side are, by their very nature, argumentative, contrary and, occasionally, aggressive. Try to mention the Hyde Park, Regent's and others without crushing her new found joy in her imagined independance. Women are as fragrant orchids - to be handled with gentility and respect if one wishes to sample their scent and nectar.
Ms W was but an angry and waspish female who was unable to emulate the grosser arachnid and consume her suitor. Sleep with the light on for a while. I'll send you my cromed Remington 9 mil for a while until you stop wetting the bed.
May be best, on second thoughts, that you retire to the guest room and lock your door. Have the maid deliver your nightcap of warm Ovaltine via your back entrance.
5) Why does Scotland have both it's own Parliment and 59 seats at Westminster? Does England have 59 seats in the SP? Please explain this stupidity so even I can understand it.
The Scottish race is renowned for their native aggression, especially after quaffing vaste quantities of their national beverage. At any one parliamentary sitting, one half will be found battering seven colours of s***e out of the others. Cogniscent of this fact we English granted them extra rations so that enough SMPs would be compus mentis when their section bell rang.
6) What is with the huge number of MPs and Lords-like almost 1400 of them? We get by (if that is the right word) with a total of 435 Representatives and 100 Senators. Your "country" has only 68m "people" we have 305M or some damn thing. Please give reasons for this abomination against Nature.
We work on the principal that "When America sneezes, England catches cold". With our penchant for imitation and butt kissing everything American, it's only a matter of time before we start shooting our politicians. Hence the need for supplies-a-plenty.
7) How did you guys get away with being part of the EU but without the Euro? Jolly good move on your part by the way.
It takes years and years of duplicity, mendacious ordacity, subterfuge and bare faced guile. Not for nothing are we termed the 'Mother of all Parliaments'. We take our brightest and most gifted chinless wonders at 8 years old, stick them into creepy old dungeons, allow them to be badgered and bu***red by older boys until they're ready for Parliament.
With that sort of background we were able to control half of the known world. Europe? Pah!

Re: yours in item 4

please clarify 'back entrance' as applied to the delivery of my Ovaltine. Confusion on this point could be embarrassing. Await with bated breath-honestly :eek:mg:

Corrections and addenda

Twigged VW - See amended version

Back passage refers to servant's access to the head of the house's boudoir. However, such variations as may be one's personal taste are apt to be forgiven in the quest for personal freedoms.

Ian - hearing you object to poor treatment of your near neighbours gives great encouragement in the goal of universal peace and goodwill.

No matter what everyone else says, I have always maintained Lawso is a top bloke.

Me too mate

He's a diamond geezer and kind to sheep too - leastways that's what the guy from the farm next door says. His breeding ewes always seems to perk up after he takes them on their favourite walk together. He can't be blamed for his hobby though. Apparently his only teacher was an old Welsh hill farmer who introduced him to animal husbandry quite literally ....

Hence his nickname 'Lawson the Lamb' :love: Baaa humbug indeed!

Last edited:
tumblr_kzyk6yXZSK1qb4x0go1_500.jpg

Always watching.

Indeed!

He who must always be obeyed ....:worship:

All in jest Mark, all in jest.

ps - haven't you got a better photo?...:lol:

Never mind that... my concern is how to persuade Pippa to take interest in a middle-aged bloke with an old Italian car on the other side of the world... :angel:

82% increase in the sale of...

English wine:eek:mg: So they sold about 18 bottles instead of 10?
Or has global warming turned Kent into the Bordeaux of the north?
Or is "English Wine" a euphemism for something unmentionable in polite company?

Big Society stuff innit?

You'll hafta get in quick buddy ....

They'll be posting the first banns on her engagement this weekend!
Still, they don't call you "Mark the Shark" for nothing. Get in there.
Remember, though: she's not averse to walloping guys across the kisser that call her Pippa - it's the full-cream Phillipa, don'tcha know?

Hafta say, that both sisters and their mum are very attractive .........:love:

English wine

Despite your disparaging comments young Pat, even the xenophobic french have taken a drop or two since the change in weather patterns from rainy to sharp frosts and dry times.
Our Kentish viticulturists knocked seven bells out of the competition in la belle France, of recent memory and fine wines are returning to the region, having had vinyards planted by the invading Romans a thousand years ago.:drink::drink::drink:

Is Portland similarly blessed?

Yes, we are blessed...

by being a long drive from Napa, Sonoma, Alexander Valley and the Mendecino Coast. Never have had the local product from the Oregon area. Suspect it is highly praised by its producers though.

These woud be the same Romans who ignored all topography in laying out their roads across Albion?

What in the world sort of grapes grow in Kent? I thought all that land was given over to hops so as to provide bucolic childhood memories for the coal begrimed denizens of the north.

Aw shucks, Brian.................!!

No matter what everyone else says, I have always maintained Lawso is a top bloke.

........thanks, cobber! :hug:
But I'm still feeling a bit embarrassed about the WALLOPING your "mighty" Reds took on the weekend, mate!! :D
But us 'downunderlanders' gotta look after each other - fancy calling our population "criminals" or wotever!!
Just because a few of our 'honest world-travelling' fellow citizens (Mr Asia, Shappelle C., et al) end up pleading for their rightful innocence in the cruel shackles of their respective Mr. Plods don't mean to say we're all crims, eh mate! :innocent:

cheers, mate! Ian - NZ

Back