Early steering wheel and horn internals

RDS

True Classic
Hello all

A few horn-related questions....

Does anyone have an exploded diagram showing the internal working parts of the early FIAT horn please? Is there a spring behind the horn push or two smaller ones in the pockets for the terminals.

Is there a horn push which is a direct replacement that is a bit more stylish than the fiat in a rectangle style?

Also, how does the horn cover of the later bertone 3-spoke style come off: is it prized off or squeezed?

Many thanks

RDS

Mine came w/o the cover, so here is what is underneath.
1707242482009.png

I actually have the button but not the retaining ring. Looks like it may snap into the three slots in the wheel.

There are two I know of, using different wheels

Early, a hard plastic ring with separate horn button that uses a single spring around the nut inside the horn contact ring, like Mark's, above.

and

Late, a soft vinyl-like one-piece cover that uses two springs and has the horn ring on the back, no ring on the wheel.

The second type that I have has silver spokes.

There are two I know of, using different wheels

Early, a hard plastic ring with separate horn button that uses a single spring around the nut inside the horn contact ring, like Mark's, above.

and

Late, a soft vinyl-like one-piece cover that uses two springs and has the horn ring on the back, no ring on the wheel.

The second type that I have has silver spokes.
Yes the second type sounds like the one I have here; silver paint not chrome and two "wells" likely for springs?

IMG_3907.JPG
The back has the turn signal pin at the bottom.
The rubber(?) cap seems to be adequate for the action, but the springs are used for contact thru the hub.

see those two wells, is that where springs are to be located?
Yes.

Also, how does the horn cover of the later bertone 3-spoke style come off: is it prized off or squeezed?
Presumably this is what you have currently on your '87 as that's the factory type for the last years. The cover "just" prises off from memory - work one side of a spoke at a time and roll the padded part over to free the second side. What is the matter with this steering wheel - I prefer it over the earlier FIAT one. Normally it's the two sprung contacts on the the stalks breaking off that stop the horns working, or the whole stalk assembly sliding down the column so the contacts no longer touch the wheel.

Last edited:
There was also a later, similar 'rubber' horn button without the Fiat logo, apparently factory in '86, looking at the one posted today in 'for sale'
thru the facebook link.
The Italvolanti 3-spoke was part of the leather interior for '86, possibly available by itself too. (My '86 came to me with a Momo)

Last edited:
View attachment 81401
The back has the turn signal pin at the bottom.
The rubber(?) cap seems to be adequate for the action, but the springs are used for contact thru the hub.
thanks Jeff

so, with the springs, a straight swap between late and early wheels?

I hope early wheel not noticeably more dished so that more space is lost in front of the seat: not easy getting in and out already.....

Yes.

Presumably this is what you have currently on your '87 as that's the factory type for the last years. The cover "just" prises off from memory - work one side of a spoke at a time and roll the padded part over to free the second side. What is the matter with this steering wheel - I prefer it over the earlier FIAT one. Normally it's the two sprung contacts on the the stalks breaking off that stop the horns working, or the whole stalk assembly sliding down the column so the contacts no longer touch the wheel.
thanks for the reply and advice.

Yes, I have the later wheel on my 87. Each to his own, but I utterly dislike the later steering wheel: the centre is bland for no reason and the "b" hardly noticeable. The left spoke is positioned exactly where it blocks my view of instruments. There is just a total lack of aesthetic design that has gone into it. You did ask....!! Mind you, it does work well so maybe best left well alone?

There was also a later, similar 'rubber' horn button without the Fiat logo, apparently factory in '86, looking at the one posted today in 'for sale'
thru the facebook link.
The Personal 3-spoke was part of the leather interior for '86, possibly available by itself too. (My '86 came to me with a Momo)
despite my being irritated by the self effacing "b" logo on my 3 spoke, this plain horn push is better than the leaning square FIAT logo type.

Am I reading this right: the consensus is the 3- spoke wheel is more "desirable" than the 4 spoke with "weight saving" holes??

The left spoke is positioned exactly where it blocks my view of instruments.
...you'll not be buying a Scorpion/Montecarlo any time soon then - at least not the later Monte that came with the Momo wheel :eek:
the 3- spoke wheel is more "desirable"
For me, yes, maybe it's just the (perceived) extra padding, but also somewhat rarer due to lower production numbers. I think the earlier FIAT type is more "dished" i,e. closer towards you, but TBH never measured on the '82 to compare - this is what we're talking about as no ones' posted a picture yet:
1707267574522.png

Ergonomics must have been a dirty word to the designers....

Re the 3 spoke I see what you mean from that angle it doesn't look too bad, i suppose (grudgingly). Both wheels same diameter?

...you'll not be buying a Scorpion/Montecarlo any time soon then - at least not the later Monte that came with the Momo wheel :eek:

For me, yes, maybe it's just the (perceived) extra padding, but also somewhat rarer due to lower production numbers. I think the earlier FIAT type is more "dished" i,e. closer towards you, but TBH never measured on the '82 to compare - this is what we're talking about as no ones' posted a picture yet:
View attachment 81405
Sorry to hijack the tread but...
My god that interior is immaculate! I have not seen any alacantra interior without serious wear and tear. Congratz

I got you a measurement from the front edge of my silver steering wheel to the back edge of the hub - just about 88mm.
Sorry my ruler's a little wonky.
Interesting you have the leather wheel, shifter knob and boot, but not seats or door panels. Is this how leather was done in '82?
Is your top insulated?
IMG_3908.JPG

View attachment 81405
Here is another pic of a 74 wheel from the car I bought from Bernice.
1707490104819.jpeg

Back