Early steering wheel and horn internals

Not a '74 wheel, that is the "three spoke" wheel RDS has.
To me, the 4-spoke is more 'open', the 3-spoke more 'closed' being so flat across the face.

Sorry I'm a bit late to the thread.:oops:

As far as I know there were at least three different styles of horn buttons/steering wheels for the X - at least here in the states.

All of the '74s I've had had this style horn button on a black 4 spoked wheel. The contact for the horn button is riveted in three places on the wheel.
20240209_091612.jpg20240209_091635.jpg20240209_091647.jpg
These had a two piece, hard, horn button that had one large diameter spring that fit over the nut that held the wheel on.

The next type had a soft horn button (safety?), of several styles. This type used two small springs held in place outboard of the nut that attaches the wheel to the shaft. On this style the contact for the horn button is attached below the nut that holds the steering wheel on. I'm not sure when these were used. Some wheels had silver painted spokes, some black.
20240209_091456.jpg20240209_091507.jpg20240209_092646.jpg20240209_092655.jpg20240209_092743.jpg
Here is the horn this type horn button disassembled (only one of the two small springs shown).
20240209_093015.jpg

The last style (that I know of) just happens to be my fav. the leather Bertone 3 spoke.
20240209_094719.jpg20240209_094654.jpg20240209_094621.jpg20240209_094632.jpg
This wheel has a self contained plastic "button that fits into the wheel. The leather cover that claps onto the 3 spokes is pressed down to activate the horn.

BTW - There were a couple of different rim coverings for the 4 spoke wheels, some in black (pic above showing two soft buttons), others in red! Not sure if there were any other colors of leather.

Attachments

• 20240209_091456.jpg
    20240209_091456.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I got you a measurement from the front edge of my silver steering wheel to the back edge of the hub - just about 88mm.
Sorry my ruler's a little wonky.
Interesting you have the leather wheel, shifter knob and boot, but not seats or door panels. Is this how leather was done in '82?
Is your top insulated?
View attachment 81434
many thanks for the measurement.

If the other questions are addressed to me, mine is an '87 model, I have the "bland" three spoke "b" steering wheel, I do not know if leather or vynil. Shifter knob is a wooden pommel with the bertone logo, rectangular gear shift boot, padded roof and the same seat/door card arrangement (but different colour) as per ics19 photograph above.

Not a '74 wheel, that is the "three spoke" wheel RDS has.
To me, the 4-spoke is more 'open', the 3-spoke more 'closed' being so flat across the face.
yes, thanks Jefco, i have been away from the computer and unable to answer hitherto. Your understanding of my situation is correct.

Sorry I'm a bit late to the thread.:oops:

As far as I know there were at least three different styles of horn buttons/steering wheels for the X - at least here in the states.

All of the '74s I've had had this style horn button on a black 4 spoked wheel. The contact for the horn button is riveted in three places on place on the wheel.
View attachment 81484View attachment 81485View attachment 81486
These had a two piece, hard, horn button that had one large diameter spring that fit over the nut that held the wheel on.

The next type had a soft horn button (safety?), of several styles. This type used two small springs held in place outboard of the nut that attaches the wheel to the shaft. On this style the contact for the horn button is attached below the nut that holds the steering wheel on. I'm not sure when these were used. Some wheels had silver painted spokes, some black.
View attachment 81493View attachment 81476View attachment 81480View attachment 81481View attachment 81482
Here is the horn this type horn button disassembled (only one of the two small springs shown).
View attachment 81487

The last style (that I know of) just happens to be my fav. the leather Bertone 3 spoke.
View attachment 81492View attachment 81490View attachment 81488View attachment 81489
This wheel has a self contained plastic "button that fits into the wheel. The leather cover that claps onto the 3 spokes is pressed down to activate the horn.

BTW - There were a couple of different rim coverings for the 4 spoke wheels, some in black (pic above showing two soft buttons), others in red! Not sure if there were any other colors of leather.
Mike, not late at all! Many many thanks for putting together that comprehensive catalogue of possible steering wheels - the reference in that alone is worth pinning in my opinion.

Can anyone tell me what conversion works eg extra rings, spring, contactors, connectors etc are needed to convert the three spoke design to the "two spring" four spoke wheel that is the penultimate set of photographs in Mike's post? I have to travel to the car you see, and knowing in advance does help me, especially before disassembly.

cheers
RDS

Having seen the 'three spoke' design years ago in an IPD catalog, I did a little more research to verify my (admittedly poor) memory, and find it's an Italvolanti wheel. It was also available in a 4-spoke model. Whether the two makes share shaft/splines is doubtful.

RDS, you should not need any conversion parts, they should be interchangable, just have all the horn button parts.
Any hardware store spring that fits the well and is long enough should work.

Last edited:
Update: I take it ALL back. I have seen the light.....almost.

Steering wheel nut was peened over in two places but easily dealt with by a little drilling and the 24mm nut then wheel came off with minimal use of impact driver and left/right and top/bottom wiggling.

With the annoying "bland" cover removed, a nice three spoke wheel is revealed, or at least it would be if there were a stylish horn push cover to go over the revealed centre. Anyone know of one that is a direct fit? you never know, I might actually fit that instead!

Last edited:
From the pictures in post 22 (thanks MikeHynes) it almost looks like a Momo hub; Do you have access to a Momo horn button?

Thanks Jeff, you mean the one with the FIAT logo surrounded by laurel leaves?

I have tried an Astrali centre but it is way too small.

I would prefer something with a nice (not italicised FIAT) logo you see; ie something to draw the eye.

the one with the FIAT logo surrounded by laurel leaves
It would work to check fit if you have / can borrow one - design is another choice; my car came with a Ferrari-ish button in the Momo wheel.
I had an artist friend alter it into a black unicorn, and tilted it as though it were charging instead of rearing.
Lots of Momo buttons available.

nice idea Jeff: pop a photograph onto the thread; Unicorns are quite rare after all!.

I attach a photograph of the later wheel with the earlier centre push. To fit it needs alteration. It isn't bad, except for the rotten italicised squares design and the wheel does have a much more premium feel that the earlier one. so my earlier disregard for it is perhaps misplaced.

Also, here are the wheels side by side: the earlier one projects 10mm more than the later.

Attachments

• 20240217_182007.jpg
    20240217_182007.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240217_181637.jpg
    20240217_181637.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 31
Finally took that photo, includes new horn button I bought from someone here. Unicorn showing its age; my Momo is dated 1989.
IMG_3932.JPGIMG_3935.JPG

Last edited:
that's very stylish Jeff!

I now have two steering wheels and none attached to the column. Lucky I am not going anywhere at the moment....

I have put feelers out re the replacement horn push.

Back