Engine cover bump stops for 850 Spider

Dave Bassett

True Classic
Good afternoon,
I am searching for for rear deck lid bumps stops for the 850Spider. Bayless does not have them. Shipping from UK is fairly pricey. There are generic rectangular bump stops out there for modest prices. However, I do not know the most critical dimension, which is height. Any suggestions on where to get these or is anyone able to provide me with the correct height from the sheet metal lip of the back panel? Thanks

RIAuto in Switzerland has them, fairly inexpensive, would have to check RE the shipping. The fellow there that I have dealt with is named Tis, very nice guy and really helpful when we ran into a shipping issue.

Dave Bishop may have them as well, his e-mail is
dgbishop30@gmail.com

To:
  • Field, Loren J.
Wed 4/25/2018 10:55 PM
.xls

Fiat 850 Total Inventory.xls
172 KB

Should not post when fingers are fat too (prematurely sent!) - the "L" shaped rubber that I posted first keep the engine lid in place on the left/right plane. There are 4 of those, two on each side (4131203 in the diagram). Then there are two larger bump-stops on the back edge (4131204 in the diagram) which are also available:
https://www.riauto.ch/en/rear-engine-hood-stop-rubber-fiat-850-spider-sport-spider. The trailing edge of the lid rests on these.

1654950262500.png

Should not post when fingers are fat too (prematurely sent!) - the "L" shaped rubber that I posted first keep the engine lid in place on the left/right plane. There are 4 of those, two on each side (4131203 in the diagram). Then there are two larger bump-stops on the back edge (4131204 in the diagram) which are also available:
https://www.riauto.ch/en/rear-engine-hood-stop-rubber-fiat-850-spider-sport-spider. The trailing edge of the lid rests on these.

View attachment 62636
Hey Loren, thanks so much! This is very helpful.

Well, thanks to the help I got I was able to order everything I need from Riauto. Their web site is confusing and I could not find these items on it so the links really helped. Thanks.

So... they arrived. I figured out how to seat the rear stops without any difficulty but cannot figure out how to seat the side (L-shaped) stops. Any tips? Thanks guys and gals.

they have a tapered knob on the underside that pushes thru a hole in the bodywork to hold them in place, the knob has a recess that allows it to fit thru sheetmetal

fiat 4103145 rubber stopper 850.jpg

fiat 4007580 rubber stopper 600.jpg

fiat 973834 rubber stopper 500.jpg

there are a few different profiles available, but they all attach the same way

SteveC

So... they arrived. I figured out how to seat the rear stops without any difficulty but cannot figure out how to seat the side (L-shaped) stops. Any tips? Thanks guys and gals.
I had trouble getting those rear stops to seat fully and wound up breaking off the bottom knub in the process on one. How did you get yours to seat? My sheetmetal was a little dimpled down at the hole it passes through...I wonder if that is part of the trouble, too.

Actually, I set the rear stops in place and hit them with a rubber mallet... a few times.
I was trying to figure out a way to reach up inside and pull down on the tabs to pull the knubs through - granted, I didn't spend too much time on it, yet. When I tried the mallet method, that's when the knub broke off for me.

I must have gotten lucky. I just got the in by using a pair of tiny needle noosed pliers to pry the rubber flanges into their respective holes. it was sort of like putting tires on a rim, once you get it started, it follows.

Are there supposed to be bump stops that attach to the lid, on either side, to meet the rear bump stops? It looks like there is a corresponding hole. What about a rubber u-moulding to cover the raw edge at the top of the rear panel? Thanks. I am tired of rattles!

Back