FIAT 500 Reliability?

A very important thing ALL new car owners need to do is give survey feedback. It is critical for car makers to get stuff right going forward. Although laborious, the Fiat online feedback survey after a new car purchase is quite extensive and detailed. And lot of the questions are clearly indicators they have learned from their existing mistakes.

I have a thread on my new Fiat purchases somewhere, but for the Abarth I traded in my 2012 Jetta. It was the base model with rear drums (who the heck puts drums on a new car???) and I hated it. Gutless, interior parts falling apart, constant tire pressure issues (due to misshapen rims turned out), worst brakes ever (my fault since I opted for the lower-end model with drum rears). Anyway, I was SOOOO ready to get rid of this car and I was ecstatic when I decided to trade it for the 2013 Abarth. What a difference in every aspect. Yes I know, very different cars but if I looked at quality alone, the Fiat wins hands down.

Think the Fords got hammered this last year not due to mechanical issues but there hook ups to cell phones and navigation systems things I COULD GIVE A SQUAT ABOUT. Worked on a lot of Chry FWD car most of which fail at rather low mileage. Also have a friend that works in a city garage. He realy bashes the Chry cop cars compaired to the Crown Vics. Actually hoping Fiat would fix up some of the Chry cars.

Nearly 21k miles

On my 2012 Abarth and not one problem. Consumer Reports? I bought a '74 X1/9 new and am old enough to remember CR pretty much trashed the X back then. I also remember a chemical engineer neighbor who bought a Ford Cortina on their recommendation, especially his expletive-laden diatribes against that vehicle, which helped to expand my teen-aged vocabulary.

My wife's 2012 Twin Air with 23000 kM on the clock.

Have motorkhana'd (with second set of wheels), travelled with the spare wheels and travel luggage from Brisbane to Sydney's Eastern Creek raceway via the windy bits and back to Brisbane via the highway after the Fiat Nationals.

Have no problem with the car or the economy when driven appropriately but like all cars if you push it hard through windy mountainous areas it used fuel. But it is Oooohhh Soooo much fun.

Tyres wore quickly but that's expected when you drive for fun rather then economy.
Motorkhana on bitumen necessitated the second set of wheels.
The clock loosing time comment is interesting as our does that too and it is late 2012.

Car is driven every day and always brings a smile to my wife as she drives away.

The only issue we have with ours is the Orange on black display for our gauges. Difficult for older eyes to see. Must admit I like the later black on white for contrast.

Byron

My wife's 2012 Twin Air with 23000 kM on the clock.

Have motorkhana'd (with second set of wheels), travelled with the spare wheels and travel luggage from Brisbane to Sydney's Eastern Creek raceway via the windy bits and back to Brisbane via the highway after the Fiat Nationals.

Have no problem with the car or the economy when driven appropriately but like all cars if you push it hard through windy mountainous areas it used fuel. But it is Oooohhh Soooo much fun.

Tyres wore quickly but that's expected when you drive for fun rather then economy.
Motorkhana on bitumen necessitated the second set of wheels.
The clock loosing time comment is interesting as our does that too and it is late 2012.

Car is driven every day and always brings a smile to my wife as she drives away.

The only issue we have with ours is the Orange on black display for our gauges. Difficult for older eyes to see. Must admit I like the later black on white for contrast.

Byron

Byron,

Is your 500 imported from Italy or where do you know?

ALL of my Fiat's put a smile on my face whenever I drive em' for sure.

My 500 sports is an early build

I beat the snot out of my Mexican made fiat 500 sport, one of the very first ones sold.

No special issues. Just metallic red paint on one side view mirror and bright red on the other.

37k miles.

Will

mine just going off the 3 year plan, ive never had a single issue with the car. i have to say its dependable, very dependable.

On my 2012 Abarth and not one problem. Consumer Reports? I bought a '74 X1/9 new and am old enough to remember CR pretty much trashed the X back then.

Yep I have that CR from 74 still and will scan for the DF ...
....... undesirable car...:jedi:
Dealership near me has a dozen 2013 Abarths all discounted -$6K all selling for around $17K now.

Well it could be worse.... If you purchased a GT3 Porsche, a 458 Italia or a Honda Minivan in the last couple of years you would be worried about other things...

But my absolute favorite is the Chevy Cruse Recall.. For the Effing Steering wheel falling off while driving... Really After over 25 years of collection and driving all kinds of cars I have never had a steering wheel fall of while driving....

Yeah, was going to comment on that review too. These sort of reviews make you feel bad for any auto manufacturer. Did this person not even look at the car before purchasing? It is funny complaining about the interior design and lack of center console if you spent 10 minutes sitting in the car before purchasing. The wind blowing her off the freeway… :mallet:

Jeez - don't people test drive cars anymore??? I know there are long term things like seat comfort, steering sensitivity, noises that don't make themselves obvious when you test drive a car, but really? :

Review from consumer reports site (owner review)
"I bought the Fiat 500 less than 6 months ago and have never been so unhappy with a vehicle. The gas mileage is not what is advertised, the interior design is horrible, no center console, the visors do not even come close to protecting your face, the heat/ac when set on your feet blows directly, about 1/2" from your driving ankle so it either burns your ankle or freezes it. And do not let the wind blow at all because you cannot hold the car on the roadway. I do not enjoy driving anymore and can't wait to trade the car in."

The only thing I would be a little upset with is gas milage if that was your deciding factor in getting the car. My 2012 500 pop averaged 36-38 with around-town and SF city driving. Long trips it EXCEEDED 40 MPG regularly.

My 2012 was awesome for over a year and 15k miles of pure joy. My Abarth 3 months and almost 3k miles of bliss.

The L however, some issues with noisy brakes when they are cold and it is showing signs of a pull on highway so it needs to go for a check. Comfort however, the L is great. Very nice interior, seats are comfy with adjustable lumbar, etc. his/her heat/AC with auto temp control. Center nav system, backup camera, etc. I got the trekking edition.

Dealer and service experience is probably dead on though (bad) for a lot of folks. I was lucky or smart without knowing it, to buy mine at Capitol Fiat in San Jose, CA. Nothing but good experience. Yes; I have had the Abarth in for service, but it was due to road rash on a rim I missed when I bought it. I had it for a few days when I contacted them and they didn't once question me on it. They had it 4 days cuz they said they couldn't find a replacement rim and repaired mine.

I'm polish, but my fiat is Mexican

The USA fiat 500 comes from Mexico. The Europe fiat 500 comes from Poland (same assembly line used for the ford KA ...which I drove in oz.)

The new 500L is from Serbia.

FYI.. None come from China....yet!

Will

Back