FIAT 850 CAMBER COMPENSATOR SURVEY

Discussion in 'Rear-Engine Fiats' started by Frank L. Di Gioia, Oct 2, 2018.

1. myredracer

myredracer True Classic

Yes, and on the 600s too as well as other makes and models from the era. There's lots of photos on the web if you go looking. If you haven't seen it, there's a well-known video of cars on the Nurburgring track in the 70s losing control at one spot that demonstrates the phenomena. Crazy to watch - no seatbelts, helmets or safety equipment!

2. Frank L. Di Gioia

Frank L. Di Gioia True Classic

With various suspension options it can be minimized but YES, they do tuck under the outside wheel progressively going through esses in an Auto-X. One solution is OT1000 front and rear springs (1300-124), good shocks, low profile sticky tires, limit downward travel of rear A-arms with a strap or link, and move rear sway bar to front and replace rear with 1/8" larger diameter bar. However the thicker bars are also now unavailable. I'll post a pic/sketch of an easy "poor mans camber compensator" when I get a chance.

khnitz likes this.
  3. Frank L. Di Gioia

Er, make that inside rear wheel. Got it bass akwards.

4. gene cooley

gene cooley Autocrosser

But it's when the tucked under inside wheel suddenly becomes the outside wheel that there is a problem (except on Tuesday, I think). It's all really confusing........

5. kmead

kmead Old enough to know better

Yes when driven hard with good sticky tires.

6. kmead

kmead Old enough to know better

That is unfortunate news. No possibility of substituting a thicker material but cutting it narrower or thinner and going with a wider strip to get to the same spring force?

Thank you for trying in any case.

Frank L. Di Gioia likes this.
  7. twincam69

twincam69 True Classic

8. myredracer

myredracer True Classic

For anyone wondering what the real McCoy looks like, here is a genuine FAZA item that I sold earlier this year. Other than sourcing the spring steel, it'd be relatively straightforward to make something similar. Maybe use the front leaf spring from a 600 or 850? This was made in Italy.

[​IMG]

Frank L. Di Gioia likes this.
  9. dnudelman

dnudelman Low Mileage

I would imagine that if you had one to copy, some shop on one of the border towns could do it, Nogales or Tijuana.

10. Frank L. Di Gioia

I asked the spring shop here that also and he said NO. Enough money would solve any problem but the two leaf progressive nature negated anything but a major research project. Maybe a run of a thousand and a manufacturer would bother to look into it. I've ben there before both as a consumer and as a seller. On short run items the first one is $1200 and the next one is $25 once they are set to mass produce.

kmead likes this.
  11. myredracer

myredracer True Classic

Here's a photo of an 850 front leaf spring beside the Faza camber compensator. The arch in the springs is almost exactly the same.

The Faza piece leaves measure 4.2 x 45 mm. The 850 leaf is 5.0 x 60 mm and a 600 leaf is 4.9 x 53 mm. I could be off on the 600 thickness because it's on a car and is kinda rusty. Since I don't have a 600 leaf spring off a car I don't know how the arch compares, regardless a spring shop can re-arch them. I don't the spring rate between these and would have to be measured. The steel composition would also affect the spring rates. The 850 or 600 springs would obviously have to be trimmed to size.

So, it looks to me like you could take some 850 or 600 front leaf springs and make a good copy of the original camber compensator.

I have 3 sets of 850 front leaf springs available. Enough to make 6 or maybe 9 sets of compensators.

DSCF1116.JPG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 10:04 PM
    Frank L. Di Gioia, NM850 and kmead like this.